As most of you know, BLFS is huge. If it is printed on paper, it would take over 2000 pages. There are over a thousand individual packages in the book.

In addition, upstream changes are released often. The average is about 3.5 packages every day, seven days a week.

Since LFS/BLFS contributions are done completely by volunteers, the upstream change rate is overwhelming our ability to keep up to date. The problem is not LFS. That is doable. The problem is the size and change rate of BLFS.

To address this, I am proposing to split BLFS into two (or possibly more) books. My tentative names are BLFS-Basic and BLFS-Advanced. BLFS-Basic is primarily command line tools and programs plus the basic Xorg section of BLFS. This would be updated regularly and a 'stable' version released every six months with the LFS book. The BLFS-Advanced book will be a 'rolling release'. We did this with BLFS between LFS versions 6.3 and 7.4 (August 2008 until September 2014).

With a rolling release, there is less consistency and a comprehensive check against the current stable LFS is not done. Packages would be frequently out of date.

For BLFS-Basic I am attaching a straw man for the contents. I anticipate that an experienced LFS builder could complete all the packages in BLFS-Basic in a day or two.

I am now looking for feedback. Are there other solutions? Is my list for BLFS-Basic too large? Is there something missing?

  -- Bruce
I. Introduction
II. Post LFS
  3. After LFS Configuration Issues