On 09/23/2018 06:35 AM, Ed Batalha via blfs-dev wrote:
Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
On 09/18/2018 09:34 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
I've been working on a new book:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/basic-blfs-book/

If you want to build the book yourself, the instructions I recommend are:

svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/branches/basic blfs-basic
cd blfs-basic
make

The output by default goes to ~/public_html/basic-blfs-book/

I have finished the initial editing of this book.  It is at the above URL.  I consider it a beta version right now.

The last round of updates merged System V and systemd sections with the appropriate designations.  This will mean that there is only one book, but that it is applicable to both versions of LFS.

I also finished converting internal references that are not in the book to external references to the full BLFS.

I intend to announce the beta on Monday and think I can make a 1.0 (8.3?) release in about a month.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for the review.

Getting started section:

A few typos:
"A sever is the simplier category. Generally this consistes of a web server such"
sever simplier consistes.

Fixed.

Also, the links have double slashes (after stable), it does not make any difference but may be worth changing
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable//xsoft/libreoffice.html

I'm not sure this is worth fixing. They are not displayed as a part of the text and multiple slashes are OK in a URL.

Oh well, I went ahead and fixed them.

More typos

"Note that the last three commands inthe script are commented out."
inthe

"as separate partitons"
partitons

Fixed

"pointed out by the scriptis where"
sriptis

Fixed

"A last convenince"
convenince

Fixed

In the Conventions section:

"

/|<REPLACED TEXT>|/

    This form of text is used to encapsulate text that should be
    modified and is not to be typed as seen, or copy and pasted. Note
    that the square brackets are not part of the text, but should be
    substituted for as well.

"
The brackets are not square, the example uses angle brackets.

For replaceable text, they are supposed to be angle brackets. Square brackets are for optional input.

typo
"For each package, any prerequsite packages"
prerequsite   prerequisite

"minimum prerequsite packages"
prerequsite

In the Notes on Building Software section:

typo
"not properly designated all the prerequsites needed to accomplish a step in the Makefile."
prerequsites

Interesting, This misspelling has been in the main BLFS book forever and has never been noticed before. Fixed in both places.

The find command
"find /lib /usr/lib -not -path "*Image*" -a -name \*.la -delete"
does not have any openldap parameters.
Should this even be here? There is a big chapter in the book about .la files...

This was taken unmodified from the full BLFS book. It was there before the section about .la files was added.

I removed the section in both books.

In section Console Fonts:

"When you find a font which to wish to use, "
should probably be: "which you wish to use"

Another error in the main book.

"it will fail if *bdftopcf* from has not been installed."
something is missing after "from".

Fixed.

Thanks for the eagle eye.  Great work.

The on-line book has been updated.