Robert, If I may suggest you feel up a few pinic tables to see  the
difference in working to assemble. my opinion  would be  with the  a
farme unit with attached bench's. a couple of reasons and also you
need not worry about a bench tipping over. as for the top use a
standard length  8 foot  2 by 6 and space them with nails  in between
the boards until fastened down with carriage bolts, quarter inch are
fine. . I've  built 2 of these, one 8 foot long and the last is 12 fet
long but leaving the bench's at 8 feet and leaving the ends open for two
friends in wheelchairs to roll under easy. another important thing to do
when you are all done is  borrow or buy or rent a power sander and round
offf all the corners.. Oh the nails I mentioned for spacers, actually I
used the carriage bolts as spacers until  all were  fastened down with
two nails to hold it in place and then the carriage bolts  making
assembly  easy as pie.. I got my angle for the legs from a neighbors
table by just making a nail marking on my first  `2 by 6. Lee

 On Sat,
May 17,
2008 at 03:32:28PM -0600, Robert Riddle wrote:
> Well I have a couple of projects coming up. A deck railing and a picnic table.
> Our deck is funny. We've got two doors on it, with steps going off each door
> and their own rail. I want to put a rail across the middle section of the
> deck parallel to the house and attach it to the existing rail posts coming
> out of the ground. I think I can get away with just attaching ballisters to
> the deck framework and not have to sink additional posts into the ground. I'm
> gonna have to get everything cut at the store though, as I don't have any
> power tools on hand, so this is gonna be interesting.
> Next up is building a picnic table. I'm debating between building a typical A
> frame style table, with the bench built in, or a long tressle style with
> detachable benches. Seems to me the tressle style would be simpler becaus
> it's basically just a board on 4 legs. I'm no expert at woodworking so I
> think the simpler approach would be best.
> Anyway that's what's on my plate over the next month or so, along with a few
> simple tasks. Feel free to offer any suggestions that might make my life
> easier lol.

Bullwinkle:     You just leave that to my pal.  He's the brains of the outfit.
General:        What does that make YOU?
Bullwinkle:     What else?  An executive.
                -- Jay Ward
Do you Jabber? I do. My JID is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]