Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 3:37 PM
From: "Jared Stevens via blfs-support" <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
To: "BLFS Support List" <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
Cc: "Jared Stevens" <jared.stevens1...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Issue with Admin Access in GNOME Desktop

In AccountsService, we setup a rule for administrator access. I'm not sure this
is related, but ensure that your account is in the 'adm' group and then logout
and log back into GNOME.

Hey Doug,

We've made some progress now. After adding the account to the "adm" group, the
account now appears to show as Administrator.

However, neither the user password nor the root password still works when
clicking the "unlock" button to change user settings in GNOME Control Center.

Furthermore, a new issue has apparently manifested after making the change.
Previously, applications that required authentication to access would present
the Authentication popup as normal (such as GParted).

Now for some reason, these apps appear to "show" as loading in the top bar
before simply never opening at all.

I have gone back and reviewed all of the configuration files created after
package installs in BLFS for Polkit, GDM, polkit-gnome, Linux PAM, and
gnome-control-center, but haven't found anything EXCEPT the fact that I
apparently forgot to make the "polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop"
file at the end of polkit-gnome. Adding that file and doing a quick
logout/re-login, however, did not change anything.

I am wondering if the issue stems from a package not building correctly as
opposed to a configuration issue with authentication, but I am not sure. I'd
rather save reinstalling a whole host of packages as a last resort option if
possible.

Thanks,

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html[http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html]

Hello Jared,

Now that I have a clear picture of what you are trying to do it makes sense.
For the pop-ups to work in a gui, you need to install the ssh-ask-pass package.
 This will allow a pop-up box to appear for things like gpared, then you just
enter the password.

There is another step that you could do as well, with visudo make sure that you
have your user listed in there, and where it has %wheel you could make it so
that your normal user does not need to type a password all the time.

I have never had to mess with polkit settings or anything else bar what is in
the book.  You kept mentioning gdm which is the display manager, which is why I
sent you the links to that, as gnome can far better explain it.  I think you
were meaning to say gnome desktop, as in what you actually log in to do your
work.

Regards,

Christopher.