> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 09:10:17 -0300
> From: Fernando de Oliveira <fam...@yahoo.com.br>
> To: BLFS Development List <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: [blfs-dev] lsb_release configuration [Was: ... Iced Tea 2.4.1 and
>  iced tea 2.4.5 sed unknown option to `s']
>
> Em 17-02-2014 07:53, Fernando de Oliveira escreveu:
> > Em 17-02-2014 03:47, m...@pc-networking-services.com escreveu:
>

> >> Thanks for all the effort.  As requested the output is:
> >> lsb_release -ds "7.4"  (the " are displayed in the output)
> >> lsb_release -is n/a
> >>
> >> Not exactly sure what you wish me to try.
> >>
> >> I have no problem with attempting to install a later version if needs be.
> >>
> >> Please let me know what to try.  I did install the version listed as
> >> stable in the 7.4 book.  It was that one which I replaced the / with a %
> >> sign.  Was the only way to get it to build, and hence why I am not sure if
> >> it was a successful build or not.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Christopher.
> >>

> > I think I know what happened. You forgot or did not properly
> >
> > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/7.4/chapter09/theend.html
> > (before doing the following as root, backup, if you have them, the two
> > files, just for later comparison, so you will see the problem):
> >
> > echo 7.4 > /etc/lfs-release
> >
> > In the following, replace <your name here> by what you want the codename
> > to be. In may case, it is set by jhalfs to "lfs-jhalfs". In your case,
> > you can use christopher, lfs-christopher, anything you want.
> >
> > cat > /etc/lsb-release << "EOF"
> > DISTRIB_ID="Linux From Scratch"
> > DISTRIB_RELEASE="7.4"
> > DISTRIB_CODENAME="<your name here>"
> > DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux From Scratch"
> > EOF
> >
> > This should solve your problems.
> >
> > You must do this, other software needs the lsb_release output.
> >
> > Thus,
> >
> > lsb_release -ds output comes from DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION
> > lsb_release -is output comes from DISTRIB_ID
> >
> > Notice, in the referred page: Linux Standards Base (LSB)
> >

> This problem appeared in the support page. Second time that lsb_release
> gives problem, if not installed or correctly configured. So, it seems
> that it is becoming increasingly more important.
>
> I am thinking of changing the page in BLFS to include the configuration
> file, duplicating, somehow, what is in LFS.

 - usually a bad idea; maintenance headache, quickly gets out-of-sync
 (& then just plain wrong wrt relevance), thus causng new problems, etc.

The core of the problem is, I'd suggest, that: openjdk/icedtea code does
have a bug in that it uses lsb output, and lsb uses the string 'n/a'
as a default value, and openjdk/icedtea doesn't sanitise for that in
at least the problematic sed. (IIRC that problematic sed appeared a few
years back). Whereas, openjdk/icedtea should be able to compile/work ok
whether without the lsb stuff present or with lsb present and returning
'n/a' for values. Thus, further, the lsb stuff should not be a assumed
to be(come) a prerequisite, unless the openjdk/icedtea upstream says
explicitly that it is.

Therefore I'd suggest for now at least that:
----
* on openjdk/icedtea page, include a patch that fixes the problematic sed.

  Perhaps/probably also send same or similar patch to upstream.

* on openjdk/icedtea page, a link/ref to that lfs 'chapter09/theend.html'
  material on lsb.

  Maybe even somehow formally include it in recommended/required/optional
  deps: but - ref notes above - I'd say at the present stage it'd be at
  most under 'optional', in the absence of any stronger statement from
  upstream. Again: that problematic sed doesn't necessarily mean that
  lsb is any sort of pre-requisite for openjdk/icedtea; the latter should
  be able to at least compile OK without lsb present or lsb present and
  returning 'n/a' defvals.

* on lfs 'chapter09/theend.html' page, perhaps strengthen the wordings "It
  may be a good idea" & "It is also a good idea", and give an example of
  some software that uses lsb (albeit perhaps slightly only-cosmetically
  for at least openjdk/icedtea).

  Perhaps collect the lsb stuff together in its own page in lfs or early
  blfs, if it's deemed 'important' enough now.
----

rgds,
akh