On 02/25/2014 12:39 PM, akhiezer wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:26:19 +0100
>> From: Pierre Labastie <pierre.labas...@neuf.fr>
>> To: BLFS Development List <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>
>> Subject: [blfs-dev] discussion about sendmail
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recently, sendmail has been archived, (see ticket #4723). There has not
>> been a real discussion about that. The reason is that the current
>> building instructions do not lead to a functional package, although
>> Armin and Igor have tried to do so. Furthermore, there are alternatives
>> (exim4 and postfix), which are deemed better than sendmail anyway. OTOH,
>> I suppose that folks monitoring this list not all follow BLFS trac, and
>> it may be interesting to hear what they have to say. That is the purpose
>> of this thread.
>>

> Yes, I was about to post here on that.
>

> Wouldn't normally such a discussion take place on -dev and only after that
> would any -book actions happen - per the notes:
> ----
> Ref: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/mail.html
> --
> "blfs-book
>     The blfs-book list is used for coordinating the BLFS Book's
>     maintenance. Traffic on it is mostly Trac and SVN commit messages. It
>     is important that all development discussion of interest to the Book's
>     users take place on blfs-dev, not here."
> ----
>

> The trac item is:
>
>       http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/4723
>
> That's a _very_ summary-'removal' of sendmail; and doesn't reflect well
> on b/lfs.
>

> "Since its build system requires IQ over 9000 to understand, I won't
> bother to try to fix it." (ibid). There are plenty of distros that build
> and use sendmail perfectly well. Very often b/lfs will avail itself of
> such instructions from other distros, for all sorts of packages, and to
> a very wide range of degrees of complexity. Yet in this case the package
> is dropped like a hot potato(/coal).

I've advised that it either should be fixed or dropped if nobody cares
about it. Current configuration (build went fine, maybe I missed that -
but the build system is still like nothing I've seen before) options do
not work, as it is pasted in the ticket. The package was lfs74_built; so
it was just indeed build tested only for previous release(s) and from
the look of that, seems that its instructions went a bit obsolete.

> What was (really) going on there, in that trac ticket?
>

> Also, the tone of "The current situation is terrible and is not copy/paste
> friendly at all. See Xorg, Qt, KDE instructions for more information." (re
> libreoffice: ref  'http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/4725'),
> together with the above sendmail stuff, sounds more like someone is in a
> rather irascible mood?

If you look at libreoffice page, you can notice that it uses <PREFIX> in
its instructions. That's insanely hard to script (you need to use sed
and all that stuff when you copy/paste it), you can't simply copy paste
it to the console (need to change <PREFIX> to the desired prefix). My
advice was that it either uses hardcoded prefix like /usr or
/opt/libreoffice or that it uses environment variables for prefix like
in Xorg, KDE, Qt instructions.

I apologize if I meant something bad by that, it was never my intention
but to make instructions work good and work for everyone.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.