On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 10:35:51 -0600
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll change the patch from optional to recommended in libpng.

As a general rule, shouldn't each application page list/mention any and
all special patches/functionality that an application specifically needs?

For example, suppose, heaven forbid, Firefox ever needed half a dozen
different special library patches. Ditto for GNUcash or some such.
Anything special an application needs that deviates from the "standard"
build should be noted on that application's page to document them in
a single place (most relevant to them) otherwise we might have to look
through the entire BLFS library pages to find every "way back" option
we need.

I myself have always applied the png animation patch because I didn't
see any reason why *not* to. But, if I hadn't done so it might have
been a real head scratcher when I got to Firefox.

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 07:39:09 -0600
rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:

> However, if Firefox is compiled after building BLFS it seems
> the optional patch could be missed as gtk/gdk-pixbuf/libpng
> were compiled without Firefox in mind.

For the record, what exactly happens if we miss doing this patch and
try to build Firefox using system libpng anyway? e.g., do we get a
compile error, runtime fault, or does Firefox simply not render
PNG animations?

Does anyone know if any other applications also rely on this
animation patch for libpng? Kind of a bad spot to be in to depend
on functionality that the libpng developers won't accept into the
mainstream. AFAIK, the argument was that the libpng folks want the
mng media type to handle all animation stuff, but the Firefox folks
thought that was an overkill and that png should at least be able
to do everything gif does. Thank goodness situations like this are
not very common.

  Cheers,

  Mike