  From: Tom Fowle
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 2:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Talking tape measures

  The cobolt unit has a tape with a holes that run through a sprocketed wheel
  inside the box.
  This, presumably, turns a digital shaft encoder that tells the
  microprocessor how many counts it's moved. These encoders can count several
  hundred counts per revolution of a shaft, so accuracy isn't a big deal.
  usually there is not a direct way for the encoder to know it's
  precise position except by counting
  from zero, so there is probably some other means of telling when the tape
  is actually all the way in, thus the complaint,"tape is not in."
  which is not always reliable.

  I don't immediately know why the cobolt unit seems to be flaky, unless
  the zero detection is bad.

  I've seen other digital tapes without speech and they used wnritely
  different position detection systems which we couldn't
  figure out.

  I've written to both Cobolt and other manufactureres of digital tapes wanting
  to help them produce a better unit for free consulting,
  and, like always happens, gotten no response at all.

  I'm sure they think, well we're selling them, they must be fine.

  It's fowle's first rule of capitalism, it doesn't matter if it
  works, it only matters if they can sell it.

  Tom