On 8/13/19 4:44 PM, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:
On 8/13/19 11:28 PM, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
On 8/13/19 3:29 PM, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:
On 8/13/19 9:57 PM, Thomas Trepl wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 13.08.2019, 19:58 +0200 schrieb Tim Tassonis via
blfs-dev:
Hi all

For anybody using xfce4  as their desktop, I wanted to share my progress
regarding the new release.

[snip]

What about dependencies to gtk2/gtk3? Do we still need both?

An
ldd /opt/X11/bin/xf*  |grep gtk

(that's where  I have all xfce4 stuff) returns only

/opt/X11/lib/libgtk-3.so.0

so, no program, apart from xfburn (which I quickly deinstalled, just to check) links to gtk2 anymore.

On the panel plugins side, only xfce4-xkb-plugin still links to libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0, even if re-compiled.

Do we need still xfce4-xkb-plugin?  I'm not sure how we use it.

I don't think so, there is an xfce4-keyboard-settings in xfce4-settings, which should do basic stuff. As far as I remember, xfce4-xkb-plugin would allow for easy switching between keyboard layouts from the panel itself, but this is really not something you need on a hardwired desktop system.

I see the point only in vnc sessions that are used by different people with different layouts.

I see now. I had to add the plugin to the panel before I could use it, but it looks just like the one in the settings manager.

I'm not sure about your comment about a vnc. Wouldn't each user be able to set it independently using the settings manager if using something like tigervnc? It seems that it would be a very unusual situation if multiple users logging into a shared vnc session would want different keyboard layouts and even then I'd think it would have the be the vnc client controlling the keyboard.

Also, did you build gtk-xfce-engine?  I don't think we need that either.

  -- Bruce