  From: john schwery
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:46 AM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] supporting outdoor steps?

  Dan, thanks. Yep, the regular bricks. So, we may get some bigger stones.

  Ron, thanks for your help as well. Good idea,
  compacting the soil. Thanks for any other help from others, in advance.

  earlier, Dan Rossi, wrote:

  >John,
  >
  >I was all ready to write this snarky response about digging massive
  >footers, many bags of concrete, blah blah blah. All to support a couple
  >of steps. Then I realized you are in Florida, which means your water line
  >is down around six inches or so, which might be problematic for digging
  >those deep footers.
  >
  >You said you are using bricks. Are these the regular brick sized bricks,
  >like 2 or 3 inches by 8 inches long? If so, maybe you could try using
  >some large stepping stones instead. This could help to spread out the
  >weight over a larger area and might prevent the stones from sinking as
  >quickly.
  >
  >--
  >Blue skies.
  >Dan Rossi
  >Carnegie Mellon University.
  >E-Mail:<mailto:dr25%40andrew.cmu.edu>d...@andrew.cmu.edu
  >Tel:(412) 268-9081

  John
  Currently in Ocala, Florida Clear, 78°F Wind:ESE-120° at 5mph
  "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."
  Created by Weather Signature v1.31 . http://www.weathersig.com