[uucdigest]           Monday, March 13 2000           Volume 03 : Number 429



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds
       RE: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       [uuc] double clutching
       RE [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       [uuc] E34 Torque Values
       [uuc] Speeding ticket advice - Northern VA
       [uuc] Caliper Bolt Freezing.
       RE:[uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       [uuc] WTB 18" tire(s)
       [uuc] E30 sunroof parts FS
       [uuc] Re: Bell Sounds, another twist
       [uuc] re:  GPS...that last 25meters 
       [uuc] <M20B25> pinging
       [uuc] RE: Bell sounds
       Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds
       [uuc] <E30> diff q

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:55:26 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds

LOL Don, it is possible that I am hearing bells..now thats just too
cute.(wink) But, not to bugged out to give you the car lol..you are a
scream. Well, I haven't heard bells today. I'm thinking I had some alarm on,
checking everything out. But what does the CHECK thingy down where the temp
thingy and other things are located. I pressed it, and it said CHECK OK.
What does that mean. I guess I need to read more into my manuel. Thanks for
all responses.

Celisa

> Celisa is hearing bells..
>
> >This is the second day I have noticed that I've heard a bell go off in my
> >car. Its like a ping sound. I thought what is that. I'm thinking I might
> >have set a memo. I'm not sure, but I noticed today at 3PM it went off.
But
> >yesterday I thought that I might have heard it, but not sure. If this is
not
> >the case, as anyone heard a ping sound like a bell in there car? This is
a
> >99 328is. Thanks for all responses.
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >    Celisa
>
> Celisa - you are experiencing the Bavarian Mind-Bell-Effect (BMW-MBE)..
> there is NO cure. Give me your car!
>
> Actually - this is the 2 minute warning bell.. for some odd reason
> it appears that bavarians need to be reminded that it's going to be
> some hour 2 minutes before - ie, at 2:58 a chime will ring to tell
> you that in 2 minutes it's going to be 3:00..
>
> This is a feature - not a bug - of the OBC. Luckily - it CAN be
> turned off - look for a button with a sorta sound looking symbol
> on it (a dot with increasing size ellipses next to it) - and press
> this. It should turn off an illuminated symbol on the OBC, and
> your bong will go away.
>
> BTDT - :-)
>
>
> ...................................................................
> Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
> "You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
> "Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall "Sorry..."  --Magwa
> ...................................................................

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:54:04 -0500
From: "Money, Jack (J.J.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

Neil asks:

<<In India CCDs are cleaned using water that is sprayed into the intake.
Anyone know anything about this?  Explanations?>>

I can't explain it but consider this....when cooking where you have scorched
the food in the pan you can remove it easily by pouring water in the pan
when it's still very hot.  Why does this happen?  That I'm not sure about
but it does work.  What exactly are combustion chamber deposits....scorched
particles attached to the piston.  This is a rather simplistic analogy but I
think it's comparable.

Now, I'm still looking for some answers to my earlier questions.  Can
someone offer something please?  The message is copied here:

<<Well, I pulled the 1st 2 plugs (closest to the fan) to check'em
out...turns
out there's a bunch of oil sitting in the plug chamber (at the base of the
plugs)...the plugs themselves are definately done.  They're coated with a
whiteish powdery type substance, althought when I tried to wipe it off it
seems to be a rather hard particulate.  The electrodes also are warn quite a
bit.  Time for new plugs....it seems they've been in for 25k+.

The thing that concerns me most is the oil build up.  Could a leaking cam
seal cause this?  What about a valve cover gasket?  I changed my VC gasket
twice and cannot get it to seal properly.  I followed all the torque specs
in the Bentley, I cleaned the surfaces very well, and I inspected the gasket
for quality (visual only of course).  Anyone else have VC replacement
problems?  I have another one and will give it another try but I'd really
rather not do it again soon.

Does this motor have head gasket problems?  I have a leak which appears to
be oil seeping from the head/block interface.  It isn't pouring out by any
means but it is getting bigger.  I thought it might be the cam seal or the
VC but I'm not so sure.  I will be checking my cam seal this week as I
suspect it's leaking.  If it isn't maybe there'll be a clue.  Anyone have
any ideas?

I need some expertise here...Brett?  Anyone else?  Thanks for any help!>>

Thanks again for any help.

Regards,

Jack Money
Motor City Chapter
iX Registry
'89 iX ----> Sharked!  Still weeping
E30 M3 ----> Evolving
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or reply
http://skumwerks.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:18:04 -0500
From: "Binder, Larry - Paoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] double clutching

What is double-clutching?  When should it be used?

