[uucdigest] Monday, March 13 2000 Volume 03 : Number 427 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe, | visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com | Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Complaints? Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must. | Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com | www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net" | Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards! | Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest: | http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm ����������������������������������������� In this BMW UUC Digest: [uuc] broken side mirror and alarm [uuc] Re: [uucdigest] caliper bolts Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds [uuc] Cargo net [uuc] Torque on the Line [uuc] Re: Book Report. BMW by Hartmut Lehbrink [uuc] Re: OBC light bulbs [uuc] Shop Recommendations Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds [uuc] Sebring corral [uuc] first pics of the PTG E46 M3 Re: [uuc] Torque on the Line ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:53:08 -0000 From: "David Kaplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] broken side mirror and alarm Hi fellow bimwad (ette)s, I was backing into my very narrow garage the other and the passenger side mirror broke off (the bottom 2 metal pins actually broke). I super glued them back on and put the mirror back on the car. Looks great, no evidence of damage, except that the motor does not work. The fuse is ok. Also, I lost my manual for my bmw alarm. Can anybody tell me how to program it so it does not make an audible beep? Thanks, Dave '99 M3 ca ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:41:58 EST From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: [uuc] Re: [uucdigest] caliper bolts a trick i used was to use a rubber mallet on the wrench. before i tried this trick, i was thinking the bolts had rusted in place because i couldnt get them to budge. three good whacks with the mallet and it did the trick. i put a little antiseize on the threads when i put them back on to prevent them from freezing up again. tommy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:38:34 -0500 From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds Was it freezing? For at least 15 years now, BMWs have had a "freeze alert" feature that lets you know when the outside temp is below freezing. It's supposed to warn you about ice patches on the road. Quite possibly the speed warning was set and you hit the specified speed. Or as a final option, you are being targeted by a submarine. Watch for torpedos. - - Rob - ----- Original Message ----- From: Celisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Bell Sounds > This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in my > car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I might > have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off. But > yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this is not > the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This is a > 99 328is. Thanks for all responses. > Best Regards, > Celisa ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:05:42 -0500 From: "John Marshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds Celisa - it could be the 'hour bell', I've forgotten what it's actually called though. On my car when it's set, it goes off 3mins or so before every hour. Owners manual will show how to turn off. John - ----- Original Message ----- From: Celisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: BMW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 2:26 AM Subject: [uuc] Bell Sounds > This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in my > car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I might > have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off. But > yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this is not > the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This is a > 99 328is. Thanks for all responses. > > > > > Best Regards, > Celisa > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:10:41 -0500 From: "John Marshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Cargo net Where can I buy a cargo net for my e36 325? John (tired of loose items slinging around the trunk) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:20:03 -0500 From: "Duane Collie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Torque on the Line >From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >Subject: Re: [uuc] The Trick on brakes > >I fully expect the assembly guys to use a torque wrench on brake >attachments. In fact, these days, they should use wrenches that are air >powered and compare torque and turns to check the joint better than a mere >torque wrench can. The tools should be checked for torque at least once per >shift. Gary, Good concept in theory! But, if you go watch a vehicle assembly line in action, things happen at such a high speed, this is impractical. They use air and power tools exclusively on a line, and you can't calibrate an air tool....at least none I've ever seen. Yes, there are adjustable settings on air tools, but they are very general in nature and cover a wide spectrum. For accuracy, you either have to use a hand-held torque wrench or "torque sticks" if you want to get close. You can take a couple of brand new air impact guns, same model, and set them both on the mid-line reading values and you'll get entirely different torque values out of them. Unless they are using something really jazzy on the lines, there air tools are not calibrated. Heck, I've had a number of brand new cars, trucks and motorcycles that have come from the factory with cross-threaded screws in them. They don't even start some of these fasteners by hand. They get installed so quickly, the line worker doesn't even know he crossed-threaded them. The