John,

I was all ready to write this snarky response about digging massive
footers, many bags of concrete, blah blah blah.  All to support a couple
of steps.  Then I realized you are in Florida, which means your water line
is down around six inches or so, which might be problematic for digging
those deep footers.

You said you are using bricks.  Are these the regular brick sized bricks,
like 2 or 3 inches by 8 inches long?  If so, maybe you could try using
some large stepping stones instead.  This could help to spread out the
weight over a larger area and might prevent the stones from sinking as
quickly.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi