== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Sun, Jan 15 2006 2:49 am
From: lucky verma

            This mail has been redirected to BM Discussion Group.

  From: Arvind Kale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tree planting not always green.Forests suck water & soil. Pl. react to
this.

  Dear  Knowledgable & Expert Friends,

  Pl. react to this News / Research item that Forests can be harmful to the
Nature. Tree planting is not always green ,and that " Forests can suck up water
and change the soil.............. "

  (Arvind Kale)
  NAGPUR (India)

  News
            Published online: 22 December 2005; | doi:10.1038/news051219-14
Tree planting not always greenForests can suck up water and change the soil.
Michael Hopkin

      These pine plantations in South Africa were shown to dry up local streams.
© SciencePlanting forests to soak up carbon dioxide from the atmosphere can
have a range of side effects, including drying up streams and making soil
saltier, according to a global study. The discovery highlights the tradeoffs
involved in tree-planting projects, say researchers.

Because plants use carbon dioxide to grow, planting forests of large,
fast-growing trees is one way to remove the gas from the atmosphere, thus
staving off global warming. But such forests need a lot of water, say Robert
Jackson, of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, and his colleagues.

The team surveyed more than 500 places where new forests have been planted over
the past half-century. In 13% of cases, streams dried up completely for at
least a year. On average, plantations cut local stream flow by more than 50%.

"It doesn't matter where you are in the world, when you grow trees on
croplands, you use more water," Jackson says. The effect can reduce the water
available for drinking and irrigation, and harm local aquatic ecosystems.

And forest soils are saltier and more acidic, compared with other types of
plant cover such as crops or grasslands, the researchers found. They publish
their results in this week's issue of Science1.

Carbon trading

These changes occur partly because tree-planting projects choose fast-growing
species that suck up more carbon dioxide, Jackson explains. Often these are
evergreen trees that grow all year round, meaning that they take up a lot of
carbon dioxide and water.

Some changes to water flow may be desirable, the team points out. For example,
forest plantations in the US agricultural belt have reduced nutrient runoff
from farmlands into the sea, which can cause algal blooms that kill marine
life.

The key is to consider local factors when implementing afforestation projects,
the researchers argue. "Policy-makers often have a set of 'carbon blinders' on
- they're thinking and talking only about carbon," Jackson says.

Some nations and companies are currently planting forests as a way of earning
'carbon credits' in international carbon markets. These allow greenhouse-gas
emitters such as power companies to balance their emissions by buying carbon
savings elsewhere.

The Clean Development Mechanism, the United Nations framework that approves and
validates such efforts for projects under the Kyoto Protocol, has also approved
the method of reforesting degraded land to suck up carbon. No forest-planting
project has so far been registered by this mechanism, but Jackson says
afforestation projects could be accredited soon. He only hopes that all the
costs - including the effect on water - are being taken into account, he says.

  The begining of the Civilization depended on AGRICULTURE - so does it's
FUTURE.

  dear friends,

  Every chemical reaction has some ignition temperature.
  Accordingly may be it be in the initial state of forest growing that it
consumes water, may be afterwards forests may reduce global warming and invite
more rain and help in water conservation.

  I m no expert so this is just an assumption.Afterall the earth has survived
with denser forests than that of today.

  Good luck,

  kanika

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Sun, Jan 15 2006 11:28 pm
From: boywonder amit

dear friends,
                 anything done in excess and in haphazard way would cause
probs. so planting trees in haphazard might be dangerous as sent in the
attachment. but imagine earth with trees or no afforestation done hence
forth, either way global warming is showing its effect, ozone has already
ruptured in a part of earth(northern or southern hemisphere not sure) and if
its in the southern hemisphere and if antartica starts melting then a point
might come when whole earth would be under water. and also trees are also
important near vegetative lands as it prevents soil erosion. imagine the
high temp. wothout trees life would be impossible. so plant trees but in
right way. but i have a suggestion over increasing the number of trees....
plant it in ur locality, in this trees will also be planted and would make
it look better

regards
amit hargude

On 1/15/06, lucky verma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> has also approved the method of reforesting degraded land to suck up carbon.
> No forest-planting project has so far been registered by this mechanism, but
> Jackson says afforestation projects could be accredited soon. He only hopes
> that all the costs - including the effect on water - are being taken into
> account, he says.
>

> *The begining of the Civilization depended on AGRICULTURE - so does it's
> FUTURE. *
>
> dear friends,
>
> Every chemical reaction has some ignition temperature.
> Accordingly may be it be in the initial state of forest growing that it
> consumes water, may be afterwards forests may reduce global warming and
> invite more rain and help in water conservation.
>
> I m no expert so this is just an assumption.Afterall the earth has
> survived with denser forests than that of today.

TOPIC: CAN ANY ONE CONTRIBUTE MORE TO A CAUSE BY REMAINING CELIBATE
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/b68b2bd0fa8d5263

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Sun, Jan 15 2006 11:29 am
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Friends,

I agree with the points raised by Kanika. We should not create an
atmosphere where celibacy is made superior.

I sincerely believe that celibacy is a very challenging thing, it has
its importance and gives more time to an individual to do service.

ON the other hand, I believe that marriage leads to balance in life So
I believe that celibacy/non-celibacy should be a personal choice, and
so celibacy need not have to be promoted in BM.

Regards,
Kiran

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, Jan 16 2006 11:58 am
From: Ranjan Singh

 Hi,

I don't think BM is promoting celibacy. At least I haven't felt so. So your
fears are far fetched.
I am not in favor of taking any vow following footsteps of others and I
consider it immoral to influence others to take a vow.
However, celibacy could be a conscious decision, an experiment, for those
who are willing.
We have very wrong notions of morality. There are one thousand and one ways
to declare that a person is morally corrupt. Let us redefine morality beyond
one's sexual behavior.
If a celibate relinquish his decision of celibacy, I don't think one is
morally corrupt unless he/she embraces hypocrisy.

With Regards,
Ranjan

TOPIC: rights of chapters
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/ca0447823c508749

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Sun, Jan 15 2006 5:07 pm
From: "kanika"

Like the central and state governments divide certain fields between
them for administration e.g agriculture,education etc r managed at
state level and defence,foreign relation, co-ordination in states etc r
managed at central level.
Should we 've some thing like this in our central management and local
chapters ?
I believe that 'll lead to better ,faster and smarter working of BM.etc
r managed at central level .

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Sun, Jan 15 2006 9:37 pm
From: "amit hargude"

vande mataram,
                       first of all dont compare ourselves with any
govt. as the govt. comprises larger number of people and have
responsibility of crores of people( though they r irresponsible). first
of all let our group be a force of atleast 10,000 active members, then
an organisational structure will be required. as far present day goes
we are hardly 1000+ with 1/10th number of active members. and also the
central team is not yet required as wat ''we do in mumbai would not
hold water in chennai'', so for the time being we have to concentrate
on our local chapter and not think about it. the central team and local
team donot need these kinda division as we r very few in number with
respect to active members. so the moral of the story is.. first we
should get active members and also continue with our ground work.

regards
amit hargude