On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 08:01:18PM -0400, Scott Andrews via blfs-support wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 22:46:52 +0100
> Ken Moffat via blfs-support <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 05:32:37PM -0400, Scott Andrews via
> > blfs-support wrote:
> > >
> > > *.pc files in wrong directory
> > >
> > > install -m755 -d /usr/lib
> > > mv /usr/share/pkgconfig /usr/lib/
> >
> > No.  /usr/share/pkgconfig was introduced many years ago, for
> > pkgconfig files which are not architecture-specific.  My oldest
> > remaining logs are from LFS-7.1, and at that time iso-codes, udev,
> > shared-mime-info, dbus, xbitmaps, util-macros were among the
> > packages using it.
> >
> > ĸen
>
> Most distros are moving them, check archlinux for one

If you never need to build multilib (e.g. 32-bit and 64-bit) then
moving them should not cause you any trouble.

Looking at Arch for xorgproto, the only pc file that I see mentioned
at
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/xorgproto/trunk/PKGBUILD
is applewmproto.pc which they remove as part of cleaning up the
apple stuff.  I don't see any mention of the other pc files being
moved.

Similarly, fedora, mandriva cooker are using /usr/share.

ĸen
--
Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.