Betsy is quite correct, it's going to take a couple cycles to get the entire
oven stabilized.

I wouldn't rely on an instant read digital thermometer any more than the
built-in thermostat to be accurate.  Actually I think
the spring unit is more likely to be better since you probably
won't be able to get a good mercury unit.

Just cause it's digital doesn't mean it's accurate.

Tom Fowle