Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 18, Issue #7
November 15, 2013

{==============================}
{=======TABLE OF CONTENTS======}
{==============================}

INTRODUCTION

LATEST NEWS:
+ BURNING MAN PASSES 2013 BLM SITE INSPECTION!!
+ BURNING MAN LAUNCHES 10 PRINCIPLES BLOG SERIES, PHILOSOPHICAL CENTER
+ BLACK ROCK CITY LLC & PERSHING COUNTY SETTLE LAWSUIT
+ HOMOUROBOROS (THE MONKEYS) ARE AT THE EXPLORATORIUM!

ROUND-UP OF BURNING MAN WRITINGS:
+ CONFESSIONS OF A MIDDLE-AGED, INDIAN VIRGIN BURNER
+ RELIGION AT BURNING MAN

PHOTOS, VIDEO & AUDIO:
+ BALLOON CHAIN PROJECT SHORT DOCUMENTARY (ALSO, DO YOU KNOW THIS COUPLE?)
+ PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNAL OF A FORMER SOUTHERN BAPTIST PREACHER
+ SPREADING THE IDEAS BEHIND LIKE 4 REAL TO THE DEFAULT WORLD
+ VIDEO OF THE MERKABA PROJECT AT BURNINGMAN 2013 BY MICHAEL EMERY AND CREW

PARTICIPATE:
+ PLEASE SUPPORT BURNERS WITHOUT BORDERS' HAIYAN RELIEF EFFORT
+ APOGAEA HAS $50,000 TO HELP FUND YOUR ART!

SUPPORT A PROJECT:
+ HELP BLACK ROCK SOLAR WIN $20,000!
+ SUPPORT AURORA IN PALO ALTO

EVENTS AND HAPPENINGS:
+ PEIKWEN CHENG EXHIBITS BURNING MAN PHOTOS AT PARIS PHOTO 2013
+ ARTUMNAL GATHERING: METAMORPHOSIS, A BENEFIT FOR BRAF - SAN FRANCISCO - NOV 23
+ BURNING MAN FILMFEST - MUNCHEN, GERMANY - NOV 24

CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN:
Burning Man on your favorite social networks

ADMINISTERRATA:

{==============================}
{========INTRODUCTION==========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

Wow, we've got some big news to serve up in this JRS ... things just started
cranking, converging and concluding all at once this week, and BAM -- there ya
go. Big news week. It happens.

First off, we've launched our new 10 Principles blog series, cornerstone to the
Burning Man Project's Philosophical Center program. We've been working on this
for a while now, and we're excited that it's finally ready to go ... and YOU
are invited to participate in this ongoing exploration of the dynamics of the
10 Principles in Black Rock City and year-round! Check it out:
http://blog.burningman.com/10principles

Second, we passed our BLM site inspection on Wednesday! Sa-weet! That means we
get to host Burning Man on the Black Rock Desert again next year. (For you
first-timers, if we FAIL to leave no trace, then our site permit doesn't get
approved for the next year ... and that? Would be bad. This shiznit's for real,
folks.)

Finally (and not really finally, because there's always more), we reached a
settlement in our lawsuit with Pershing County, and we're pretty happy about
that, the outcome, and the fact that we can put it behind us and focus on
planning for next year's shindig.

Details on all the above, below.

The Man burns in 288 days!

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{==========LATEST NEWS=========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BURNING MAN PASSES 2013 BLM SITE INSPECTION!!

And guess what that means? Well first off, it means YOU ROCK, since you kicked
some serious booty in the Leave No Trace department this year, folks. Secondly,
it means we can once again return to the Black Rock Desert to make the magic
that is Black Rock City. So we'll see you there in 2014, right? Right.

Big thanks (again) to YOU for your LNT efforts, and to the Playa Restoration
Crew (aka "Resto") for sticking around long after we all left, working hard to
keep the playa beautiful.

