I think it was Dan that gave you a tip on considering a palm nailer.  If you 
have an air compressor, this is probably the most versatile nailer you'll find. 
 A palm nail kit comes in a case and you can change tips and drive nails from 
fairly small finish nails to the huge framing nails.  I forget off hand how 
large mine goes  but it gets larger than I use in building a house.  I know 
I've driven a #40 nail with it, and that is big.

What you have to know before shopping is what will you use a nail gun for most 
often.  Do you find you build large projects?  Out buildings, garages, houses?  
Then a framing nailer is worth considering.  But they are limited as to what 
you can use them on.  You'll never be able to use a framing nailer on a cabinet 
or jewelry box.  

If you do smaller projects like furniture or trim work, then a brad nailer or 
finish nailer is more what you would need.  

Over time I've caught a special on one kind or other and now I have a framing 
nailer that shoots a 3.5 inch nail if I need it to.  I have an 18 gauge brad 
nailer, a combination brad and stapler, 2 palm nailers and the 18 volt finish 
nailer from Dewalt.  But I use them all at different times so they aren't just 
taking up space I really don't have.  

The beauty of the palm nailer is you don't have to load it, and you aren't 
stuck with one type of nail.  You buy the nails separately and you can drive 
them as deep as you want.  Just stop pushing when you get the where you want 
the nail.  It stops automatically when the nail reaches the surface.  They are 
a bit noisy, like a small jack hammer but I can't find much to complain about 
with mine, and I can complain about most anything...


  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Agent86b 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:27 AM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] purchase air nail gun


  Hi all,
  sorry to ask again so soon, but I was hopeing to go shopping tommorrow.
  Can anybody advise me what to look for when purchasing an air nail gun?
  thanks for any help.
  Max. 



   

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to