[uucdigest]           Monday, March 13 2000           Volume 03 : Number 428



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] RE: [uucdigest] V3 #426
       RE: [uuc] Bell Sounds
       [uuc] ML55, Hah!!!
       [uuc] GPS systems not in color?
       Re: [uuc] CD Changer
       [uuc] '95 E36 M3 Automatic FS
       Re: [uuc] GPS systems not in color?
       [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds
       Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds
       Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds
       Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds
       Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds
       Re: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:38:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Geoffrey Patterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] RE: [uucdigest] V3 #426

Celisa,

What was the temperature?  I get a notice if the temp dips below 37 degrees
to warn of potential for ice on bridges, etc.

Cheers

Geoff Patterson
98 529i
92 325ic
=================
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 01:26:03 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Bell Sounds

This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in my
car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I might
have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off. But
yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this is not
the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This is a
99 328is. Thanks for all responses.




Best Regards,
Celisa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:33:13 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Bell Sounds

Celisa is hearing bells..

>This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in my
>car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I might
>have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off. But
>yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this is not
>the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This is a
>99 328is. Thanks for all responses.
>
>Best Regards,
>    Celisa

Celisa - you are experiencing the Bavarian Mind-Bell-Effect (BMW-MBE)..
there is NO cure. Give me your car!

Actually - this is the 2 minute warning bell.. for some odd reason
it appears that bavarians need to be reminded that it's going to be
some hour 2 minutes before - ie, at 2:58 a chime will ring to tell
you that in 2 minutes it's going to be 3:00..

This is a feature - not a bug - of the OBC. Luckily - it CAN be
turned off - look for a button with a sorta sound looking symbol
on it (a dot with increasing size ellipses next to it) - and press
this. It should turn off an illuminated symbol on the OBC, and
your bong will go away.

BTDT - :-)


...................................................................
Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa
...................................................................

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:25:31 -0500
From: "Eric Augustyn (Derivatives)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] ML55, Hah!!!

Anyone seen the recent issue of Autoweek about the X5 from the Geneva
Autoshow?? The boys dropped in the LMR V12 (yes that's the LeMans engine) tuned
it to 700hp, threw on some low profile tires, dropped the suspension 1.2" just
to let everyone know the extreme case.    I think top speed was 173mph with
0-60 comparable to the M5 (4.7secs).

Eric

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:36:06 -0600
From: Michael Weishaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] GPS systems not in color?

A coworker of mine is looking to get a new bimmer, and since he is a
techno-geek, he has to have the GPS system in it.  However, he told me
this morning that they are currently only in B&W in BMWs.  Is this
true?  I can't imagine with all the technology that today's bimmers have
that they wouldn't be in color.

Anyone have first-hand experience?

Michael
88 M3 <-- where GPS = Gorgeous, Pleasing Sound   :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:52:29 -0500 (EST)
From: "Barry J. Bocaner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] CD Changer

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Celisa wrote:
> I'm thinking I might have found the right guy to install my CD Changer. I
> will go and check it out, this guy friend of mine checked him out, and said
> he was great. He even told my male friend that there had to be a correct
> adapter. He also asked if I had a navigator in my car. I don't think so, but
> I not sure, I suppose I need to check out my owners manuel. I will go early
> saturday morning and check on that. At least mentioning the adapter sounds
> he could be on track. He will install the Alpine for about 350 or so, and do

Celisa: careful... you have a late model E36, right?  You will need a
changer manufactured by Alpine, but an alpine-branded unit will not work,
there is no adaptor that will work as far as I know.  You will NEED to
have the BMW-branded unit with I-bus.  You should be able to find the unit
you need along with the install kit designed by BMW especially for your
car for under $400.  It can be installed by any layman or laywoman with
minimal knowledge and tools.  A "universal" changer could be installed
without an adaptor, but it will not use the controls on your headunit and
the sound quality will suffer because of the RF modulation usually
involved with this sort of thing.

- --=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Barry J. Bocaner   
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://web.bocaner.net
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:08:23 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] '95 E36 M3 Automatic FS

For Sale, '95 M3A, 45K, Cosmos Black, Dove Gray, rear spoiler, 6 Disc CD
changer, Alarm, Remote entry, Garaged, N/S, Southern Car, Immaculate, New
Brakes, Rotors, Maintained by 17 yr., BMW CCA member, $24,900. Email or call
865-694-3088. Knoxville, TN.

