On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 08:04:53AM +0000, spiky0011 via blfs-support wrote:
> On 22/03/2020 05:30, Nagasayanam, V.S via blfs-support wrote:
> > Sir,
> > This is in continuation of my previous mail wherein I expressed my
> > difficulty in compiling Moxjs-60 in chroot environment in BLFS-9.1. Your
> > reply is quoted below:
> >
> > >The problem happens in chroot because '/run' is empty.  The fix when
> > >building in chroot is:
> > > # mount --bind /run /mnt/lfs/run
> >
> > Before your reply was received late last night, I went through Google
> > again and somewhere I read that compilation should be done in actual LFS
> > environment. I booted into LFS and ran 'config' command in mozjs
> > directory. It was a success, much to my relief! I then went back to
> > chroot environment and finished LXDE installation successfully.
> >
> > I request that your solution may be added in BLFS book, although I
> > approached the problem differently with success.
> > To avoid top posting, I have written a new message. Hope you don't mind.
> > Thanks for the quick response.
> > With regards,
> > Yours,
> > V S Nagasayanam.
> >
> On the Mozls-60 page just before the compile section there is a note
>
> "If installing in the chroot environment, be sure to export the |SHELL|
> environment variable or configuration of the package will fail."
>
> Did you see this part?
>
> Spike.

Hi V S and Spike -

this seems to be a different issue from exporting the SHELL
variable.  Usually I do not build a desktop in chroot, but a few
times a year I do, and it has bitten me at least three times.

I'd thought this was probably mentioned in one of the books, but
after grepping in LFS I don't think it is.

The packages which I build while in chroot are only a small subset
of what is in BLFS, but the following have now been mentioned:

firefox

When I first hit this, and found the solution, I decided to rebuild
node-js and I think that was because the log showed it had decided
that multiprocessing was not supported, but had continued anyway.

mozjs60 (68 is not yet in either visible book, but I suspect it
might be affected unless python as rewritten how the multiprocessing
package works)

For thunderbird, I'm unsure if this is needed - but it is based on
firefox-68 and firefox has needed it since at least 53, so probably.

For seamonkey I guess it will also be needed.

The key item for packages where this _is_ needed is that the error
will include

OSError: [Errno 38] Function not implemented

and the lines above that will mention multiprocessing.

So, I suppose that a copy member for all of these packages would be
appropriate.  Or perhaps combine it with the information about SHELL
although I guess node-js might not need that part.  Taking to -dev.

ĸen
--
When alle is ſayed and all is done, ye must chooſe your faces wisely,
for soon enouff ye will be playing with fyre."