On 09/21/2016 02:49 PM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
Hi,

Quite a few packages reference the "alsa" id as a dependency, but this
id links to the introduction to alsa (which says almost nothing), not to
a specific package. Does it mean all the alsa packages are a dependency,
or just alsa-lib, or something else? If it is just some kernel
configuration, maybe it could appear on this intro page, rather than on
the alsa-lib page. If the dep is alsa-lib, we should use that page id
(alsa-lib), not alsa.

Most stuff only needs alsa to compile, but alsa-utils are still mosty very useful, as they contain stuff to control the sound, e.g. a mixer and stuff.

----------------------

multimedia/libdriv/libao.xml:      <xref linkend="alsa"/>, and
multimedia/libdriv/xine-lib.xml:        <xref linkend="alsa"/>,
multimedia/libdriv/sdl.xml:      <xref linkend="alsa"/>,
multimedia/audioutils/audacious.xml:      <xref linkend="alsa"/> and
multimedia/videoutils/mplayer.xml:      <xref linkend="alsa"/>,
postlfs/virtualization/qemu.xml:      <xref linkend="alsa"/>,
gnome/platform/gnome-settings-daemon.xml:      <xref linkend="alsa"/>,
introduction/welcome/which.xml:  packages. Note that many people may
want to use the <xref linkend="alsa"/>

I am almost sure libao needs only alsa-lib. But before checking the
others, I'd like to know whether it is worth changing those refs.

Pierre

--
decentral.ch - IT Stuff
Tim Tassonis