Simple test, ask him about physical space.

EG if your standing in your living room, with the sofa behind you and the door to your left, and you turn to face the door, the sofa is now on your left.

Better still if he has an Iphone or other smart phone device get him to activate the compass and turn around physically.

for me at least, once I understood the physical difference between absolute directions and where I was facing relative to them, getting the compass in shades of doom and other first person titles was no problem.

Hth.

All the best,

Dark.