On 10/23/20 12:00 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:22:06AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
Is there an official python recommendation for that, to quote at
them, please ?

That's a good question, but I would also like to see if there is a survey of
the major distros on the subject. I know arch has had python->python3 for a
long time, but I don't know what Debian, Gentoo, Fedora, SUSe, Slackware,
etc currently do.  Does anyone know or have access to systems that can
easily check?

In the past most had python->python2 because that was baked into the p2
Makefile.  Creating a symlink is not in the current p3 Makefile.

I think Arch followed fedora in symlinking python3 to python.

Gentoo is complicated - python is used for a lot of their build
system and they have 'slots' for multiple versions.  It looks as if
they don't have a python symlink, but I guess there could be such a
symlink while (re)building a package.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Python

Ubuntu seems to be removing /usr/bin/python from a comment re 20.04 that
somebody's desktop has it from the python-is-python2 package, but that his
other systems don't have python2
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/04/distro-news-ubuntu-2004-focal-fossa-ubuntu-mate-and-other-flavours-released/page=5
Certainly, I've seen gimp-help suggestions to use flatpack for
python2 scripting in ubuntu because of the absence of python2.

I just found out that Mint 20 has python2 and python3, but no python.

  -- Bruce