> To be short, UTC is based on atomic clocks. Because the earth revolution
> speed varies (it always decreased till 1970), in UTC time the 0?
> meridian (solar time) tends to drift East. The leap seconds are added to
> UTC to keep the 0? meridian at Greenwich.
>
> In the regions where the legal time is UTC+x, for instance Central
> Europe Summer Time, CEST=UTC+2, the difference between local time and
> UTC time is obvious. In the regions where the legal time is based on GMT
> (like UK) the difference between local and UTC requires a correction of
> leap seconds.
>
> There is a debate to abolish the leap seconds seen as a nightmare in the
> digital world (next international conference in 2015). A majority of
> countries were in favor in 2012 but the main question was how to do it?
>
> Pierre

Thanks Pierre, that's a really clear explanation.  I always thought that
GMT and UTC were much the same, and that it was a French plot to wrest
control of "time" from us :-)

Slightly off topic: can anybody say how much of the post title has to
change before it's considered a different thread.  I ask this because I
noticed right at the beginning that I had misspelt "discrepancy".  I didn't
want to change it in case it messed up the thread; OK, call me a pedant.

Richard