On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:59:28PM +0100, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> On 11/11/2016 20:01, Douglas R. Reno wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am unable to get Seamonkey, Firefox, or Thunderbird to work properly with
> > the latest SVN of BLFS.
> >
> > They all segfault with references to libpthread (expected), libnspr4,
> > libnss,
> > and libxul.
> >
> > I've recompiled the entire NSS stack (p11-kit -> sqlite -> nspr -> nss), and
> > when I get home, I'll attempt to build a debug build to see if I can debug
> > this issue further.
> >
> > Different applications give me different behavior:
> >
> > Firefox will spuriously crash (probably background rendering... again)
> > Thunderbird will crash when trying to send mail
> > Seamonkey will crash before it finishes starting.
> >
> > I'll try to investigate this later, but this is all I've been able to do
> > for days.
> >

> Same issue here with Firefox (49.0.2) (*), but I have not seen anything with
> Thunderbird, even when sending mail (I do not use seamonkey). Interestingly,
> with exactly the same build, FF 48.0.2 seems to work perfectly. Maybe it has
> something to do with the gtk3 patch, which was used in FF 48, and is not
> applied with FF 49.
>
> (*) one sure way I can crash it is to write into the "search" field.
>
> Pierre

Thanks for the thoughts (I regard this as a *serious* problem) - but
the patch (originally from fedora and also used at Arch) is no longer
applied by them - it used to fix gtk+-3.20 changes, now a version is
upstream.

My newest system is still 3.10 (I've got a newer LFS build, but I
was expecting a new version of xorg-server would be coming soon (and
I saw a comment the other month suggesting there is a new variant of
one of the libs - I forget the details, but it looked like a new lib
we don't use, possibly something like fonts2), so I've been deferring
the xorg build.

On 7.10 with recent sqlite, nspr, nss it seems fine.  But I'm still
on gtk+-3.20 and the old glib.

Which is your default engine for the Search field ?  Mine is
wikipedia.

You say you have ff-48.0.2 working on the same build - is that a
typo ?  I only see 48.0 in the releases. How about 49.0 ?

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods