Hi Guys,

I can't believe I did that!  Dale, Bill, you were correct.  The threads on
these things are reversed.  Duh!

I was simply following the Home Depot guys instructions, which were...
"Put the removal bit in your drill, go slowly, then back out the screw."
Rather incomplete instructions.  I just had my wife actually read the
instructions.  You're supposed to drill the tool in reverse into the screw
head, give it a tap with a hammer, and then back the screw out with a
wrench.  Lo!  And behold!  It works... when you follow the instructions.

Dale, as for disorganizing the sizes in the set, they came in a handy little
pack... much like a set of drill bits.  So far, after one day, I still have
them in their proper spaces.  Good thing.  I, too, am likely to toss a bit
onto a workbench, followed by another, and another... til finally, the
disorganization is complete.

And, I too, have a real problem holding a hand drill on the horizontal or
verticle.  But, for screws with stripped heads embedded in a wall, there's
not much choice.
These screws were holding horizontal wood shelf braces on the side and rear
walls of a closet.  I was having so much trouble that I finally decided to
try and pry the wood off the walls with a crowbar.  Again... Duh!  All I
succeeded in doing was punching a hole in the wall with the crowbar.
Note to self:
Next time you use a crowbar against drywall, be certain there's a stud
behind the spot which will take the brunt of the effort!

--Barry