Ken Moffat wrote:

>   If you mean the blank lines between the build instructions, I
> disagree.  The instructions are spread over many lines, and some of
> the instructions are unusual.  I find the extra blank lines help to
> break it up into more comprehensible sections.
>
>   If you mean something else about whitespace, what ?

Actually a couple of spaces before the lines between the pushd/popd
would be nice.  Also add a blank line before the 2nd configure.

Finally, we like to line up the backslashes, &&, --options, etc to let
the readers see the regularity in the instructions.

Something like:

pushd ../utils/asymptote                          &&
    echo "ac_cv_lib_m_sqrt=yes"    >  config.cache &&
    echo "ac_cv_lib_z_deflate=yes" >> config.cache &&

   ./configure LIBS="-ltirpc "                          \
       --prefix=/opt/texlive/2013                       \
       --bindir=/opt/texlive/2013/bin/x86_64-linux      \
       --datarootdir=/opt/texlive/2013/texmf-dist       \
       --infodir=/opt/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/doc/info  \
       --mandir=/opt/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/doc/man    \
       --enable-texlive-build                           \
       --cache-file=config.cache &&
popd &&