So, let me start wit a big caveat:
I am just an internet end-user and have no insight into the ISP side of things.
Nor am I a lawyer and hence might moss some of the subtleties of the regulation
and their translation into law in each member state.

> On Sep 30, 2023, at 14:42, Vint Cerf <v...@google.com> wrote:
>
> the phrase "treat equally" can (maybe should?) be interpreted as offering the
> same options for traffic handling to all parties on the same terms and
> conditions.

        [SM] Let me start with noting that, clearly selling internet access
links with different maximum capacity is established practice in the EU (as in
most/all other markets), and has been before and after the regulation was
published and converted to national law in the member states*. The EU
regulation contains some rules about how ISPs are allowed to market these
speed/capacity numbers and which remedies end customers have when the ISP
under-delivers (as well as making the national regulator responsible to create
methods to actually assess achievable capacity). So on the consumer side this
is pretty clear (and the regulations encompasses all parties buying access
service as end-customers, so a content provider buying internet access will
covered just as a privat hoisehold.

*) There are however unicorn ISPs like Switzerland's Init7 that offered 1Gbps,
10 Gbps or 25 Gbps symmetric internet access links for the same monthly price
(they recently seemed to have dropped the 1 Gbps tier, but 10 or 25 still cost
the same relative low CHF 64.75/month); the main difference is the initial cost
differs (probably to cover the cost of the more expensive optics at the optical
switch in the CO). But again that is clearly NOT the norm ;) and as much as
would wish otherwise Switzerland is not a member of the EU...

Here is the first clause of the preamble (see
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32015R2120 ):
(1)
This Regulation aims to establish common rules to safeguard equal and
non-discriminatory treatment of traffic in the provision of internet access
services and related end-users’ rights. It aims to protect end-users and
simultaneously to guarantee the continued functioning of the internet ecosystem
as an engine of innovation. Reforms in the field of roaming should give
end-users the confidence to stay connected when they travel within the Union,
and should, over time, become a driver of convergent pricing and other
conditions in the Union.

making it clear that this mainly focusses on internet access (and mobile
roaming, but that seems less relevant for this thread).

> If there is only one class of service, then equally is the only option.

This would likely be other/non-internet accesss or specialized services in the
parlance of the regulation:

(16)
There is demand on the part of providers of content, applications and services
to be able to provide electronic communication services other than internet
access services, for which specific levels of quality, that are not assured by
internet access services, are necessary. Such specific levels of quality are,
for instance, required by some services responding to a public interest or by
some new machine-to-machine communications services. Providers of electronic
communications to the public, including providers of internet access services,
and providers of content, applications and services should therefore be free to
offer services which are not internet access services and which are optimised
for specific content, applications or services, or a combination thereof, where
the optimisation is necessary in order to meet the requirements of the content,
applications or services for a specific level of quality. National regulatory
authorities should verify whether and to what extent such optimisation is
objectively necessary to ensure one or more specific and key features of the
content, applications or services and to enable a corresponding quality
assurance to be given to end-users, rather than simply granting general
priority over comparable content, applications or services available via the
internet access service and thereby circumventing the provisions regarding
traffic management measures applicable to the internet access services.
(17)
In order to avoid the provision of such other services having a negative impact
on the availability or general quality of internet access services for
end-users, sufficient capacity needs to be ensured. Providers of electronic
communications to the public, including providers of internet access services,
should, therefore, offer such other services, or conclude corresponding
agreements with providers of content, applications or services facilitating
such other services, only if the network capacity is sufficient for their
provision in addition to any internet access services provided. The provisions
of this Regulation on the safeguarding of open internet access should not be
circumvented by means of other services usable or offered as a replacement for
internet access services. However, the mere fact that corporate services such
as virtual private networks might also give access to the internet should not
result in them being considered to be a replacement of the internet access
services, provided that the provision of such access to the internet by a
provider of electronic communications to the public complies with Article 3(1)
to (4) of this Regulation, and therefore cannot be considered to be a
circumvention of those provisions. The provision of such services other than
internet access services should not be to the detriment of the availability and
general quality of internet access services for end-users. In mobile networks,
traffic volumes in a given radio cell are more difficult to anticipate due to
the varying number of active end-users, and for this reason an impact on the
quality of internet access services for end-users might occur in unforeseeable
circumstances. In mobile networks, the general quality of internet access
services for end-users should not be deemed to incur a detriment where the
aggregate negative impact of services other than internet access services is
unavoidable, minimal and limited to a short duration. National regulatory
authorities should ensure that providers of electronic communications to the
public comply with that requirement. In this respect, national regulatory
authorities should assess the impact on the availability and general quality of
internet access services by analysing, inter alia, quality of service
parameters (such as latency, jitter, packet loss), the levels and effects of
congestion in the network, actual versus advertised speeds, the performance of
internet access services as compared with services other than internet access
services, and quality as perceived by end-users.