guy on the line runs 'em in until they stop and unless the final inspection catches it...that's the way it goes out the door. I love to go up to the Harley -Davidson Factory Tour in York, PA and watch them put together the big bikes on the line. It's an art form in and of itself in that an entire big bike like a Road King Classic goes from bare frame to completion with engine running in something like 18 minutes. And that includes looping and hooking up the wiring harness! The line goes at a walk speed and when you start the loop around the main line, you begin with a bare frame - as you walk the U-shape of the line, it comes out a completed machine on the test dyno on the other end. Amazing! I can remove a 81 ft. lb. fastener with a standard 1/2" Rachet, even an open end wrench. To get those pesky caliper brackets screws off, it takes a 18" breaker bar or an air impact gun. I use a Snap-On 6100 that I have to dial up to the second from highest setting to back those off on a brand new M3, so I'm guessing they're installed at about 150 Ft. Lb. or so. So much for torque values on the BMW assembly line. - - Duane Collie The Sled ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:23:02 -0600 (CST) From: Alan Riley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Re: Book Report. BMW by Hartmut Lehbrink Neil Deshpande ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote > I bought the book for $35 at Half Price books and have since seen it > similarly discounted at B. Dalton, etc. Call these guys and you'll > probably find it. > > The book mainly has some excellent photos of pretty much every kind of > BMW up to the E39 M5. The X5 is in there too. For that price I > recommend it. It is a coffee table book with text in three languages > that is accurate and too the point without too much tech. detail. It is also available for order online from the bimmer.org store: https://www.bimmer.org/store/commerce.cgi or I believe Amazon/Barnes and Noble can get it as well. - --Alan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:27:57 -0600 From: Robert Ledesma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Re: OBC light bulbs [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: >Both of the bulbs in my OBC have gone out. The one that illuminates the >buttons has been out for some time, and the one that illuminates the display >just went out the other day. This seems like something I can maybe fix on my >own. Does anyone here have any tips they'd like to share on how to perform >this operation? I believe the BMW Enthusiast's Companion has an article on how to do this by using a couple of bulbs from Radio Shack; total cost about $3 if I remember. I did this on my e28 with good results, all you need is a little patience and a soldering iron. Email me privately if you want me to look up/scan the article. Robert Ledesma '88 535is '76 280Z ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:32:35 -0500 From: "Michael Ellman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Shop Recommendations Having just moved to Southern Vermont from the New York City area, I am in need of your collective assistance in finding a good shop in this area to do a few minor mods as well as my more regular maintenance. You can email me privately at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or post. Thanks in advance, Mike Ellman 96 328i ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:05:56 -0500 (EST) From: Moe Drippins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds John Marshall writes: > Celisa - it could be the 'hour bell', I've forgotten what it's actually > called though. On my car when it's set, it goes off 3mins or so before > every hour. Owners manual will show how to turn off. This seems to vary by car; on mine it's about 15 seconds before the hour. - -- Just Moe '95 540 6 speed, BL/SS BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:07:16 -0500 (EST) From: Moe Drippins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks writes: > Was it freezing? For at least 15 years now, BMWs have had a "freeze alert" > feature that lets you know when the outside temp is below freezing. It's > supposed to warn you about ice patches on the road. > > Quite possibly the speed warning was set and you hit the specified speed. > > Or as a final option, you are being targeted by a submarine. Watch for > torpedos. > Things that make mine beep are: speed alert top of the hour (actually 15 seconds before) really cold out (on mine, at 37 degrees F) - -- Just Moe '95 540 6 speed, BL/SS BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:41:09 -0500 From: "Adam Fila" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds It's actually set to go off at +3 degrees Celsius. Incidentally, this happened to be the temperature in NW New Jersey yesterday, and as I drove up and down the NJ highlands valleys and the temp kept going from 3 to 3.5 degrees and back, the thing was going off about every 5 minutes ! Very annoying ! Is there a way to disable this feature ? On the subject of bell sounds, my tape deck every once in a while starts making one saying I need to clean it. Even after 2 years of owning the car, I still almost get a heart attack every time it goes off. I barely ever use the damn thing, much less have any need to clean it ! I would love to be able to turn this warning off. - -Adam Fila '95 M3 - ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 8:38 AM Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds > Was it freezing? For at least 15 years now, BMWs have had a "freeze alert" > feature that lets you know when the outside temp is below freezing. It's > supposed to warn you about ice patches on the road. > > Quite possibly the speed warning was set and you hit the specified speed. > > Or as a final option, you are being targeted by a submarine. Watch for > torpedos. > > - Rob > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Celisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Subject: [uuc] Bell Sounds > > > > This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in my > > car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I might > > have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off. But > > yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this is > not > > the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This is a > > 99 328is. Thanks for all responses. > > Best Regards, > > Celisa > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:00:52 -0600 From: Robert Ledesma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Sebring corral I may be driving the old 5er down there, how many of you Bimwads are going to Sebring? And how many Bimmers are usually in the corral? I haven't been to the 12 Hours since about '91, I only remember seeing a "P"-corral. Robert Ledesma '88 535is(red, Missouri plates, CCA and Senna window stickers; say hey if you see us) BTW, congrats to Ralf Schumacher and "BMWilliams" for their podium finish with the car's first outing! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:01:31 -0500 From: "Adam Fila" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] first pics of the PTG E46 M3 Ok, you can't see much, but stay tuned! http://www.fastdetails.com/sebring2k/race/s2k1_23.jpg Also new look of the V12 LMR's at http://www.fastdetails.com/sebring2k/race/s2k1_17.jpg http://www.fastdetails.com/sebring2k/race/s2k1_16.jpg Check out other Tim Crete's great pics on his site at www.fastdetails.com He will post the new pics as soon as the car is out of the trailer. He also has pics of the new Audi, new Lola's and other cool cars from the first day at Sebring. - -Adam Fila '95 M3 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:25:30 -0500 From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Torque on the Line Not theory, reality. I've spent a lot of time in assembly plants. There are torque clutches on even mundane items like rear view mirror screws. They design this stuff so the most dis-interested operator can't screw it up. For any safety related item, the checks are more rigorous. Toyota ran an ad highlighting their special $25,000 torque wrench that torques the tie rod end and aligned the castle with the cotter pin hole. A moron, on his first day, using this tool, would perfectly torque and position the nut every time. Gary Derian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > >From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > >Subject: Re: [uuc] The Trick on brakes > > > >I fully expect the assembly guys to use a torque wrench on brake > >attachments. In fact, these days, they should use wrenches that are air > >powered and compare torque and turns to check the joint better than a mere > >torque wrench can. The tools should be checked for torque at least once > per > >shift. > > Gary, > > Good concept in theory! But, if you go watch a vehicle assembly line in > action, things happen at such a high speed, this is impractical. They use > air and power tools exclusively on a line, and you can't calibrate an air > tool....at least none I've ever seen. Yes, there are adjustable settings on > air tools, but they are very general in nature and cover a wide spectrum. > For accuracy, you either have to use a hand-held torque wrench or "torque > sticks" if you want to get close. You can take a couple of brand new air > impact guns, same model, and set them both on the mid-line reading values > and you'll get entirely different torque values out of them. Unless they > are using something really jazzy on the lines, there air tools are not > calibrated. > > Heck, I've had a number of brand new cars, trucks and motorcycles that have > come from the factory with cross-threaded screws in them. They don't even > start some of these fasteners by hand. They get installed so quickly, the > line worker doesn't even know he crossed-threaded them. The guy on the line > runs 'em in until they stop and unless the final inspection catches > it...that's the way it goes out the door. > > I love to go up to the Harley -Davidson Factory Tour in York, PA and watch > them put together the big bikes on the line. It's an art form in and of > itself in that an entire big bike like a Road King Classic goes from bare > frame to completion with engine running in something like 18 minutes. And > that includes looping and hooking up the wiring harness! The line goes at a > walk speed and when you start the loop around the main line, you begin with > a bare frame - as you walk the U-shape of the line, it comes out a completed > machine on the test dyno on the other end. Amazing! > > I can remove a 81 ft. lb. fastener with a standard 1/2" Rachet, even an open > end wrench. To get those pesky caliper brackets screws off, it takes a 18" > breaker bar or an air impact gun. I use a Snap-On 6100 that I have to dial > up to the second from highest setting to back those off on a brand new M3, > so I'm guessing they're installed at about 150 Ft. Lb. or so. So much for > torque values on the BMW assembly line. > > - Duane Collie > The Sled > > ------------------------------ End of [uucdigest] V3 #427 ************************** _________________________________________ | Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers: | (listed alphabetically) | Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com | Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Curry's Auto Service . http://www.currysauto.com | Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com | Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com | Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer! | The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com | UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com | Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com ����������������������������������������
