> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:15:00 +0200 (CEST)
> To: lf...@cruziero.com, blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org
> From: Pierre Lorenzon <de...@pollock-nageoire.net>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1):
>  Inappropriate ioctl for device
>

> Hi,
>
> Ok I made a clean test. I created a new user with no bash
> startup file neither emacs startup file.

 - the new user being under blfs and not clfs ?

> This user find itself in semae conditions than root : loading
> /etc/profile at bash start and
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el at emacs start.
>
> M-x shell still functions well for root but not for this new
> user that still recieve the same error message.
>
> shopt shows the same things for root and users.

'users' being the same newly-created user?

What about the respective 'set' and, separately, 'env' ?

> I more and more suspect that there is a wrong configured
> permissions somewhere. I verified some /dev/.... In fact I
> noticed that wehn root starts a shell under emacs a /dev/pts/x
> is created but when a user does the same thing no /dev/pts/y
> is. Nevertheless /dev/ptmx permmissions are right and when
> trying fopen( "/dev/ptmx", "rw") in a c code launched by a user
> it works and creates a /dev/pts/z !

'a user' being the same newly-created user?

What does 'ls -l' show for the actually-created /dev/pts/N when you run
the c-code for the newly-created user; and likewise for root?

And what does 'ls -l' show for the /dev/pts/n for root via emacs 'M-x
shell' ?

In particular, are the actual perms 'crw-------' or 'crw--w----' or what?

> When looking at the job.c file in bash sources I saw that it
> tries to open /dev/tty but this one is rw for the whole world
> on my system. So I don't think that this one can be guilty !

Well, there are some reports that do mention/implicate bash -vs- tty ;
incl iirc one of those stackoverflow links. Hence also the query re tty1
-vs- tty2 .

        .
        .

rgds,