> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:58:05 -0300
> From: Fernando de Oliveira <fam...@yahoo.com.br>
> To: BLFS Development List <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>,
> Subject: Re: [blfs-dev] lsb_release configuration [Was: ... Iced Tea 2.4.1
>  and iced tea 2.4.5 sed unknown option to `s']
>
> Em 17-02-2014 11:21, akhiezer escreveu:
> >> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 09:10:17 -0300
> >> From: Fernando de Oliveira <fam...@yahoo.com.br>
> >> To: BLFS Development List <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>
> >> Subject: [blfs-dev] lsb_release configuration [Was: ... Iced Tea 2.4.1 and
> >>  iced tea 2.4.5 sed unknown option to `s']

> >> This problem appeared in the support page. Second time that lsb_release
> >> gives problem, if not installed or correctly configured. So, it seems
> >> that it is becoming increasingly more important.
> >>
> >> I am thinking of changing the page in BLFS to include the configuration
> >> file, duplicating, somehow, what is in LFS.
> >>

> >  - usually a bad idea; maintenance headache, quickly gets out-of-sync
> >  (& then just plain wrong wrt relevance), thus causng new problems, etc.
>
> Sorry, akh, I do not agree with this.

Well, there's ample examples of it happening.

(But ref last para, below: I think there may be a language issue here
re the term 'duplicating'.)

> After reading below, I believe you are thinking that lsb_release is on
> LFS,

Not even remotely so. Strange interpretation ...

> but no, installation as a package is in BLFS. But the configuration
> is in LFS. This is the problem. Took a while this morning for me to get
> the two parts together, expected the configuration in BLFS (as it was
> originally), and recalled finally that it was in LFS. That was the
> reason I told him to install lsb_release.
>

> > The core of the problem is, I'd suggest, that: openjdk/icedtea code does
> > have a bug in that it uses lsb output, and lsb uses the string 'n/a'
> > as a default value, and openjdk/icedtea doesn't sanitise for that in
> > at least the problematic sed. (IIRC that problematic sed appeared a few
> > years back). Whereas, openjdk/icedtea should be able to compile/work ok
> > whether without the lsb stuff present or with lsb present and returning
> > 'n/a' for values. Thus, further, the lsb stuff should not be a assumed
> > to be(come) a prerequisite, unless the openjdk/icedtea upstream says
> > explicitly that it is.
> >

> It was a user mistake, unfortunately, due to the two parts being in
> different books: LFS not properly configured.

I'm talking about the underlying cause. In which case, "It was a user
mistake ..." is wrong. It's a user 'mistake' on top of an underlying
bug, yes. The user should still be able to configure LSB fields with
empty-values or similar: and if lsb_... then returns 'n/a', software
using lsb_... should be able to handle that.

> > Therefore I'd suggest for now at least that:
> > ----
> > * on openjdk/icedtea page, include a patch that fixes the problematic sed.
>
> If I agree with this, other package in BLFS should have a patch, too.
> And the new programs that would be discovered to fail.

And your problem is?  ;)

If a program's not sanitising its input properly, then do you correct
the program or the input or both or neither.

Per Gregory's post, if lsb script _is_ to be maintained by distros, and
not by upstream, then maybe bring lsb_release 'in-house' and patch _it_
to at least not return the '/' , to get quick-fix of icedtea issue;
or indeed for quick-fix just require that lsb be configured, and be
configured without 'problem' characters being used. Which of course is
fragile-code terrain. Yuk.

> >   Perhaps/probably also send same or similar patch to upstream.

(They might thank you for it.)

> > * on openjdk/icedtea page, a link/ref to that lfs 'chapter09/theend.html'
> >   material on lsb.
>
> That was my first thought. Problem is that the link in svn should be to
> LFS-svn, in rc1 to LFS-rc1, in 7.5, to LFS-7.5. Too complicated, more
> than the maintainance you were thinking about, when you seemed to think
> it was in LFS.

'the maintenance you were thinking about': no, it wasn't "what I was
thinking about".

And again, no I wasn't thinking about it being in LFS: what a bizarre
interpretation ...

As for the linking: cannot the xml/xsl tools handle such stuff - shurely
they can - just like how in other parts of the book there are links to
elsewhere in same book; &/or an entity/variable whose value changes from
'svn' thru 'rc1' thru ... thru '7.5', and thus links auto-update ?

> That made me think of bringing back configuration to
> BLFS, too. IIRC, first time lsb_release appeared, the configuration was
> in BLFS, not LFS.

I'd guess that's worth a discussion between LFS & BLFS: can that lsb
stuff at end-ch09 lfs, be shifted (back?) to BLFS ?

> >   Maybe even somehow formally include it in recommended/required/optional
> >   deps: but - ref notes above - I'd say at the present stage it'd be at
> >   most under 'optional', in the absence of any stronger statement from
> >   upstream. Again: that problematic sed doesn't necessarily mean that
> >   lsb is any sort of pre-requisite for openjdk/icedtea; the latter should
> >   be able to at least compile OK without lsb present or lsb present and
> >   returning 'n/a' defvals.
>
> It is already in optional. I am intending to promote to recommended.

'already': added 3 days ago, r12706  .

> > * on lfs 'chapter09/theend.html' page, perhaps strengthen the wordings "It
> >   may be a good idea" & "It is also a good idea", and give an example of
> >   some software that uses lsb (albeit perhaps slightly only-cosmetically
> >   for at least openjdk/icedtea).
>
> This part is with Bruce and Matt.
>

> >   Perhaps collect the lsb stuff together in its own page in lfs or early
> >   blfs, if it's deemed 'important' enough now.
> > ----
> >

> It is exactly what I was proposing.

OK, maybe a language thing. You spoke of 'duplicating', i.e. having the
same thing in two different places - and thus having to (remember to) edit
the same thing in two different places each time; hence the comments about
things getting out-of-sync. Whereas now it _sounds_ like you maybe mean
_moving_ (i.e. such that there's only one instance of the info) ? Or what?

> So, at the end *we are agreeing*, what is good.

Or maybe not - depends on what you're _meaning_ (as distinct from _saying_) .

rgds,
akhiezer