  From: Terry Klarich
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 12:00 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Table saw injury report.

  I'm in favor for the Saw Stop for those who want to pay for it. The Saw Stop
people are trying to make it a law that their product
  is a mandatory feature of all saws sold. I have a problem with this because I
feel I should have the option to have the saw stop
  or not. I agree, the saw is very nice and smooth; but, this is true for the
nicer contracter saws and on up to the cabinet saws.
  I know exactly what you are saying about blade tilt between the Saw Stop saw
and the craftsman. I experienced this upgrading from
  my ridgid contracter's saw to my grizzly cabinet saw.

  Saws are dangerous. They cut stuff with a lot of power behind the blade.
People need to realize this before they use one. All
  the manufacturers all have explicit warnings in their documentation. I look
at all this like the lady who sued McDonalds for
  spilling hot coffee in her lap. I'm sure it was painful and a horible
experience; but, it was her fault.

  Terry

  On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 19:48:13 -0500you write:

  >Hi Woodworkers;
  >I do agree with Bob, that good table saw techniques are needed no matter how
safe your saw is. The problem is that a beginner mus
  >t start some where. Not all the blind have training available.
  >
  >I have nicked fingers and have had wood thrown into my chest in the past,
but not for a very long time.
  >I also believe that Blind Woodworkers are safer woodworkers than sighted
woodworkers in general.

  >I would like to speak in favor of the Saw Stop.
  >I dry a lot of my own wood, and wet wood can fire the safety feature. A nail
in the wood is a more common reason for a misfire.
  >The Saw Stop does a have a mode where you can test the wood ahead of time to
see if it will fire on the wood. This test is done w
  >ithout the blade running. But if I had two misfires, I still would be
willing to buy another cartridge and blade.

  >Another point about the Saw Stop is that it is a very nice table saw. I took
an angle measurement with a TO bevel. I took that m
  >easurement to a dado blade on the SawStop, turn the wheel, and I was very
impressed on how easy it was to bring the blade to that
  >angle. With my craftsman table saw, I would have to go back and fourth
several times to get that angle. With the Saw Stop, I was
  > able to bring the blade right to that angle. So to make sure, I went past
and then went down. It was very easy.

  >The fence is very easy, but many saws have that kind of fence.
  >
  >Over all, even with the safety feature turned off, it is an excellent saw.
But it is hard to beat with the safety feature on.