The ground does not need to be heated 4 foot deep to melt the snow on the
side walk.  this is a snow melt system, not a keep snow off my walk system,
so in really cold snows, or fast, deep accumulations, there will be build up
on the sidewalk or drive, but the system will get it all melted.

The heating wires are put in the concrete about 1.5 inches below the
surface.
50 watts is about 170 BTU. 1 watt is 3.412 BTU.
1 sq/ft of concrete that is 1.5 inches deep is about 11.1 pounds.
it takes 0.2 BTU to raise 1 pound of concrete 1 degree F.
To raise the temp to 32 degrees F from 0 degrees F, it would be 71.04 BTU's
Okay, that leaves us with 98.96 BTU's
Going with a medium snow, not real wet and heavy, but not real light and
fluffy, the snow would weigh about 10 pounds per cubic foot.
and if we get an inch of that in 1 hour, that would be 0.83 pounds.
it takes 0.5 BTU's to heat ice by 1 degree f.
To bring the snow from 0 to 32 degrees f, it would take 13.28 BTU's
Now, this is the real BTU hog, it takes 144 BTU's to go from ice at 32
degrees F to water at 32 degrees F, per pound.
That would be 119.52 BTU's in our example.
The total BTU's so far is 204.38, so that puts us into our second hour,
cause we only have 170 BTU's per hour.
In the second hour, we wont' need the full 71.4 BTU's cause the concrete is
already warmed to 32 degrees F, but it will take some BTU's to maintain that
temp, lets say 30% of the original to make it 21.31 BTU's to maintain the
concretes 32 degree temp.
total 225.69 BTU's.
Because heat moves to cold, we will waste BTU's heating the concrete below
the wires as well.  Lets say we use another 100 BTU's to heating the
concrete below the wires during the time it is melting the snow on top.
Total 325.69 BTU's
go with 340 BTU's to add some extra in for the heck of it.
So 2 hours to melt 1 inch of snow, and the use of 100 watts per sq/ft.
15000 watts for a 3 by 50 sidewalk.
15 KW times $0.12 per KW, and you get $1.80 to remove 1 inch of snow.
If 1 inch takes 2 hours, and if 8 inches would take 16 hours, then we would
be talking about $28.80 to have a snow free sidewalk.
Then, if the average snow fall is 60 inches for the year, that would be
about 120 hours of use, and $216.00.

of course, there are other variables that you would need computer modeling
to take into effect, like speed of winds, and the thermal loss of the
concrete, and insulation value of snow after it starts to accumulate, rate
of snow fall, etc... but if it costs lets say even $400 a year to remove 60
inches of snow for your sidewalk, that is cheap compared to being in eh
hospital because of a heart attack from shoveling that much.

Possibly cheaper then paying someone to do it as well, not to mention,
waiting on them to get it done.

Oh, best I could find was raw turkey rolls being0.81 BTU's to heat by 1
degree for 1 pound.

Michael

  _____