Want to see how it was done? Check out the MOOP Map reports on the Burning Blog:

http://blog.burningman.com/tag/moop-map-live-2013/

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BURNING MAN LAUNCHES 10 PRINCIPLES BLOG SERIES, PHILOSOPHICAL CENTER

Representing the cornerstone of Burning Man Project's Philosophical Center, we
are proud to present the 10 Principles blog series, an ongoing exploration of
the values that have grown out of the Burning Man community.

http://blog.burningman.com/10principles

This series will include a wide variety of posts delving into the philosophical
underpinnings of the 10 Principles, how they manifest in the real world
(including the challenges they face when the rubber hits the road), and how
they challenge and inform one another when they conflict.

You can expect written word, audio, video, photography and -- with your
participation -- spirited dialog!

We'll highlight certain posts periodically in the JRS, and we encourage you to
join the conversation with your thoughtful insights about the 10 Principles,
your experience of them, and their role in your life. Please join us!

For more information about the Philosophical Center, visit:

http://www.burningmanproject.org/programs#philosophical

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BLACK ROCK CITY LLC & PERSHING COUNTY SETTLE LAWSUIT

Black Rock City, LLC and Pershing County have reached a settlement of all
issues of the lawsuit brought by BRC last year. Associated court documents were
filed in U.S. District Court in Reno, Nevada last week. Full details here:

http://bit.ly/1j2SECF

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

HOMOUROBOROS (THE MONKEYS) ARE AT THE EXPLORATORIUM!

Cool! And also awwwww! Melissa Alexander (aka Foam) over at the Exploratorium
sent us this nice note:

"Dear Rabbits,

I just want to let you know that Homouroboros, By Peter Hudson — originally
commissioned by Burning Man for 2007 with a playa encore at this year's event —
has come to San Francisco's Exploratorium where it is available from 10am to
10pm every day, until at least the end of November and perhaps longer. The
monkeys are in our free public plaza area.

On behalf of the Exploratorium (where my day job is) I cannot begin to express
how excited we are about this.

Since this installation is co-presented by the Exploratorium and the Black Rock
Arts Foundation, I'd also like to just let you know how grateful we are to BRAF
for supporting this (and by extension to all of the lovely BRAF supporters out
there in the community) for giving us this opportunity.

Warmest Regards,

Melissa Alexander
Director of Public Programs
Exploratorium"

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=====BURNING MAN WRITINGS=====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

CONFESSIONS OF A MIDDLE-AGED, INDIAN VIRGIN BURNER

Very nice piece here, sent to us by Sanjay Sabnanis, describing his first year
at Burning Man (note: you don't have to login or register for Quora to read his
piece):

http://www.quora.com/Burning-Man-2013/What-were-Sanjay-Sabnanis-impressions-of-Burning-Man

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

RELIGION AT BURNING MAN

Is Burning Man a religious experience? Reverend Dr. Malcolm Clemens Young
thinks so. Here's his (really good) article about it in the Huffington Post:

http://huff.to/1fFin4j

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{====PHOTOS, VIDEOS & AUDIO====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BALLOON CHAIN PROJECT SHORT DOCUMENTARY (ALSO, DO YOU KNOW THIS COUPLE?)

"This year at the burn I created a short film about the Balloon Chain project.
The film came out great, but that's not why I am posting.  See, we did balloons
for a wedding and I shot some really terrific footage of the celebration that I
included in the film. The couple looks so happy and I would love to get them to
see it. Problem is, I have no idea who they are! I gave my information to the
still photographer, but never heard anything.

Here is a link to the video: http://vimeo.com/76786641

At about the three minute mark is where the wedding scene is. I think they were
there with an art car, the Land Yacht. You know the one I am talking about,
huge ocean liner on wheels that's all neon at night? Killer car. Anyway, that's
all I know about who they may have been with. I could be wrong.

Any ideas or leads would be great. jared.brian.mor...@gmail.com I would love to
share the footage with them. Thanks everyone!

