On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 9:34 PM Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been working on a new book:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/basic-blfs-book/
>
> The intention is to be an intermediate book between LFS and BLFS that is
> much shorter and ease new users into BLFS and provide guidance into what
> packages are useful when initially building a system.
>
> There are only six chapters in this book.  I've spent some time trying
> to get the first two set up, but the others definitely need work.
>
> What I've tried to do is pull packages directly from BLFS, but there is
> an XML problem when the BLFS page has internal cross references that are
> not in the new book.  This shows up mostly, but not entirely in the
> optional dependencies sections.  What I've done so far is either just
> commenting these references out or converting them to external
> references.  I do not see this ever being merged back into the main book
> like we did for systemd.
>
> One new approach I am making is to present both the System V and systemd
> sections on those few pages where there are differences.  Users should
> be able to uses this book regardless of which version of LFS they
> started with.
>
> I am requesting feedback.  No comment is too trivial.  Spelling,
> punctuation, grammar, word choice, missing concepts, presentation order,
> missing or too many packages, etc are all fair game.
>
> I will note that the xml is a mess and needs to cleaned up, but right
> now I am considering this as a proof of concept.
>
> If you want to build the book yourself, the instructions I recommend are:
>
> svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/branches/basic blfs-basic
> cd blfs-basic
> make
>
> The output by default goes to ~/public_html/basic-blfs-book/
>
> All feedback is appreciated.
>
>    -- Bruce

I haven't done much reading of this one yet, but there are a few additions
I would recommend.

In particular, I think lm_sensors should be added, as well as sg3_utils.
Those are both used for system administration and monitoring. lm_sensors
provides the 'sensors' command to read sensor data out from the sensors on
the system, and sg3_utils provides utilites for manipulating the SCSI
subsystem in the kernel. Since we have parted, I'd say that fits. Although
we might want to add smartmontools as well.

In addition, systemd does not use blfs-bootscripts (We *could* combine
them, but I'd rather not mess with it right now. We'd have to make a change
to the makefile to determine what system was in use!), so the rsync page
for example will not work properly on systemd.

I'll look into this further when I'm not as busy doing updates or anything
like that, probably a day or two.