On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 21:25:02 +0100
Ken Moffat via blfs-support <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 08:00:39AM -0400, Scott Andrews via
> blfs-support wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 02:06:34 +0100
> > Ken Moffat via blfs-support
> > <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 08:01:18PM -0400, Scott Andrews via
> > > blfs-support wrote:
>

> > > If you never need to build multilib (e.g. 32-bit and 64-bit) then
> > > moving them should not cause you any trouble.
> > >
> > > Looking at Arch for xorgproto, the only pc file that I see
> > > mentioned at
> > > https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/xorgproto/trunk/PKGBUILD
> > > is applewmproto.pc which they remove as part of cleaning up the
> > > apple stuff.  I don't see any mention of the other pc files being
> > > moved.
> > >
> > > Similarly, fedora, mandriva cooker are using /usr/share.
> > >
> > > ĸen
> >
> > They are in /usr/share/pkgconfig
> >

> Indeed, and yet your original post implied that Arch were installing
> them in /usr/lib/pkgconfig:
>
> | *.pc files in wrong directory
> |
> | install -m755 -d /usr/lib
> | mv /usr/share/pkgconfig /usr/lib/
>
> > Name        : xorgproto
> > Version     : 2019.1
> > Release     : 1
> > Architecture: armv7hnl
> > Install Date: (not installed)
> > Group       : Xorg
> > Size        : 4060717
> > License     : Other
> > Signature   : (none)
> > Source RPM  : xorgproto-2019.1-1.src.rpm
> > Build Date  : Fri Aug 28 11:53:31 2020
> > Build Host  : rpi.example.org
> > Relocations : (not relocatable)
> > Vendor      : Octothorpe
> > URL         : https://xorg.freedesktop.org/
> > Summary     : Combined X.Org X11 Protocol headers
> > Description :
> > Combined X.Org X11 Protocol headers
> >
> > [ putolin ]
> >

> An interesting word for snipping, somebody by another name used
> that.  I have no problem with whatever language people wish to use,
> merely mentioning it.
>
> > /usr/share/licenses/xorgproto/COPYING-kbproto
>
> Licenses can reasonably go into /usr/share/licenses (in BLFS we do
> not explicitly install them if the package does not automatically do
> that - but for anyone who provides a binary package that is a good
> idea).

Not material

> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/bigreqsproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/compositeproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/damageproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/dmxproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/dri2proto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/dri3proto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/fixesproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/fontsproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/glproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/inputproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/kbproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/presentproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/randrproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/recordproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/renderproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/resourceproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/scrnsaverproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/videoproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/windowswmproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/xcmiscproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/xextproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/xf86bigfontproto.pc
> > /usr/share/pkgconfig/xf86dgaproto.pc
>
> But you started by saying that /usr/share/pkgconfig is the wrong
> directory.

That is correct, But.........

You said they were in /usr/lib/pkgconfig, they are
in /usr/share/pkgconfig.

I rebuilt the package according to BLFS and posted the result.

> Those all match the canonical Arch install at
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/xorgproto/

I moved them to were they should be, for consistency

> I repeat: you can do what you want for pkgconfig files on a
> non-multilib build.  But saying that Arch are installing them in
> /usr/lib is at best misleading.

The ones that are in /usr/share/pkgconfig are not architecture specific
at least the packages I have built.  That means it is NOT an issue on
multilib.

Who does that?
How many people even run multilib?