- Jared"

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNAL OF A FORMER SOUTHERN BAPTIST PREACHER

Andrew writes:

"Out of my joy and gratitude for all that made Burning Man 2013 magical, I
wanted to share the beauty of my journey by way of this album of photos at this
link:

http://www.sparkleclaus.com/burningman2013 [Editor's Note: a wee bit NSFW]"

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

SPREADING THE IDEAS BEHIND LIKE 4 REAL TO THE DEFAULT WORLD

On the 6th of November artist Dadara gave a talk in the Royal Concert Hall at
TEDx Amsterdam about the ideas behind his Like 4 Real installation at Burning
Man. He ended with a Like meditation guided by the Burning Like for all 1200
people in the room in order to make them connect 4 Real.

The video is now online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SpKyGMqkg

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

VIDEO OF THE MERKABA PROJECT AT BURNINGMAN 2013 BY MICHAEL EMERY AND CREW

Michael writes:

"The MerKaBa Project is a video and sculptural installation designed for and
debuted on the playa at BurningMan 2013. The sculptural centerpiece is a
hexagonal 9' tall onion dome fabricated from 12 gauge steel. The dome has been
plasma cut with a complex fractal pattern. Within the dome a 7" tall hexagonal
mirrored obelisk turns. The dome contains an amplifier playing a looping
soundtrack. The dome is also fitted with 12 infrared sensors which when
activated trigger over 200 small sound files which play on top of the sound
track. At night 6 LCD projectors project an hour long hallucinatory dreamscape
video montage. On the playa, the video and sound montages looped and played for
the duration of each night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDTf04XkyjM "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=========PARTICIPATE==========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

PLEASE SUPPORT BURNERS WITHOUT BORDERS' HAIYAN RELIEF EFFORT

Want to help the Philippines? Burners Without Borders Executive Director Carmen
Mauk writes:

"BWB volunteers landed in the hardest hit area of the Philippines yesterday.
They are creating order from chaos by running the logistics for a hospital
command station and working to clear debris to welcome more volunteers. As you
can imagine it's messy, dangerous work, and they are getting a lot done with
very few resources.

In the wake of the largest typhoon in recorded history, you might ask what you
can do to help given the scale of this unprecedented mass devastation.

You can significantly impact the relief effort by supporting BWB's targeted
relief operations. In the next months it will be crucial for the right people
to be on the ground to manage the immense logistical challenges to ensure the
relief response doesn't cause unnecessary suffering for those survivors who
have already lost everything.

Seasoned BWB disaster relief volunteers will continue to  deploy within the
next week to bring their unique rapid response logistics skills to support the
relief effort. You can help.

Your support at this time is crucial and will enable us to make an impact now
as well as in the future as the rebuilding phase begins.

Please keep up with our progress at the BWB website and DONATE HERE to support
our relief efforts:

https://co.clickandpledge.com/advanced/default.aspx?wid=67347

Thank You!"

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

APOGAEA HAS $50,000 TO HELP FUND YOUR ART!

Grandpa writes:

"The 2014 Art Grant Cycle for Apogaea, Colorado's regional burn, is officially
open!  Apogaea will be awarding up to $50,000.00 in grants to fund all types of
powerful and unique art including sculptures, theme camps, sound camps,
performances, workshops, and mutant vehicles by awarding grants ranging from
$50 to over $5,000.  Get your ideas flowing and let us help make your project
happen!

Ludicrous Money Round deadline (grants greater than $3,000.00): November 30,
2013
Big Money Round deadline (grants less than $3,000.00): January 31, 2014
Seed Money Round deadline (grants less than $600.00): February 28, 2014
Cross-pollination Round (grants less than $600.00): March 31, 2014

New for 2014, the Cross-pollination Round is available for existing art that
just needs some help with their travel expenses.  This grant covers things like
vehicle rental, fuel, etc.

The most current information about Apogaea Art Grants including application
instructions, deadlines, and funding guidelines are on Apogaea’s website:

http://apogaea.com/art-camps-things/art-grants/ "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=======SUPPORT A PROJECT======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

HELP BLACK ROCK SOLAR WIN $20,000!

