On 04/09/2018 09:47 AM, Richard Melville wrote:
On 7 April 2018 at 23:48, Tim Tassonis <st...@decentral.ch <mailto:st...@decentral.ch>> wrote:

    On 04/08/2018 12:42 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

        It's disturbing that openssh still requires a 60K patch to build
        with openssl-1.1.0.  openssl-1.1.0. has been in release since
        August 2916.

    I guess that's probably because they just concentrate on their own
    libressl.

Which is why I suggested, a long time ago, that we replace openssl with libressl.  I use it and have had no issues.

Tricky situation, I think. On one hand, it's a very good thing of lfs/blfs to usually quickly follow upstream on new versions.

In the openssl case, they went for an api change with 1.1, and quite a few dependent packages did not (yet) follow, as dropping 1.0 support would break compatibility with libressl, as libressl does not seem to prioritize 1.1 support. I just looked at libressl's release notes for their latest 2.7.2 release:

 * Added support for many OpenSSL 1.0.2 and 1.1 APIs, based on
   observations of real-world usage in applications. These are
   implemented in parallel with existing OpenSSL 1.0.1 APIs - visibility
   changes have not been made to existing structs, allowing code written
   for older OpenSSL APIs to continue working.

This translates to me that full openssl 1.1 compatibility is not high on libressl's priority list, and so it looks like the situation with opensh will also not change in the near future.

Richard