[uucdigest]           Monday, March 13 2000           Volume 03 : Number 432



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] Alternator size
       [uuc] Re: Caliper Bolt Freezing
       RE: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       Re: [uuc] Re: Bell Sounds, another twist
       [uuc] Dunlop SP8000 vs. Toyo Proxes RA-1
       [uuc] <E30> last gasp for the warranty
       [uuc] Cargo net
       [uuc] Double (De)clutching.
       [uuc] Re:  Speeding ticket advice - Northern VA
       [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning. Water?
       [uuc] F/S - E36/E46 17" Radial Spoke Whls
       [uuc] <WOB> High End Amplifier Help.  Thanks.
       [uuc] bull in the china shop
       Re: [uuc] <WOB> High End Amplifier Help.  Thanks.
       [uuc] FW: ONE BBS 16x7 Basketweave F S + Alpina 
       [uuc] Re: speeding ticket / va

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:56:46 -0500
From: "Henry Caldwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Alternator size

>>There have been three alternators on 6cyl E36s. >From largest to smallest,
120
amp, 105 amp, and 80 amp.
Early 6cyl e36s came with the 120 amp (mine did.) Middle ones came with the
105
amp, and even later ones (M3s) came with the 80 amp. (Facts relayed to
me by ERT.)
"

Is this true?  Anyone know what size alternator came on a '99 M3?  Are the
120A
alternators still made?  Hmmmm.>>...

Chester

Yes. My '92 original alternator was 80 amp. When I replaced it I had the
option of going with 80, 105 or 120. All were used on the e36. I installed
the 120 amp.
Henry

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:06:00 -0800 (PST)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Re: Caliper Bolt Freezing

Speaking up a little late here, but oh well. 
I like to apply a drop of *BLUE* loc-tite to the threads. It prevents
corrosion and keeps them nice and snug.
FWIW,
Keith Way


- ----------
  Neil Deshpande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Having lost a caliper mounting bolt on I-275 N (makes for an interesting 
>  story) I cannot stress enough the need not to put anti-sieze or some
other 
>  this-makes-it-come-off-faster goop on the these things.

  after Tommy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had written: 
<snip>
>  i put a little 
>  antiseize on the threads when i put them back on to prevent them from 
>  freezing up again.
</snip>





_______________________________________________________
Get 100% FREE Internet Access powered by Excite
Visit http://freelane.excite.com/freeisp

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:26:48 -0700
From: "vanderHeide, Alain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

> From: Gary Derian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> 
> The only problem with doing this on a BMW is getting an even 
> distribution of
> water.  On a carb car, the manifold is designed for wet flow 
> so you can just
> dribble water in.  With fuel injection, I think some kind of 
> a fogger spray
> arrangement would be much better.
> 
> Gary Derian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 
> > Deep-cleaning via water, windshield washer fluid, or even 
> ATF is common.
> > [snip]

But we've already got a way of injecting controlled amounts of liquid into
the cylinders!  The fuel injectors themselves.  Just put a "T" fitting in
the fuel line upstream of the fuel rail, attach your garden hose (assuming
your local water pressure is high enough to overcome the working pressure of
the F.I. system, if not I'd suggest a power washer), and you're done!

ObDisclaimers:  I take no responsibility for the results if anyone out there
is actually drunk/stoned/tripping/insane enough to try this.  Obey all speed
limits.  Your mileage may vary.  Contents may have settled during shipping.


"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit."
- - Rev. Jim Peasboro

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:23:12 -0500
From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: Bell Sounds, another twist

Oh, man - ya ruined the punch line!

http://www.bubbaclub.com/rob/stories/bong.htm

- - Rob


- ----- Original Message ----- 
From: Erick Baumeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: bmwuucdigest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 3:42 PM
Subject: [uuc] Re: Bell Sounds, another twist


> Hey Rob, remember this one?
> After a long trip, unbuckling the seatbelt and getting out of the car
> causes a repetitive boinging....had to disconnect the connection under
> the seat to get it to stop....
> 
> Erick Baumeister
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:34:21 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Dunlop SP8000 vs. Toyo Proxes RA-1

I'm about to upgrade the tires on my '88 M3 to a tire more suitable to both 
daily driving and stock class, entry level AutoX.  Now I know that I am never 
going to have the best of both worlds in this situation, but am hoping to 
improve the handling of the car both on road and on the AutoX course.  

I have narrowed it down to the Dunlop SP Sport 8000 and the Toyo Proxes RA-1. 
 I believe the correct size for both of these on the stock M3 wheel is 
225/50-15.  If anyone has a different opinion please let me know.  I'd love 
to hear experiences and performance reviews with these two tires and am open 
to suggestions of other manufactures/models if anyone knows of better choices.

Thank you,
- - Ezra
'88 E30 M3

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:36:51 -0800 (PST)
From: John Bolhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E30> last gasp for the warranty

 I had been hearing a buzz in my car stereo for a couple days. 
Sounded like spark noise, except it didn't vary with engine speed.
Hmm, I thought, my audio cables run right past the fuel pump under the
back seat.  Maybe my fuel pump is making electrical noise for me.  Or
maybe my audio system is coming un-grounded or something silly.

