Hi Ron
Adobe PDF Document Start

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) FACT SHEET
THE AFCI

The "AFCI" is an arc fault circuit  interrupter. AFCIs are
newly-developed  electrical devices designed to protect  against fires
caused by arcing faults in the  home electrical wiring.

THE FIRE PROBLEM

Annually, over 40,000 fires are attributed  to home electrical wiring.
These fires  result in over 350 deaths and over 1,400  injuries each
year

1

. Arcing faults are one  of the major causes of these fires. When
unwanted arcing occurs, it generates high  temperatures that can ignite
nearby  combustibles such as wood, paper, and  carpets.

Arcing faults often occur in damaged or  deteriorated wires and cords.
Some causes  of damaged and deteriorated wiring include  puncturing of
wire insulation from picture  hanging or cable staples, poorly installed
outlets or switches, cords caught in doors  or under furniture,
furniture pushed against  plugs in an outlet, natural aging, and cord
exposure to heat vents and sunlight.
HOW THE AFCI WORKS

Conventional circuit breakers only respond to overloads and short
circuits; so they do not  protect against arcing conditions that produce
erratic current flow. An AFCI is selective  so that normal arcs do not
cause it to trip.

The AFCI circuitry continuously monitors current flow through the AFCI.
AFCIs use  unique current sensing circuitry to discriminate between
normal and unwanted arcing  conditions. Once an unwanted arcing
condition is detected, the control circuitry in the
Ault, Singh, and Smith, "
1996 Residential Fire Loss Estimates", October 1998, U.S. Consumer

Product Safety Commission, Directorate for Epidemiology and Health
Sciences.

AFCI trips the internal contacts, thus de-energizing the circuit and
reducing the potential  for a fire to occur. An AFCI should not trip
during normal arcing conditions, which can  occur when a switch is
opened or a plug is pulled from a receptacle.
Presently, AFCIs are designed into conventional circuit breakers
combining traditional  overload and short-circuit protection with arc
fault protection. AFCI circuit breakers  (AFCIs) have a test button and
look similar to ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)  circuit
breakers. Some designs combine GFCI and AFCI protection. Additional AFCI
design configurations are anticipated in the near future.
It is important to note that AFCIs are designed to mitigate the effects
of arcing faults but  cannot eliminate them completely. In some cases,
the initial arc may cause ignition prior  to detection and circuit
interruption by the AFCI.
The AFCI circuit breaker serves a dual purpose - not only will it shut
off electricity in the  event of an "arcing fault", but it will also
trip when a short circuit or an overload occurs.  The AFCI circuit
breaker provides protection for the branch circuit wiring and limited
protection for power cords and extension cords. Single-pole, 15- and 20-
ampere AFCI  circuit breakers are presently available.
WHERE AFCIs SHOULD BE USED

The 1999 edition of the National Electrical Code, the model code for
electrical wiring  adopted by many local jurisdictions, requires AFCIs
for receptacle outlets in bedrooms,  effective January 1, 2002. Although
the requirement is limited to only certain circuits in  new residential
construction, AFCIs should be considered for added protection in other
circuits and for existing homes as well. Older homes with aging and
deteriorating wiring  systems can especially benefit from the added
protection of AFCIs. AFCIs should also  be considered whenever adding or
upgrading a panel box while using existing branch  circuit conductors.

INSTALLING AFCIs

AFCI circuit breakers should be installed by a qualified electrician.
The installer should  follow the instructions accompanying the device
and the panel box.

In homes equipped with conventional circuit breakers rather than fuses,
an AFCI circuit  breaker may be installed in the panel box in place of
the conventional circuit breaker to  add arc protection to a branch
circuit. Homes with fuses are limited to receptacle or  portable-type
AFCIs, which are expected to be available in the near future, or AFCI
circuit breakers can be added in separate panel boxes next to the fuse
panel box.
TESTING AN AFCI

AFCIs should be tested after installation to make sure they are working
properly and  protecting the circuit. Subsequently, AFCIs should be
tested once a month to make sure  they are working properly and
providing protection from fires initiated by arcing faults.

A test button is located on the front of the device. The user should
follow the instructions  accompanying the device. If the device does not
trip when tested, the AFCI is defective  and should be replaced.
AFCIs vs. GFCIs

The AFCI should not be confused with the GFCI or ground fault circuit
interrupter. The  GFCI is designed to protect people from severe or
fatal electric shocks while the AFCI  protects against fires caused by
arcing faults. The GFCI also can protect against some  electrical fires
by detecting arcing and other faults to ground but cannot detect
hazardous  across-the-line arcing faults that can cause fires.

A ground fault is an unintentional electric path diverting current to
ground. Ground  faults occur when current leaks from a circuit. How the
current leaks is very important.  If a person's body provides a path to
ground for this leakage, the person could be injured,  burned, severely
shocked, or electrocuted.
The National Electrical Code requires GFCI protection for receptacles
located outdoors;  in bathrooms, garages, kitchens, crawl spaces and
unfinished basements; and at certain  locations such as near swimming
pools. A combination AFCI and GFCI can be used to  satisfy the NEC
requirement for GFCI protection only if specifically marked as a
combination device.  Drag
Page Menu

8.5 x 11 in
Status