Larry
97 318i

Mech Designer/Draftsman
Synthes Spine

*************************************************************************
The opinions and statements expressed above are mine, and do not reflect
that of my employer.
*************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:24:13 -0800
From: "Chao, Harvey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

Short answer, Yes.

Operative input missing -  not TOO much water else you create problems.

There are "stories" of "old time" mechanics pouring water from a soda bottle
down the carburetor throat to accomplish this.  Alternately, sucking it into
the manifold via a vacuum tube on an unused vacuum port.  

The key is how much/at what rate ?????  TBD.

Harvey
 - I live with fear, death, and evil...but I used to be able to turn it off
and use a Mac. "  Author Unknown  
 - Dragged over to the "Dark Side" under duress  This day, Thursday, 9/16/99
- - A dark day indeed!
 - Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.
          -- Ferenc Mantfeld

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:40:06 -0600
From: "Robert B. Kasten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] E34 Torque Values

Could someone with a specs manual please email me the torque values for
the three bolts that attach the stabilizer bar bracket to the frame on
a '95 540i. (I don't want the values for the clamp, just the bracket.)

<rant> 
Of course this info isn't in the Bentley, which for the e34, and
particularly the M60 engined e34, is supremely lousy (especially
when compared to the e28 manual).
</rant>

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:51:43 -0500
From: "Timothy Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Speeding ticket advice - Northern VA

My wife got a ticket for 68 in a 45 on Rte 15 in Haymarket. More than 20 
over the limit is wreckless driving in Virginia. Court date is May 18th. She
was definately speeding and was caught on radar. No arguments there. It was
a Haymarket police officer and the hearing is in Prince William County court
in Manassas. What can she do to limit the damage? Does VA offer drivers's
training like other states? Is this something that she would be expected to
know and ask for?

Please reply privately as I've got four days worth of digests in my Inbox.

Tim T
94 540i

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:54:38 -0500
From: "Neil Deshpande" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Caliper Bolt Freezing.

Tommy:

Having lost a caliper mounting bolt on I-275 N (makes for an interesting story) I 
cannot stress enough the need not to put anti-sieze or some other 
this-makes-it-come-off-faster goop on the these things.

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 iS
1989 325 iC

***

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:41:58 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Subject: [uuc] Re: [uucdigest] caliper bolts

a trick i used was to use a rubber mallet on the wrench.   before i tried 
this trick, i was thinking the bolts had rusted in place because i couldnt 
get them to budge.
three good whacks with the mallet and it did the trick.   i put a little 
antiseize on the threads when i put them back on to prevent them from 
freezing up again.
tommy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:24:04 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE:[uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

Neil is agast (and I'll disagree with Rob on this one):

>In India CCDs are cleaned using water that is sprayed into the intake.
When I first saw this I was horrified and asked the mechanic for an
explanation.  In his limited technical vocabulary he gave me a simple
explanation: blown head gaskets that allow water (not much coolant in India
in those days) to come in contact with the pistons result in clean
combustion chambers being observed when the head is removed.
>
>Recently in conversation with a Malaysian friend, I learnt that they do
the same thing in Malaysia.  An ex-Cummins friend pointed out a similar
procedure was used at Cummins to clean their diesel motors.
>
>Anyone know anything about this?  Explanations?
>
>Neil Deshpande
>1988 325 iS
>1989 325 iC

Sure - and it works. Upside - easy to do. Downside - on a BMW engine
there is a chance of breaking something expensive.

On old low compression, dirty running, pushrod engines - this sorta
stuff was done. And *usually* gotten away with (not always..)

The leaky gasket thing is true - but long term exposure to the 
coolant (or water) will also lead to loosing any temper
the rings had (I've seen ones where you could bend them in a knot
after a long-term leak)..

The cooling effect of the water shocks the carbon deposits (and
the piston and the valves and lots of other things not made to come
in contact with water), loosening the carbon. That's the good part.

The bad part is most metals don't like this kind of sudden thermal
change - and may do bad things like fracture or soften. And for it to
have any real effect - you have to add enough moisture (water)
to change temperatures.. at the least - it's risky. Sorta like
pouring Marvel-Mystery-Oirl down the intake...

Your ex-Cummins friend may have done this - but bet he can't point
to a Cummins service manual telling you to do this.. As a matter
of fact - I bet no one can come up with a manual for a modern engine
which recommends this technique for de-carboning.

If it was my car - I wouldn't even think of doing it. If you're
gonna do it to your car - can I come watch?? :-) (I'll stand some
distance away if you don't mind..)

