[uucdigest]           Monday, March 13 2000           Volume 03 : Number 431



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       RE:[uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       RE: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video
       RE: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video
       Re: [uuc] E34 ///M Key
       [uuc] <E30> Where's the central locking unit?
       Re: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video
       [uuc] Re: Cargo net
       Re: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video
       Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo net
       [uuc] Re:  Bell Sounds
       Re: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video
       Re: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       Re: [uuc] double clutching
       [uuc] re Speeding ticket advice - Northern VA

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:12:30 -0500
From: Chris Whitney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE:[uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

Well, I had to chime in here since I am a diesel guy.  I'll split a fairly
large hair here, but water cleaning of turbochargers for large engines is
not only recommended but required.  I work for a large engine company -
and, quoth the manual we issue to proud new owners of our engines (up to
90,000 bhp today) "The dirt and deposits on the turbine side (the side
which the exhaust actually hits - as opposed to the compressor side) can be
reduced by periodic cleaning."  

We also require cleaning of the compressor side.

As Harvey C. says, "The key is how much/at what rate" and we also instruct
on both.  But then again our turbos are the size of VW bugs, sometimes.

So, a turbo isn't a combustion chamber, I'll grant you that, but turbos are
totally exposed to hot exhaust gasses, and I would expect that thermal
shocking is probably greater than to piston tops and cylinder heads due to
less thermal mass on turbine blades.  

Also, my gut says that to water clean an engine I don't know about the
"soak" or waiting period which Rob indicated, I would just do it with the
engine running.  Finally, just to come full circle, Yeah, why's yr engine
so dirty in the first place, and heaven knows what water does to all the
spiffy high tech parts in the engine inlet air stream, and Techron or Lubro
Ventil Sauber Moly XYZ....whatever is made by folks with a lot more money
to lose than I....

Rgds,
Chris Whitney
'88 535i, not 524td

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:07:35 -0500
From: "John Van Houten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video

>I also had Stella out on the 'parade laps' on Saturday and Sunday, and took
>a short video coming out of corner 10b, up the hill to 11, then down the
>hill heading towards turn 12 and and the front straight! I was using my
>Mavica and driving with one hand while shooting with the other - and even a
>'parade lap' speeds, that hill takes your breath away. It's like you are
>going to launch yourself into the Georgia sky, and by the time you see that
>there is MORE TRACK,. it is too late. That concrete wall comes up in a
>hurry.....quite agressive 'parade laps' if you really wanna know!!!!

Turn 12 at Road Atl definately has a "sphinter factor 10" associated with
it.  If you want to see an entire lap of Road Atl, at speed, go to
http://www.geocities.com/jvh_ice9/ (mirrored from my netcom page so they
don't shut me down again ;)  There are in car videos of a single lap at Road
Atl, Carolinas Motorsports Park and Roebling Road available.  After this
season I hope to add some midwest tracks, assuming I can get into the
schools...

John
E36M3 with stuff
www.netcom.com/~jvanhout

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:12:02 -0500
From: "John Van Houten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video

>I also had Stella out on the 'parade laps' on Saturday and Sunday, and took
>a short video coming out of corner 10b, up the hill to 11, then down the
>hill heading towards turn 12 and and the front straight! I was using my
>Mavica and driving with one hand while shooting with the other - and even a
>'parade lap' speeds, that hill takes your breath away. It's like you are
>going to launch yourself into the Georgia sky, and by the time you see that
>there is MORE TRACK,. it is too late. That concrete wall comes up in a
>hurry.....quite agressive 'parade laps' if you really wanna know!!!!

Turn 12 at Road Atl definately has a "sphinter factor 10" associated with
it.  If you want to see an entire lap of Road Atl, at speed, go to
http://www.geocities.com/jvh_ice9/ (mirrored from my netcom page so they
don't shut me down again ;)  There are in car videos of a single lap at Road
Atl, Carolinas Motorsports Park and Roebling Road available.  After this
season I hope to add some midwest tracks, assuming I can get into the
schools...