 Out running errands on Sunday, I mention to my passenger, "say, that
buzz is getting louder.  Maybe I should have a look at it when I get
the time."  Upon leaving the store, I almost made it to the street,
but not quite.  *cough* *wheeze* and there I was blocking the driveway
out.  The gentleman in the Cadillac behind me was kind enough to back
up so that we could push the car back into the lot, but not before he
grinned and made some comment about that BMW quality.  *grumble*

 So a $93 tow later, the car was dropped at the dealer.  Sure enough,
fuel pump dead.  Now for the good part: I bought the extended
warranty.  My '93 E30 325iC gets a free fuel pump.  Probably one of
the last warranty E30 repairs that will ever be done.  But even
better, the warranty expires March 20.  That's right, I had something
break EIGHT DAYS before the warranty ran out.  WOOO!  I RULE!

 FWIW, my extended warranty was worth it.  Oil pan gasket, then head
gasket, then this $370 fuel pump job.  I came out ahead.

- --
  John Bolhuis  | "In America it is not considered to be mentally ill
 bolhuijo       | when a woman advances on her prey in a discotheque
  @bolhuijo.com | setting with hardy cocktails present."
                |                                      -Madonna

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:07:46 -0400
From: Roger Langille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Cargo net

I got one from Imparts, a couple years ago. Maybe $30; can't quite remember.

(Installed it at night, so the car wouldn't see that it wasn't O.E.)
 
Works like a charm and can be removed instantly.

Roger Langille
E36 325

                                                                                       
                                                                                       
                                                                                       
                                                                                       
                                                                                       
                                                                                       
                                                                                       
                                                                                       
                                                                                       
                                                                                       
             

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:15:33 -0500
From: "Neil Deshpande" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Double (De)clutching.

Gary Derian describes the double clutching procedure.  I think they call this double 
declutching in India where cars without a synchromesh first gear were made and sold 
widely until two years ago.  They should all be out with Euro II emissions coming in 
next year though.

Basically the Fiat 1100 D (1950s) and the Morris Oxford (1950s) were current models in 
India till about 2 years ago.  None of them had a synchromesh 1st gear.  With 
fading/failing brakes on hill roads double declutching was a widely know technique in 
case you had to slow down and the brakes failed!  I still remember my Father teaching 
my Mom how to drive and telling her to brake quickly and slow down the car rather than 
drag the brakes and risk fade!

What the synchros do via friction of the synchro cones is accomplished by the revving 
in neutral with the clutch up.  On synchro cars this saves synchro wear and on 
non-synchro cars it prevents gear tooth chipping!

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 iS
1989 325 iC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:19:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Kyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re:  Speeding ticket advice - Northern VA

Tim,

Reckless driving in VA is a big deal - 3 in ten years
is a felony and large fine and jail time are possible,
but only in extreme cases.  The court will inform you
of the possibility of severity of the charge and
recommend seeking the services of an Attorney.  Duane
C. will tell you all about the good ol' boy network of
the VA court system so seeking counsel is advisable,
but not necessary.  In court the key is to stress that
the maneuvers were not reckless, shoot for having the
charge amended to improper driving which carries a
simple 4 point slap on the wrist.  Driving school is a
must do!  It is good for 5 "good" points every two
years and can be taken in one day in a classroom type
environment from private companies such as "EZ-method"
and will run around $70 (no CA style computer school
here), it will only serve as a goodwill gambit and
should be mentioned, documented, and passed to the
Judge (they love documents).  If you wife takes these
classes this weekend and you continue your case, the
points should show up on the officers DMV driving
record print out.  This comes into play only after the
Judge has made his decision, it is only used in
assessing the amount of the fine based on her previous
driving record.  Good luck and keep us posted!!

- -Kyle
Uncivilized 325is
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:20:36 -0800 (PST)
From: kjk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning. Water?

Maybe a few treatments of Redline cleaner would be
safer.

Kevin Kelly
the other one with a '91 M5 
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:29:09 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] F/S - E36/E46 17" Radial Spoke Whls

I recently purchased a set of Factory 17" Radial Spoke Wheels for my '99 
323i/4 (E46) - I have been debating as to whether or not to keep them, as I 
bought them on a whim - I really want the 328 Sport (or 323Ci sport) 17" 
wheels..  (I'll probably just buy the knock-off's from Discount Tire)

So, I'm offering these for sale.. just to reiterate they're 17" Radial Spoke 
BMW Factory wheels - I know they come standard on Z3 2.8 Coupe's.  They are 
17x7.5", and they're in perfect condition.  All (4) are perfectly round and 
true.  

New they go for $395 each.  My price is $775 for all (4), plus shipping, or 
best offer.   Please Respond privately to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TIA

- -Ted
'99 323i/4

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:44:35 -0500
From: "Neil Deshpande" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <WOB> High End Amplifier Help.  Thanks.

I had requested comments on a high-end amplifier purchase and received numerous 
responses generally recommending a small set of manufacturers - NAD, Rotel, etc. - and 
using headphone amps for headphones instead of the headphone section of a power amp.

My employer, for whom the purchase was to be made, has decided to go with Sennheiser 
H580 headphones, a Carver Sunfire subwoofer and is yet to decide on the amps as they 
are not avaliable for a demo.

Thanks a lot for your responses - too many to acknowledge individually.  Many were 
lengthy and considered and I learnt much from them.  I also ended up meeting a Lister 
in person.

Thanks again.

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 iS
1989 325 iC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:21:07 -0800 (PST)
From: John Bolhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] bull in the china shop

 A drunk driver in a pickup truck took a shortcut through the very
crowded, very small lot of a local independent BMW mechanic last
night.  He got 4 cars on his way out.  Added a dent to a friend's
already-dented 535i.  (insult to injury!)  Scraped down the side of a
528e, and even totalled an older Mercedes 560sel by plowing in the
front fender, both drivers side doors, and somehow, both rear fenders.
 The shop owner said he nearly had a stroke when he came to work
and found the carnage.  Poor guy doesn't deserve that crap...

- --
  John Bolhuis  | "In America it is not considered to be mentally ill
 bolhuijo       | when a woman advances on her prey in a discotheque
  @bolhuijo.com | setting with hardy cocktails present."
                |                                      -Madonna

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:25:22 -0800
From: Don Cicchetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] <WOB> High End Amplifier Help.  Thanks.

Hi Neil,

Good choice on the cans, err, headphones.  I record orchestras and 
have used HD580's for 5 years now.  Wonderul sound.

A lot of pro heaphone amps, like the Rane and others can easily run 
on the 13.8 or so a car puts out, with a simple power supply.  I 
missed the first post, this WAS for your car wasn't it?

cheers

DC




>I had requested comments on a high-end amplifier purchase and 
>received numerous responses generally recommending a small set of 
>manufacturers - NAD, Rotel, etc. - and using headphone amps for 
>headphones instead of the headphone section of a power amp.
>
>My employer, for whom the purchase was to be made, has decided to go 
>with Sennheiser H580 headphones, a Carver Sunfire subwoofer and is 
>yet to decide on the amps as they are not avaliable for a demo.
>
>Thanks a lot for your responses - too many to acknowledge 
>individually.  Many were lengthy and considered and I learnt much 
>from them.  I also ended up meeting a Lister in person.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Neil Deshpande
>1988 325 iS
>1989 325 iC

- -- 
___________________
Donald Chris Cicchetti
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

DC Technologies, San Diego, CA
Recording, CD Mastering, Sound System Design and Install, Video, & 
Live Sound support.
__________________

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:40:21 -0000
From: "BMW Bits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] FW: ONE BBS 16x7 Basketweave F S + Alpina 

title sez it ....BLACK CENTRE ,mfg 1985 7J16H2 , ET11 ,KBA 40545 . Straight
, pretty clean . Silver/polished rim .5-bolt
Digipic avail if serious .
Protected from UPS by a Yoko A403 205-55 VR16 with LOTS of tread AND lots of
cracks. Wouldnt use as a tyre on my wheelbarrow.
Great for spare or replacement for 'ice-incidents 'etc....WHEEL ONLY is
useable, tyre is 'cosmetic damage defense mechanism' for shipping ONLY.
Besterest offer.....FOB Seattle.

Have a set of 16x7 Alpinas coming soon ....

Bill Proud , 29yrs messing with BMWs in Seattle

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:44:53 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Re: speeding ticket / va

In a message dated 3/13/00 5:41:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< ate: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:51:43 -0500
 From: "Timothy Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: [uuc] Speeding ticket advice - Northern VA
 
 My wife got a ticket for 68 in a 45 on Rte 15 in Haymarket. More than 20 
 over the limit is reckless driving in Virginia. Court date is May 18th. She
 was definitely speeding and was caught on radar. No arguments there. It was
 a Haymarket police officer and the hearing is in Prince William County court
 in Manassas. What can she do to limit the damage? Does VA offer driver's
 training like other states? Is this something that she would be expected to
 know and ask for?
 
 Please reply privately as I've got four days worth of digests in my Inbox.
 
 Tim T
  >>
Tim,

If she is going to plead guilty, get a copy of her driver's record (DMV, I 
think) and take it with you to court. That way the judge will know that she 
has been a good girl the last two years and qualifies for the driver's safety 
school (the court's computer systems are not always on line). Make it clear 
to the commonwealth's attorney that you would like the safety school if you 
plead guilty. It appears they will usually agree if you are eligible and VERY 
polite.  I am no lawyer, but I sat in on traffic court in Loudoun County late 
last year as a witness, and helped a non-English speaking purp get this in 
place of a reckless conviction.  Maybe it was just the Christmas spirit.

I bet your wife got caught coming over the route 66 overpass.  I've seen them 
there quite often.

Bob Chapman
National Capital Chapter CCA
Just up route 15 from Haymarket
'87 L7 "Shaft"
'89 325ic
other stuff

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #432
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to