On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 05:18:27PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 12:03:18AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
> > May I suggest that you wait a week for a lot of your efforts as we will be
> > going into a package freeze next weekend and will need to build everything
> > in both books.  I don't ask you to do that, of course, but anything you can
> > do to help is appreciated.
> >
> >   -- Bruce
> >
> At the moment, my current run is still a shakedown, and then I'll
> look again at adding distros and using my SSD.  So, continuing is
> meaningful for me, even if things change this week.

Well, I completed that run - now posting from urxvt under plasma5
fro m sddm.  Apart from the issues mentioned in my other posts, I
had to rethink how I plan to use git (for my sources) with multiple
test machines : people who have no interest in using git should look
away now!  And for everybody else, this may be more detail than you
want - but it might be helpful to somebody.

It turns out that, with my scripts in /sources/some/path I have to
use my working branch for everythign before I reboot.  Until now, I
have only updated my master branch at an LFS release, I think in
future I'll do all general updates in master.

For the test machines, I think what I need to do (after updating my
scripts) is to create a boxname-version branch (or perhaps
boxname-version-purpose - I do not mix e.g. kde4 and kde5 in the
same build).  Normally, the version will be the date.

And then checkout that branch, and from their create a -fixes branch
but do not check it out.

On the test machine, in /home/ken/local (/home/ken is not accessible
during the LFS build, which I had initially overlooked until I came
to try my first attempt) :

git clone -b boxname-date [ or boxname-date-purpose ] \
 myserver:/path/to/scripts boxname-version
 [ or boxname-version-purpose ]

and from there:
git branch boxname-version-fixes
 [ or boxname-version-purpose-fixes ]

Please note that some of the changes I commit turn out to be "not
wanted on voyage", e.g. in this build I built itstool earlier than
normal, so that I could build gtk-doc to autoreconf gtkimageview for
the gold linker, and added a test at itstool's normal position to
see if I had already built it.

At the end, or at a convenient point along the way, I then look at
my git log, make a note of the commits that I want to put into my
ongoing scripts, then change to the fixes branch and cherry-pick
them (in reverse order).

The first time I do that, when I push to my server I have to use
git push --set-upstream myserver:/path/to/scripts
boxname-version-fixes [ or -purpose-fixes ]

 - That sets the -fixes branch on the server as upstream.

After pushing, I have to go back to the main scripts (for me, they
are in my nfs mount of /sources) and merge the fixes branch to
boxname-version and/or my main branch.

This time, the first merge was fine - I did it as above.  But after
that I had a lot more fixes for my kde5 scripts and did it wrong -
in the -fixes branch on the local machine I merged the local working
branch "because I had already got up to date yesterday, and all new
commits were needed".  Bad mistake - the unwanted commits from
Saturday showed up in git log, but at the date and time when I
committed them, so far down git log.  Fortunately I spotted that and
was able to revert them before pushing - but my main git log now
shows those reverts :-(

I'm mentioning this as a public service: using git is good, but like
all flexible and powerful tools it sometimes does what you told it,
not what you intended. ;-)

ĸen