And - if the engine is that carboned up (enough that Techron won't
clean it) - there IS a reason and it should be opened up to find
out what it is..

Best,


...................................................................
Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa
...................................................................

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:29:29 -0800
From: Jim Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] WTB 18" tire(s)

I'm looking for some new or near new 245/18 tires.  If anyone has a
loose tire from a spare etc, or a good pair of takeoffs let me know.

Jim

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:32:02 -0800
From: "BILL MITCHELL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] E30 sunroof parts FS

I have the motor, linkage and cables for a 325 for sale.  I bought this
thinking I needed the motor, but it turned out my problem was with the
relay, so I'll take what I have in it:  $65.00.  I'll consider paying
shipping depending on where it has to go.

Bill Mitchell
'90 325is
'95 540i/6
'97 740iL

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:42:07 -0800
From: Erick Baumeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: Bell Sounds, another twist

Hey Rob, remember this one?
After a long trip, unbuckling the seatbelt and getting out of the car
causes a repetitive boinging....had to disconnect the connection under
the seat to get it to stop....

Erick Baumeister

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:46:28 -0800
From: Polands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] re:  GPS...that last 25meters 

Speaking of that last 25 meters, assuming you are talking about the
government paranoia induced selective accuracy downgrade, there is a way
to improve this to about 10 meters, via the Differential Beacon system. 
This is a land based FM signal that goes to a special receiver, then to
the GPS unit.  Question is whether the BMW system can accept this input,
and if so, from who's receiver?

If anyone is interested, I have a Garmin GPSIII portable for boat use,
and have Garmin's Differential Beacon Receiver.  I have set up a fairly
clean system to use this in the car, although it is obviously complete
overkill.  I have cable from cabin to trunk, where the small receiver
box and antenna mount are.  Using a Diamond Antenna K601NMO which clips
to the inner trunk gutter lip, and folds down very easily to lay inside
the trunk, or to upright exterior use position.  I had to modify the
actual antenna attachment stud to use the marine 1" npt antenna mount,
but it wasn't that tough to do.

Write for other details and schematic.

Steve Poland
'88 535is
'79 SanJuan 28

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:45:58 -0800 (PST)
From: "K.C. Boyce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <M20B25> pinging

Jack Money wrote:

> The thing that concerns me most is the oil build up.

Well... You could just let the seals go until you have an engine that
automatically protects itself from corrosion.  Kinda like the P-Car
guys.  Or my Eta.  ;-)

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e
   E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.coloradocollege.edu/~k_boyce/
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:46:55 -0500
From: "George, Zachariah (CICG Development)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] RE: Bell sounds

Gosh! dear Celisa asks a question, and 
nearly half a digest gets devoted to her.

I hereby change my name to Cameron D.

thank you,
Zach (aka CD)

Ps. just ....KIDDING!  Celisa does have a *nice* car too - '99 328is.
(coupe!) 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:46:13 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [uuc] Bell Sounds

Ruling out the submarine targeting possibility, the bell is likely the
reminder indicating 15 seconds before the hour.  In every Bimmer I've owned
with this feature, from a '91 318is to a 2000 M5, it's three beeps.  The
purpose is so that you can listen to the news at the top of the hour,
giving you time to fire up the old AM radio to your favorite news station.
(Of course, you have to have your clock set accurately.)

The "freezing" warning bell, which is one "ding" and a flashing temp
indicator on the OBC, occurs when the outside temperature drops to 38
degrees Fahrenheit (before freezing, just in case the signs that say
"bridge freezes before road surface" are accurate).

Richard
'00 M5
'93 525i turbo

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:51:27 -0800 (PST)
From: "K.C. Boyce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E30> diff q

All,

I just picked up a new/used 3.25 LSD on Saturday.  Woo-hoo!

A first practical question: what are the "wave washers"?  Mike Miller's
article in EC said that you needed 6.  If they're for the rear cover,
you'd need 8.  Are they perhaps for the CV joint/output shaft junction?

A second more theoretical question: how the heck to diffs work?  I've
been trying to figure out a gear combination that would do what a diff
does, but haven't been able to do it.  Opening up the case and poking
around inside didn't help clarify things.

See, I'm trying to be able to build a car from trees (for when the
impending NATO/OPEC/Trilateral Commission invasion crushes all our cars
<G>).  No, actually, I just want to understand how everything works.  I
understand IC engines, transmissions, etc., but I can't figure out
diffs!

TIA.

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e --> soon to have a diff that matches its name
   E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.coloradocollege.edu/~k_boyce/
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #429
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to