John
E36M3 with stuff
www.netcom.com/~jvanhout

- -----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: March 13, 2000 4:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video


I volunteered at the driving school this past weekend - a great time was
had by all. The weather was weird - Friday was dry, with some rain late,
Saturday was overcast with monsoon-like rains in the afternoon, then Sunday
was clear and cold - in the 30's early - and very windy! Road Atlanta lived
up to the challenge, only a few cars were damaged, mostly on the
rain-slickened track on Saturday. I've posted the pics to a new page on
Photopoint, link below.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=344104

I also had Stella out on the 'parade laps' on Saturday and Sunday, and took
a short video coming out of corner 10b, up the hill to 11, then down the
hill heading towards turn 12 and and the front straight! I was using my
Mavica and driving with one hand while shooting with the other - and even a
'parade lap' speeds, that hill takes your breath away. It's like you are
going to launch yourself into the Georgia sky, and by the time you see that
there is MORE TRACK,. it is too late. That concrete wall comes up in a
hurry.....quite agressive 'parade laps' if you really wanna know!!!!

http://www.conundrumcomputing.com/mvc-017v.mpg  800K, 35sec.

Steve Jones
1990 750iL 'Stella'
BMWCCA Peachtree, GA Chapter #164681
pics at http://conundrumcomputing.com/bimmer.htm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:40:53 -0800
From: Jim Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] E34 ///M Key

Get a E30 325i key and order the E30 M3 battery/lamp replacement. 
Dealer's are doofus's some days.

Jim

Kevin Kelly wrote:
> 
> The key that came with the E34 M5 is like a standard BMW key
> with a black roundel button to turn on the light, but it has
> the ///M logo on the back.  Any idea where to buy another
> one of these?
> 
> I called BMW of SF and Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo and they
> both said they have never seen one.  If I find a blank any
> idea where I can get one cut in the SF Bay Area?
> 
> Kevin P. Kelly
> BMW CCA 50039

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:40:53 GMT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] <E30> Where's the central locking unit?

I have just bought a 1989 318i Touring. It needs a little work so it's right up my 
street :-)

The central locking doesn't do anything at all, can't see any blown fuses. Where 
is the control module? Abover the glovebox? Any common probs on E30 c/l?

Also the rear passenger door won't open from the outside handle (which won't 
come fully up) or the inner button (which is stuck down). I'll try to remove the 
door lining from inside but would appreciate any advice. If I fix the c/l maybe 
it will sort itself out but I doubt it.
 
- --
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-)   
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:20:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Moe Drippins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video

Chester Wong writes:

> Is a video camera mount being used in that shot? It's awfully
> shaky... Or is there someone in the backseat holding a camcorder?

He said in his post he was holding it with one hand driving with
the other.

- -- 
Just Moe
'95 540 6 speed, BL/SS
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 2000 14:56:19 -0800
From: Gleb Arshinov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: Cargo net

>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    John> Where can I buy a cargo net for my e36 325?  John (tired of
    John> loose items slinging around the trunk)

    Gleb> If your E36 has the same trunk as '99 E36 M3 (probably),
    Gleb> your friendly BMW dealer will have a rather nice net that
    Gleb> fits very well.  It is $80 or something ridiculous like
    Gleb> that.

    Jim> The cargo net out of a Ford Taurus station wagon is very nice
    Jim> and much cheaper.

Yup, I did think it was ridiculous, but I don't have much sense so I
bought it. I also figured authentic BMW net would be worth 1-2 hp,
easily, and it would not void the trunk warranty the way your Ford
aftermarket product would.  Do you think I should have checked if
Dinan had a high-performance trunk net offering?  In any case, I am
going to blame your aftermarket high-performance trunk net for your
passing me the whole weekend in Buttonwillow :-)

Gleb <== I don't know about money, but definitely, no sense at all

PS Does Taurus wagon net attach to those plastic loops we have in the
trunk, like BMW net does? (I can't believe we are having a discussion
about trunk nets ... :-)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:04:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video

Brain fade...sorry.  I actually missed the original post and only saw the
follow up which contained only the link.  Whoops!  =)

Chester

- --- Moe Drippins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chester Wong writes:
> 
> > Is a video camera mount being used in that shot? It's awfully
> > shaky... Or is there someone in the backseat holding a camcorder?
> 
> He said in his post he was holding it with one hand driving with
> the other.
> 
> -- 
> Just Moe
> '95 540 6 speed, BL/SS
> BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter
> 

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:13:49 -0800
From: Jim Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo net

The one I have attaches nicely.  The clips are just a wee bit over sized
but you get the hang of putting them in after you get the first one in. 
Then they are a cinch.

Jim <== Will be discussing proper alignment of floor mat clips real soon
now.

