Thanks Clifford,

Not quite a complete recovery yet, I still get a pretty sore ankle & foot from
time-to-time, they figure because the breaks were so close to the ankle I may
well have increasing arthritic pain for the rest of my life but we will see
about that.

There is presently work being done on optically analyzing blood sugar by use of
some sort of LASER technology. It is hoped that this would be used to regulate
Insulin pumps for Insulin dependent diabetics. There is an electronic system
too used on a wrist watch sort of device, none talk as far as I know but the
method too is fairly unreliable, there are a wide range of factors which alter
electric skin resistance so this isn't promising.

I don't know how much research is going into continuous monitoring like the
LASER and I can't imagine any manufacturing motivation for a supplies free
system with no ongoing consumables to purchase. Eventually it will happen
probably out of a university laboratory with public funding though. Otherwise I
am unaware of any bloodless testing method presently available. That doesn't
mean it isn't available just that I am unaware of it.

Regardless of the short comings of the Prodigy Autocode Talking Glucometer it
is small, pretty darn accurate, easy to use and of similar price to those used
by sighted folk. We don't get access to all functions but what it does for us
it does well. Once I passed an undetected kidney stone about the size of a
kernel of corn my blood sugar has been coming steadily down I have reduced my
Metformin to three half tablets a day and looks like I will be able to drop it
some more.

I am off to Timmins early tomorrow morning for two days of the North-Eastern
Ontario Stroke Network stroke convention. I am only moderately interested in
the programme this year but like to support the group and it will give an
opportunity to network with other professionals in this region which is about
1500 square miles. We don't get together too often.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens