Em 29-04-2014 20:04, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 09:38:11AM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>> Em 28-04-2014 13:37, Pierre Labastie escreveu:
>> different.
>>
>>> For now, I'll finish updating BLFS's gcc to 4.9.0, then build today's or
>>> tomorrow's version of LFS, and test that the current BLFS book builds (using
>>> automation as much as possible).
>>
>> I use automation for LFS, never for BLFS, unfortunately.
>>
>> I think that you, Bruce, Ken and I will be using each on a different
>> LFS-svn.
>>

>  If it matters, I'm intending to use whatever is the then-current
> LFS for all of the following - sysvinit without systemd [ My systemd
> build started out as sysvinit, then got converted. In the future
> I'll make them separate things in my scripts ], systemd, eudev [ now
> at 1.6, looks as if the fhandle requirement will be in the _next_
> release ].  Both the sysvinit [ i.e. udev from systemd ] and systemd
> versions will be throw-away systems, and one might overwrite the
> other.  Probably, all three will use a different version of LFS-svn.

ĸen,

For me, it matters very much. Thanks for the post.

By sysvinit without systemd do you mean a hybrid system running sysvinit?

>  For these, I need to check the changes in my scripts to separate
> "sysvinit" from systemd, and to update packages in BLFS.  So far,
> the two gnome applications I use (gucharmap, evince) are stuck at
> 3.10.  And I need to work out where I am going with cups (still on
> 1.7.1, to avoid avahi), and to test things on x86_64 with gcc-4.9.0.

The other post I wrote before hopefully will help with cups. BTW, it is
from upstream:

https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4402+P-1+S-2+C0+I0+E0+Q

>  I guess that is going to take most of the time I am able to commit
> to BLFS, so my edits will probably be few.
>
>> The reason for this reply is to say that you are correct. Next time of a
>> big LFS change, we all could agree on which svn version to use. I don't
>> remember what was done, before LFS-7.0 release.
>
>  In the first couple of months after 6.8, I think we had a toolchain
> change (probably gcc, but I don't remember) which impacted a few
> BLFS packages.  ISTR Andy was active in using sed to fix the
> breakages as they came to light.  Then I dropped out - doing other
> things, then I went on a couple of long holidays.  Throughout that
> time, I watched what was happening on the lists and didn't think
> there was anything to worry about.  Until I first tried to boot 7.0
> ;-)  Summary - ALL changes will hurt _somebody_, and even if we all
> build on the same version someone will still get hurt sooner or
> later.

Thanks, I really cannot remember anything of that period, don't know
why. But I understand that you confirm he was with some LFS-svn and
fixing BLFS.

>  I still prefer the idea of separate branches to trial changes, but
> svn is not branch-friendly IMHO - despite what Bruce thinks - and
> I'm not prepared to devote the time to maintaining an eudev branch,
> so I'll have to work with whatever Bruce is doing.  As he said, we
> are months away from a release.  Providing we don't lose all our
> testers, no doubt everything will be for the best, in the best of
> all possible worlds.[¹]

Agreed. And I think it has great probability of having all problems
sorted out during this time.

> ĸen
>
> 1. "Candide, ou l'optimisme" - Voltaire.  Bruce always says I'm too
> pessimistic ;-)

LOL. I don't think you are so pessimistic. You have what I think can be
called (good) dark humour. And good memory, I never remember sentences
from the books I've read.

--
[]s,
Fernando