Evan
BMW CCA # 45756 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:12:07 -0500
From: "Bill Matthews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] GPS systems not in color?

00 E39 M5 w/BMW GPS, all route maps in color. If you are in turn by turn
guidance mode the arrows are monochromatic.

BMW uses the same route database as S-type Jag, Lincoln, Porsche PCM,
Land Rover, MB, & Volvo auto OEMs and original equip OEMs of
Visteon,Pioneer, Clarion & CARiN. www.navtech.com

As a negative I do not like the way BMW puts disc boundaries in mid
state. As a positive on a recent trip to (DC)VA I would have never found
my hotel at 8:30 on a rainy night in Crystal City without it. Although
it couldn't distinguish that I was in the express lanes and not the
local lanes on the highway-directed me to a next exit right when the
exits in the express lane were on the left. But I guess that's the price
we pay for losing that last 25 meters of target data.

Bill Matthews
Hockessin DE
00 MGeeze
3 Volvos

From: Michael Weishaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> A coworker of mine is looking to get a new bimmer, and since he is a
> techno-geek, he has to have the GPS system in it.  However, he told me
> this morning that they are currently only in B&W in BMWs.  Is this
> true?  I can't imagine with all the technology that today's bimmers
have
> that they wouldn't be in color.
>
> Anyone have first-hand experience?
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:27:30 -0500
From: "Neil Deshpande" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

In India CCDs are cleaned using water that is sprayed into the intake.  When I first 
saw this I was horrified and asked the mechanic for an explanation.  In his limited 
technical vocabulary he gave me a simple explanation: blown head gaskets that allow 
water (not much coolant in India in those days) to come in contact with the pistons 
result in clean combustion chambers being observed when the head is removed.

Recently in conversation with a Malaysian friend, I learnt that they do the same thing 
in Malaysia.  An ex-Cummins friend pointed out a similar procedure was used at Cummins 
to clean their diesel motors.

Anyone know anything about this?  Explanations?

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 iS
1989 325 iC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:31:51 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds

You know what? Thats exactly what it was. I'm sure of that now, so I'm
thinking. I had made some tapes, and was playing those, but no telling who
never cleaned the cassette deck before me. Thanks so much for all responses
possible.

Celisa

> It's actually set to go off at +3 degrees Celsius.  Incidentally, this
> happened to be the temperature in NW New Jersey yesterday, and as I drove
up
> and down the NJ highlands valleys and the temp kept going from 3 to 3.5
> degrees and back, the thing was going off about every 5 minutes !  Very
> annoying !  Is there a way to disable this feature ?
>
> On the subject of bell sounds, my tape deck every once in a while starts
> making one saying I need to clean it.  Even after 2 years of owning the
car,
> I still almost get a heart attack every time it goes off.  I barely ever
use
> the damn thing, much less have any need to clean it !  I would love to be
> able to turn this warning off.
>
> -Adam Fila
> '95 M3
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 8:38 AM
> Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds
>
>
> > Was it freezing?  For at least 15 years now, BMWs have had a "freeze
> alert"
> > feature that lets you know when the outside temp is below freezing.
It's
> > supposed to warn you about ice patches on the road.
> >
> > Quite possibly the speed warning was set and you hit the specified
speed.
> >
> > Or as a final option, you are being targeted by a submarine.  Watch for
> > torpedos.
> >
> > - Rob
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Celisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: [uuc] Bell Sounds
> >
> >
> > > This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in
> my
> > > car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I
might
> > > have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off.
> But
> > > yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this
is
> > not
> > > the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This
is
> a
> > > 99 328is. Thanks for all responses.
> > > Best Regards,
> > >     Celisa
> >
> >
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:39:58 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds

This really hadn't been happening. I was shocked when it went off. I've had
the car a month now, and this is the first time I have heard any bells.
However, I think they might be turned off now. Thanks for your response.

Celisa

> John Marshall writes:
>
> > Celisa - it could be the 'hour bell', I've forgotten what it's actually
> > called though.  On my car when it's set, it goes off 3mins or so before
> > every hour.  Owners manual will show how to turn off.
>
> This seems to vary by car; on mine it's about 15 seconds before the
> hour.
>
> --
> Just Moe
> '95 540 6 speed, BL/SS
> BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:41:29 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds

Well yes, I am aware of the tunes you stated that you heard, but I wasn't
sure if I had set something or not. It hasn't gotten cold enough for the
temp bell to sound, it was in the 60's this night. I think I had some alarm
on. Who knows..even tape deck may have need cleaning. Thanks so much for all
responses.

Celisa

> Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks writes:
>
> > Was it freezing?  For at least 15 years now, BMWs have had a "freeze
alert"
> > feature that lets you know when the outside temp is below freezing.
It's
> > supposed to warn you about ice patches on the road.
> >
> > Quite possibly the speed warning was set and you hit the specified
speed.
> >
> > Or as a final option, you are being targeted by a submarine.  Watch for
> > torpedos.
> >
>
> Things that make mine beep are:
>
> speed alert
> top of the hour (actually 15 seconds before)
> really cold out (on mine, at 37 degrees F)
>
> --
> Just Moe
> '95 540 6 speed, BL/SS
> BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:43:51 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds

I've never heard the speed beep. I know it wasnn't cold, it was 60 degrees.
It hasn't been really cold here since I moved to texas. It might have mean
either the alarm clock was on, or the tape deck needed cleaning, as I had
taped some music and was playing it at the time. Thanks for your response.

Celisa

> Was it freezing?  For at least 15 years now, BMWs have had a "freeze
alert"
> feature that lets you know when the outside temp is below freezing.  It's
> supposed to warn you about ice patches on the road.
>
> Quite possibly the speed warning was set and you hit the specified speed.
>
> Or as a final option, you are being targeted by a submarine.  Watch for
> torpedos.
>
> - Rob
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Celisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [uuc] Bell Sounds
>
>
> > This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in
my
> > car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I might
> > have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off.
But
> > yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this is
> not
> > the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This is
a
> > 99 328is. Thanks for all responses.
> > Best Regards,
> >     Celisa
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:51:15 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds

Thanks so much, I bet it was that hour bell. I believe it was, I  saw the
little horn, I turned it off now. However, it could have been the tape deck,
not very sure about that either. Today however, I didn't hear any sound.

Celisa

> Celisa - it could be the 'hour bell', I've forgotten what it's actually
> called though.  On my car when it's set, it goes off 3mins or so before
> every hour.  Owners manual will show how to turn off.
>
> John
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Celisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: BMW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 2:26 AM
> Subject: [uuc] Bell Sounds
>
>
> > This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in
> my
> > car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I
> might
> > have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off.
> But
> > yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this
> is not
> > the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This
> is a
> > 99 328is. Thanks for all responses.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >     Celisa
> >
> >
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:52:02 -0500
From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

Deep-cleaning via water, windshield washer fluid, or even ATF is common.  I
wrote up a procedure on the Digest a year or so ago.  It is a very effective
de-carbonization process that gets rid of carbon deposits which can cause
knoca nd ping or affect emissions.

With the motor running, you want to feed water in via a vaccum line that
goes directly into the intake.  You may have to manually hold the throttle
to keep the car from stalling.  Very quickly you will start to see some
water vapor come out the tailpip - immediately let the car stall out or shut
it off.

Wait about 5 minutes.

Start the car and be prepared for huge white clouds of vapor that will cover
the area like a smoke bomb.  Drive the car around a bit to get all the
moisture out.

Dat's it, you're done!

- - Rob Levinson



- ----- Original Message -----
From: Neil Deshpande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 1:27 PM
Subject: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning. Water?


> In India CCDs are cleaned using water that is sprayed into the intake.
When I first saw this I was horrified and asked the mechanic for an
explanation.  In his limited technical vocabulary he gave me a simple
explanation: blown head gaskets that allow water (not much coolant in India
in those days) to come in contact with the pistons result in clean
combustion chambers being observed when the head is removed.
>
> Recently in conversation with a Malaysian friend, I learnt that they do
the same thing in Malaysia.  An ex-Cummins friend pointed out a similar
procedure was used at Cummins to clean their diesel motors.
>
> Anyone know anything about this?  Explanations?
>
> Neil Deshpande
> 1988 325 iS
> 1989 325 iC
>
>

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #428
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to