Completely agree. And xp isn't that much slower on a 7200rpm external
desktop hdd either, so xp would be perfect on an ssd. As for Windows
7, I second that as Windows 7 has given me every kind of audio problem
there is except major lag. Nothin like playing The Gate all the way
through with vinyl-like pops and clicks throughout the whole game.
Which reminds me, Wine chokes when it comes to games utilizing Elias.
Psycho Strike and The Gate all don't work. Manamon does, oddly enough,
but the others don't. Unless anyone has gotten them to work
successfully and can hand us their wrapper.

On 8/6/17, Sabahattin Gucukoglu <listse...@me.com> wrote:
> Where's the benefit of Windows 7 in this or any other gaming scenario? I
> honestly can't think of one, aside from those games that aren't compatible
> with XP. And while I accept that XP is old and hard to support (Lord knows
> I've been pushing people to upgrade), it's also lightning fast in a VM
> backed by an SSD and has no 3D audio issues.
>
> For the audio latency issues, it's a simple change to your VMX file. In
> VMWare Fusion at least, XP guests are guaranteed to have the correct
> hardware, the Ensoniq virtual PCI audio device. A full description of
> tweaking the latency is here:
> https://blog.bryansmart.com/2012/02/16/low-latency-sound-for-vmware/
>
> I would use the shell, rather than TextEdit. Much less fiddly. I can get
> away with a value of 15 ms for most games.
>
> Recently I have also taken to using Wine. This really does provide the
> ultimate experience. But it falls down rapidly when any kind of TTS is
> involved (you can't customise it easily) or when, as with the BSC games,
> you've got important information displayed in GUI dialog boxes. So you may
> find that XP provides the better solution for most situations. I think Wine
> is important, though, because a big part of gaming is making it instant
> access--something you just can't realistically do, on any platform, when
> you've got virtualisation involved. At least, not yet.

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#117614): https://groups.io/g/blind-gamers/message/117614
View All Messages In Topic (16): https://groups.io/g/blind-gamers/topic/5742504
New Topic: https://groups.io/g/blind-gamers/post