As an non-jurist I would gather that (17) above can be a bit tricky to police,
but as long as an ISP is not actively using such services to monetize giving
users a remedy for their own congested normal internet access offering
something like this is not an issue. Also while the regulation does not mention
interconnection at all, the interpretation of the EU's regulatory agencies
(BEREC) explicitly treats it as something different:
https://www.berec.europa.eu/sites/default/files/files/document_register_store/2022/6/BoR_%2822%29_81_Update_to_the_BEREC_Guidelines_on_the_Implementation_of_the_Open_Internet_Regulation.pdf
"       • CAPs are protected as end-users under the Regulation in so far as
CAPs use an IAS to reach other end-users. However, some CAPs may also operate
their own networks and, as part of that, have interconnection agreements with
ISPs; the provision of interconnection is a distinct service from the provision
of IAS.

        • NRAs may take into account the interconnection policies and practices
of ISPs in so far as they have the effect of limiting the exercise of end-user
rights under Article 3(1). For example, this may be relevant in some cases,
such as if the interconnection is implemented in a way which seeks to
circumvent the Regulation.9"

As long as ISP do not use interconnects to blatently violate the articles of
the EU directive they are out of scope for this regulation. I believe the
assessment is that there is a healthy enough market to self-control. I lack
real data to be able to assess the validity of that judgement, but I am willing
to accept it as probably correct ;).

> If there are multiple classes of service, then these could (should?) be
> available to all customers indiscriminately. For example, there might be
> several distinct services with different maximum bit rates;

        [SM] As I mention above, different access rates are fine with the
regulation, as are different prices, and ISPs are also free (at least from the
perspective of the 2015/2120) to set any prices and rates for their plans as
they see fit (resulting in clearly different prices for similar conditions
between different european countries, this is also not a problem for the
regulation*)

*) This and other regulations however expect more or less that any union
citizen will be able to get the same price from the same ISP in the same
country, so TelakomA might charge me X in Germany and Y in Austria, both need
to charge the same whether a customer is from Germany or Austria as long as the
customer books in the same country. The EU hopes that prices will converge
inside the union, but it does not enforce this.

> the higher rates possibly available for a higher charge. If there is
> discrimination, it should be on the basis of customer choice and not dictated
> by the provider.
>
> Is that consistent with the European interpretation?

        [SM] For end-customers plans, yes this is fully aligned with the
directive, the idea, to put it bluntly, seems not have been to completely
disrupt the existing market, but merely prohibit attempts of ISPs to unduly
exploit their often near-monopoly on customer eye-balls*. And I would say this
all in all has worked pretty well (again, maybe not perfectly, but I am fine
with "good enough").

If you have time the whole thing is worth a read as are the implementation
guidelines, independent on whether you finally agree or disagree with the
position the EU has taken on this matter. It will however cost some time and is
written in the kind of language that quickly makes me drowsy.

Regards
        Sebastian

*) And there was precedence of unsavory behavior by some ISPs so this thing was
not coming out of the blue. But on the other hand the regulation has not
magically stopped al unsavory ISP behavior either. I happen to think that all
in all this is a decent piece of regulation not perfect, but plenty "good
enough" solving a real emerging problem in a way that seems just to all sides.

P.S.: The regulation also contains a section about transparency (essentially
ISPs are free what rates to offer, but once they offer a rate they are
responsible to actually deliver on their offer, doing away with a lot of the
"up to X" shenanigans some ISPs had been up to before) that initially caused
ISP backlash when it was introduced in German law, but since then things have
been pretty quiet, ISP simply got better at making sure they deliver or
alternatively allow under-served customers to cancel contracts without penalty.
A lot of bruhaha about nothing....

P.P.S.: The last case where the 2015/2120 was used was to prohibit mobile
operators from using zero-rating, that is not accounting some traffic against
the mobile data caps. But I am sure I am not doing justice to the subtlety of
that case with a single sentence ;)

P.P.P.S.: The same EU having made a rather reasonable piece of regulation can
at the same time come up with hare-brained ideas about having content providers
pay for the network build-out in the EU. While I have sympathy for taxing big
technology companies more similar to other companies and individuals in the
individual countries they generate revenue**, I do not think that forcing "big
tech" to fill the coffers of "old telco" is an endeavor anybody but "big telco"
shareholders should fathom acceptable.

**) Without strong evidence, I believe this is currently not the case