DJ Lucas wrote:

>> Dan Nicholson wrote:

>>> Ah, yes. I forgot about that one. In Mesa-6.5.2, expat is used in the
>>> intel dri drivers. I'll fix that up.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dan
>>>

>> Also, I found in the xorg-server instructions
>> '</full/path/to>Mesa-6.5.2'.  And thank you very much for getting rid of
>> that nasty sed!  There is nothing wrong with the instructions as they
>> are, but I skipped right over the word 'full' on the first run and gave
>> a relative path.  I don't know if it'd make a difference, but maybe
>> 'absolute' instead of 'full' might draw a little bit more attention to
>> it.  Not a big deal, I messed up, but maybe it could save somebody else
>> in the future.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -- DJ Lucas
>>

> And another...just a reminder for me unless you get to it first, this
> test needs to be fixed upstream and in the book:
>
> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
> test -z "/opt/X11/share/X11/xkb/compiled" || mkdir -p --
> "/opt/X11/share/X11/xkb/compiled"
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/opt/X11/share/X11/xkb/compiled': File
> exists
> make[2]: *** [install-dist_xkbcompiledDATA] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/xorg-server-1.2.0/xkb'
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
>
> Oh great!  What the heck did I destroy when I reacted to that directory
> without thinking? :-)  grep of the log for xkb reveals libX11, xkbevd,
> and xkbutils.  xorg-server wasn't logged.  I'll reinstall those three
> and see if I can figure out where it came from.  A grep for the term
> 'compiled' reveals nothing but a warning.  So, possibly
> xkeyboard-config?  I'm just here in user mode, but I should have logged
> all of it anyway.  I'll smoke it and try to reproduce it a little later
> on less you get to it first.
>
> -- DJ Lucas

Okay..sorry for spamming the list, but xkeyboard-config was the
culprit.  I didn't find it because this also was not logged.  There is a
problem however.  xkeyboard-config creates this file
$XORG_PREFIX/share/X11/xkb/compiled.  It is a symlink to /var/lib/xkb,
which does not exist.  I moved the xorg-server version of this directory
out of the way and re-installed xkeyboard-config to find that it pointed
nowhere.  So, only file there is now README.compiled which contains this:
==============
The X server uses this directory to store the compiled version of the
current keymap and/or any scratch keymaps used by clients.  The X server
or some other tool might destroy or replace the files in this directory,
so it is not a safe place to store compiled keymaps for long periods of
time.  The default keymap for any server is usually stored in:
     X<num>-default.xkm
where <num> is the display number of the server in question, which makes
it possible for several servers *on the same host* to share the same
directory.

Unless the X server is modified, sharing this directory between servers on
different hosts could cause problems.