Gleb Arshinov wrote:

> PS Does Taurus wagon net attach to those plastic loops we have in the
> trunk, like BMW net does? (I can't believe we are having a discussion
> about trunk nets ... :-)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:35:22 -0500
From: "Curt Kiser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re:  Bell Sounds

Don Eilenberger writes:
>Actually - this is the 2 minute warning bell.. for some odd reason
>it appears that bavarians need to be reminded that it's going to be
>some hour 2 minutes before - ie, at 2:58 a chime will ring to tell
>you that in 2 minutes it's going to be 3:00..

The explanation is very simple.  It's a 2 minute warning until the mandantory
beer break!

Curt Kiser
BMW CCA Tidewater Virginia Chapter
88' M5

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:56:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Moe Drippins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Road Atlanta Driving school pictures and short video

Chester Wong writes:

> Brain fade...sorry.

Time for a fluid flush. =) I need them every so often; it collects
moisture.

- -- 
Just Moe
'95 540 6 speed, BL/SS
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:16:28 -0500
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

The only problem with doing this on a BMW is getting an even distribution of
water.  On a carb car, the manifold is designed for wet flow so you can just
dribble water in.  With fuel injection, I think some kind of a fogger spray
arrangement would be much better.

Gary Derian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Deep-cleaning via water, windshield washer fluid, or even ATF is common.
I
> wrote up a procedure on the Digest a year or so ago.  It is a very
effective
> de-carbonization process that gets rid of carbon deposits which can cause
> knoca nd ping or affect emissions.
>
> With the motor running, you want to feed water in via a vaccum line that
> goes directly into the intake.  You may have to manually hold the throttle
> to keep the car from stalling.  Very quickly you will start to see some
> water vapor come out the tailpip - immediately let the car stall out or
shut
> it off.
>
> Wait about 5 minutes.
>
> Start the car and be prepared for huge white clouds of vapor that will
cover
> the area like a smoke bomb.  Drive the car around a bit to get all the
> moisture out.
>
> Dat's it, you're done!
>
> - Rob Levinson
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Neil Deshpande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 1:27 PM
> Subject: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning. Water?
>
>
> > In India CCDs are cleaned using water that is sprayed into the intake.
> When I first saw this I was horrified and asked the mechanic for an
> explanation.  In his limited technical vocabulary he gave me a simple
> explanation: blown head gaskets that allow water (not much coolant in
India
> in those days) to come in contact with the pistons result in clean
> combustion chambers being observed when the head is removed.
> >
> > Recently in conversation with a Malaysian friend, I learnt that they do
> the same thing in Malaysia.  An ex-Cummins friend pointed out a similar
> procedure was used at Cummins to clean their diesel motors.
> >
> > Anyone know anything about this?  Explanations?
> >
> > Neil Deshpande
> > 1988 325 iS
> > 1989 325 iC
> >
> >
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:25:40 -0500
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] double clutching

The purpose is to speed up the gears on the input side to the rpm needed
after a downshift.  This makes the process smoother and puts less strain on
the synchronizer rings.  The technique was probably developed before
synchromesh and in those days was necessary to downshift.  Now its a way for
the better drivers to separate themselves from the hoi-polloi.  Sort of like
manners and good grammar.

When downshifting, pause in neutral, release the clutch and rev the engine
to the rpm it will need in the lower gear.  Then quickly depress the clutch,
engage the lower gear and release the clutch.

Doing this while braking is a heel and toe double clutch downshift.

Gary Derian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> What is double-clutching?  When should it be used?
>
> Larry
> 97 318i
>
> Mech Designer/Draftsman
> Synthes Spine
>
> *************************************************************************
> The opinions and statements expressed above are mine, and do not reflect
> that of my employer.
> *************************************************************************
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:05:50 -0500
From: Ken Juul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] re Speeding ticket advice - Northern VA

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>re Speeding ticket advice - Northern VA</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My son did about the same thing in =
Harrisonburg.&nbsp; Haven't been to court yet, but we did call the =
clerk of the court to ask what to expect.&nbsp; Her advice was to plead =
guilty, then ask for dismissal of the charges/point if drivers school =
is completed.&nbsp; All fines/points are suspended until after the =
school date.&nbsp; Bring in your diploma no points.&nbsp; Hopefully it =
will work this way in reality.&nbsp; I think the drivers school can be =
used once every 5 years or something like that.&nbsp; Recommend giving =
the clerk a call.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #431
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to