On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 11:14:40PM +0100, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Monday 01 February 2016 11:47:39 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
> > My best guess is that there is something in the compiler that you built
> > that is HW dependent.  We would need to see the output of lscpu for both
> > systems.
>
> I can only give the result for the laptop, as I am far from my PC:
> quote
> --------------------
> Architektur:           i686
> CPU Operationsmodus:   32-bit, 64-bit
> Byte-Reihenfolge:      Little Endian
> CPU(s):                4
> Liste der Online-CPU(s):0-3
> Thread(s) pro Kern:    2
> Kern(e) pro Socket:    2
> Sockel:                1
> Anbieterkennung:       GenuineIntel
> Prozessorfamilie:      6
> Modell:                58
> Modellname:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz

From something I learnt the other day, -3 intel CPUs are Ivy Bridge.
So, if the machine where you originally built is -4 or later then
gmp is probably the problem.  But if not, probably a different
problem.  If it _is_ a different problem, I would try memtest86 or
memtest86+ to check the laptop.

[...]
> > If you do:
> >
> > cat > test.c << EOF
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > int main() { printf( "Testing\n"); }
> > EOF
> >
> > gcc -o testing test.c
> >
> > ./testing
> >
> > Does it work?
> >

> Works perfect !
>
> Ken: "I think you will need to rebuild gmp" The only way I see for doing it
> would be chrooting from the working partition. But I muss confess, that I am
> not sure how to do it. Do I need to go through the procedure as indicated in
> the lfs-book or would the chroot command of chapter 6 do the job ?
>
> Bruce and Ken, thanks for the help !
> Edgar

I guess that chroot, with /proc, /sys, /dev mounted, should do it -
but I haven't had to try this.

ĸen