<https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/net-neutrality-review>
    > a net neutrality "clarification". The first topic in the consultation is
    > whether ISPs should be allowed to offer "premium quality retail plans". It
    > doesn't specify the technical implementation, but there would be different
    > plans for "users who mainly stream" vs "people who use high quality
    > virtual reality applications". Apparently ISPs feel the existing NN rules
    > are not clear on whether this is allowed.

    > The question I'm thinking about is do we want an Internet where end user
    > plans are divided up this way? And if not, is a NN regulation the right
    > place to put those rules?

Network Neutrality means that all senders are treated the same by the *ISP*
The ISP doesn't get to decide to prefer some peers over others.

It doesn't mean that the customer can't be given controls to determine what
traffic they want, and what priority they want to give it.

I think those two categories are totally bonkers.  I would never want to
subscribe to either service plan, because clearly the ISP thinks they can
just offload bufferbloat.   We've had protocols to classify traffic for
decades, but ISPs couldn't be bothered to figure out how to sell that.

    > 2. To the point in the PS of the below email, I would agree things are
    > mostly working in the EU, and in the US. But things
    > <https://twitter.com/j0xaf/status/850081406277619712> are

What's twitter?

    > Are NN rules the right place to address this and make sure it doesn't
    > happen in the US? Or is one bad actor across the EU and US the cost of
    > doing business and the Internet ecosystem and "market" are *mostly*
solving
    > the issue?

The EU bureaucrats are mostly lost in some fantasy land.
I don't think it will end well.

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [