On 09/19/2018 03:32 AM, Thomas Trepl wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 18.09.2018, 21:34 -0500 schrieb Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev:
I've been working on a new book:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/basic-blfs-book/

The intention is to be an intermediate book between LFS and BLFS that is
much shorter and ease new users into BLFS and provide guidance into what
packages are useful when initially building a system.
Great stuff!

There are only six chapters in this book.  I've spent some time trying
to get the first two set up, but the others definitely need work.

Just a subject for discussion: The structure of BLFS groups the packages by
type,
meaning grouping servers together, libraries to libraries, cmdline tools to
tools and so on. Looking at the huge amount of packages in BLFS, it makes
totally sense that way. I'm thinking about to break up that structure in
BLFS-Basic and do it like we did in LFS in which we build each package in the
order they are needed by subsequently built packages. In LFS, we do not have to
document dependencies as the build order resolves them implicitly.
What if we would do it in BLFS-Basic that way? For a newby it would be easy
to start as the entry point is quite clear: its the first package in book.

For an example:
which
popt
pcre
make-ca     (regardless whether its a runtime dep for wget)
wget

My thought is to not try to list packages in sequential order, to get a gentle introduction to blfs where you sometimes have to jump all over the place to build the dependencies. Most packages I used now have very few required or recommended dependencies.

I was thinking about reordering the packages into alphabetical order though.

In the Libraries chapter, there is only one perl module and one python mpdule [sic], so it may be better to rename this sections to the actual module name:

 LWP::Protocol::https-6.07 (Perl Module)
 six-1.11.0 (Python Modules)

Thanks for the feedback.

  -- Bruce