VOTE today and help Black Rock Solar (www.blackrocksolar.org) win $20,000
through the Sungevity Gives Back campaign. It’s a simple online vote. The
nonprofit with the most votes will win, so spread the word and let’s FREE THE
SUN for those that need it the most. Thank you for your awesome support!

http://www.sungevity.org/gives-back

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

SUPPORT AURORA IN PALO ALTO

Aurora is an interactive Burning Man LED sculpture by artist Charles Gadeken.
This brilliant work of art will live for one year in front of Palo Alto City
Hall, starting November 16, 2013, and they are raising money to make
improvements, customize, weatherize, and install Aurora, as well as develop a
mobile interface for visitors to interact with it. Help if you can!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aurora/aurora-palo-alto

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=====EVENTS & HAPPENINGS======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

PEIKWEN CHENG EXHIBITS BURNING MAN PHOTOS AT PARIS PHOTO 2013

Photographer Peikwen Cheng writes:

“I want to share some good news. Burning Man and its community has been a huge
source of inspiration. And now I’ll be exhibiting photos taken on the playa
from my series Lost and Found at Europe’s most important photography fair Paris
Photo. If you think the Burning Man community in Europe would appreciate
visiting, please feel free to share the details for the exhibition:

Paris Photo 2013
Vernissage: November 13
Exhibition: November 14-17
Location: Grand Palais, Avenue Winston Churchill, Paris – Galerie Magda Danysz,
Booth B03″

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

ARTUMNAL GATHERING: METAMORPHOSIS, A BENEFIT FOR BRAF - SAN FRANCISCO - NOV 23

Saturday, November 23, 2013
Dinner 6:00 p.m. (SOLD OUT!), Main Event 9:45 p.m.(TICKETS AVAILABLE!)

The Bently Reserve
400 Sansome St.
San Francisco, CA 94111

For the last twelve years, BRAF has enjoyed the privilege of working with
artists who are breaking the mold of public art, and who prioritize community
benefit and involvement in their work. We believe in their vision and are
honored to offer them our support.

BRAF is nearing a pivotal moment in our evolution. We recognize there are more
avenues of growth to be explored, more communities in need of art, and more
connections and collaborations to be nurtured.

Now is the perfect time to recognize our community’s extraordinary artists!
Join us in celebration of our past work and collaborators, and support BRAF’s
future initiatives!

BRAF’s seventh annual gala event includes epicurean delights, sophisticated
libations, tantalizing treats, wondrous pleasures, captivating featured and
roaming live performances, DJ’s, original artwork by BRAF's favorite artists,
dancing, raffle, gallery art sale, live and silent auction featuring exclusive
experiences and items, and abundant expressions of creativity!

This event sells out! Buy tickets now!

To buy tickets visit http://blackrockarts.org/events/artumnal-gathering-2013

Please feel free to contact us for more information
artum...@blackrockarts.org

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BURNING MAN FILMFEST - MUNCHEN, GERMANY - NOV 24

Stefan writes to tell us:

"Come out for a merry evening in the Substanz Club, starting 19:00. We'll be
watching 'Beyond Black Rock' and 'Transformoney 2.0'.

https://www.facebook.com/events/459025167545173/ "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{===CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN===}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

The Burning Man Regional Network - connect with Burners in your hometown:
http://regionals.burningman.com

 Visit our own Lyceum and engage with published authors, bloggers and thinkers
in and around the Burning Man community as they observe and comment on our
culture and like-minded cultures around the world:
http://blog.burningman.com

The Official Burning Man Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/burningman

Official Burning Man Twitter Account - All Things Burning Man:
http://www.twitter.com/burningman

Black Rock City Twitter Account - All Things BRC:
http://www.twitter.com/blackrockcity

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{======JRS ADMINISTERRATA======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

POST REQUESTS
Want your post to be included in an upcoming Jackrabbit Speaks? Fill out this
form: http://bit.ly/jrspostrequest

MORE INFORMATION
For questions: questi...@burningman.com
JRS archive: http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity_yearround/jrs/

SUBSCRIBE & UNSUBSCRIBE
To subscribe, email: bman-announce-subscr...@burningman.com
To subscribe or unsubscribe on the web, visit
https://lists.burningman.com/mailman/listinfo/bman-announce

Soundtrack for this JRS: Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane