[uucdigest]          Tuesday, March 14 2000          Volume 03 : Number 433



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits
       [uuc] Re: Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       [uuc] <E30> Diff Q
       [uuc] Another CD changer question
       [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?????
       [uuc] Yes, E9's are at 
       Re: [uuc] Alternator size
       [uuc] Mid-Atlantik '02 Fest I (Update)
       [uuc] Anti theft radio code
       NEVER MIND...Re: [uuc] Anti theft radio code
       Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?????
       Re: [uuc] Alternator size

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:51:07 -0500
From: Chris Pawlowicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

Don sez
> The cooling effect of the water shocks the carbon deposits (and
> the piston and the valves and lots of other things not made to come
> in contact with water), loosening the carbon. That's the good part.
> 
> The bad part is most metals don't like this kind of sudden thermal
> change - and may do bad things like fracture or soften. And for it to
> have any real effect - you have to add enough moisture (water)
> to change temperatures.. at the least - it's risky. Sorta like
> pouring Marvel-Mystery-Oirl down the intake...


What about Ventil Sauber ? That Lubro-Moly product, specifically
designed for cleaning intake deposits.

A well big name brand well respected company, blah blah blah, 

You take a bottle of the stuff, have it sucked into the intake (through
a vacuum line)
engine will stall (or manually stop it), let it soak for a while, start
it up and voila. Smoke and fumes and clean chamber.

My point is that 
a) this is a real company selling a real product
b) the liquid (room temperature) gets sucked into the intake and coats
the combustion chamber
c) it cleans out deposits
d) is safe and meant for modern engines
e) is used in a similar fashion to the 'water/washerfluid/etc' method




chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:00:33 -0500
From: "Bailey Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Deposits

There are at least two chemical formulations which  seem to work pretty
well based on my experience and anecdotal evidence. Lubro Moly Ventil
Sauber can be used via the vacumn hose method Rob referred to(the
Bavarian Autosport Catalog contains a detailed how-to as well). I also
had excellent results from GM Top Engine Cleaner back in my carburetor
days; I think it now comes in a spray can. The drill is: warm up motor,
empty contents into motor, shut off motor for 30+ minutes, then  restart
and observe gobs of junk pour out the tailpipe. A good time to try this
is immediately prior to changing the plugs, since there is a good
possibility that a newly loosened chunk of carbon will foul one or more
plugs. In any case, I doubt most BMWs need a procedure this drastic-
especially if they have been fed a steady diet of name-brand fuel and
are driven in a "spirited" manner.

Bailey Taylor
1995 318ti Club Sport
1998 318tia Active
1993 Pathfinder SE "Gojira"
1998 Dixon ZTR 5424
1972 IH Cub Lo Boy 154
1971 Benelli Mini Enduro

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:03:17 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

At 09:51 PM 3/13/00 -0500, Chris Pawlowicz wrote:

>What about Ventil Sauber ? That Lubro-Moly product, specifically
>designed for cleaning intake deposits.
>
>A well big name brand well respected company, blah blah blah, 
>
>You take a bottle of the stuff, have it sucked into the intake (through
>a vacuum line)
>engine will stall (or manually stop it), let it soak for a while, start
>it up and voila. Smoke and fumes and clean chamber.
>
>My point is that 
>a) this is a real company selling a real product

As is STP..

>b) the liquid (room temperature) gets sucked into the intake and coats
>the combustion chamber

Yup..

>c) it cleans out deposits

It sez.

>d) is safe and meant for modern engines

Well - do we know this? That it's 'safe'?

>e) is used in a similar fashion to the 'water/washerfluid/etc' method

Similar, but not a fluid which can create the steam that water 
hitting hot metal WILL make - and which can cool parts the water
doesn't directly touch.. it also is probably a solvent which is
combustable (hence the smoke). Water is not under normal circumstances
combustable.

>chris pawlowicz
>'89 325i
>'74 2002

Chris - like I said - if anyone is doing this to their BMW, 
I'd like to watch.. (from a bit of a distance).

I have not heard from anyone yet who can quote a service manual
from any manufacturer of a modern engine which recommends this
technique. 

And if your engine is that crudded up (seen the head off a 
modern engine lately? Engines not only run cleaner externally
with lower emissions, but internally much cleaner.)
something is WRONG. 

Blowing the carbon off is a short-term fix for a symptom 
of a problem, but unless what is causing carbon buildup 
is fixed - it will just reappear. 

If it sounds too good to be true - it is.


Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:52:46 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] <E30> Diff Q

KC writes.....

"I just want to understand how everything works.  I understand IC engines, 
transmissions, etc., but I can't figure out diffs!"

KC and others:

Check out www.howstuffworks.com  There might be a diff article.

If you've ever wondered about how something works, go there and look.

Carter Hunt
325E L Stock racer/weekend street
Effective and affordable driver cooling   www.coolpadunit.homestead.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:00:40 -0500
From: "Kevin Rowley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Another CD changer question

Can anyone tell me which (if any) CD changer works in an '89 535i?  I think
I have the right one, but would like to verify if anyone has such a beast.
The changer I have is made by Alpine (but branded BMW), kind of gray in
color, and has a black DIN cable, a yellow wire with fuse holder and a black
wire coming out of the back.

If this is the correct one, I am assuming that I will need to wire the car,
since I am sure the thing is not pre-wired.  I will also need to acquire
bracketry, since none is in the car or attached to the changer.  So, anyone
been here before me?  Any advice you'd like to share?  Thanks!

- -Kevin Rowley

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:08:34 -0500
From: "Benjamin R. MacRae" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?????

Hi to all, 

Valentine One is out of my budget.  No way, cant justify spending $400 on a
detector.  Not saying that I speed, just would like one for piece of mind;
yeah, that's it.....<grin>.

I know that C&D pretty much layed the facts down the last time they tested
detectors (which was about 4 years ago if I remember correctly).  V1 is the
best.  

Well, isnt there something else for cheaper, around $100-150 that would
work *pretty* well?  

I live in a rural area, very few people, so a fair amount of highway
driving, polive generally arent using multiple-car traps or anything fancy,
just an occasional trap set up on the side of the road coming over a hill
or around a curve, blasting every car that comes by....or the patrol car
driving along blasting oncoming traffic.  Dont think there is any laser in
use around here....

Maybe I'm just not understanding the whole thing here......if it's
instant-on, you're gone, or at least you'd better have a heckuv a detector
that picks out the cop when he instant-ons the guy ahead of you 3 miles up
the road.  If he's sitting there with the radar just a runnin' away, then
while a cheapo detector wont pick him up as soon as a super sensitive V1,
it would pick him up at some point, right??? (hopefully before you are past
him/her).

Any comments appreciated, please email privately to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ben

Not speeing, just wanting a detector for piece of mind, and, uhhh, to add
to the electronic gear already in my vehicle:>)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:15:50 -0800
From: Olsen Architects <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Yes, E9's are at 

BMW CS Registry USA, http://www.bmwcsregistry.org. In the Northwest (OR, WA, BC) they 
are also at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. Check it out!


Ken Olsen
1973 3.0 cs
1972 2002Tii (FS)
1990 535i
1995 525Touring

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:43:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Alternator size

> Yes. My '92 original alternator was 80 amp. When I replaced it I had the
> option of going with 80, 105 or 120. All were used on the e36. I installed
> the 120 amp.
> Henry

I did a little digging:

12 31 1 744 560   Compact Alternator 80A
12 31 1 744 563   Compact Alternator 140A
12 31 1 744 564   AT-Compact Alternator 80A
12 31 1 744 567   AT-Compact Alternator 140A

What's the difference between Compact and AT-Compact?  Also, are there any
negatives associated with installing bigger alternators other than an increased
drag load?

TIA,
Chester

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:50:00 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Mid-Atlantik '02 Fest I (Update)

Hello Everyone,

Just a reminder about the First Annual Mid-Atlantik '02 Fest to be held on 
April 29, 2000 at Shenandoah River State Park (Bentonville, VA), Route 340 
between Front Royal and Luray, VA (rain date May 6th)...in the beautiful 
Shenandoah Valley near Skyline Drive. 

I am working on an agenda, but due to my father being gravely ill in the 
hospital, I haven't had "any" time for well over a week to work on the 
agenda....gee, I almost forgot what it felt like to go 40 hours on about 1 
hour of sleep .

Thanks to all who have offered to assist me with the planning, lining up 
sponsors, etc. It's gonna be fun!

Mark your calendars NOW! Let's get 40 to 50 2002's for this gathering...and 
yes non-'02's are welcome (I've been asked)...but our paved parking area is 
"Reserved for BMW's Only"!

More details to follow!

John Weese
Landisville, PA
BMW CCA #76646
Event Organizer
Mid-Atlantik(with a "k") '02 Fest I

p.s. "There WILL be door prizes!" 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:47:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Anti theft radio code

Hey guys.  So I'm dusting off my stock head unit to do some testing.  I connect
ground, 12V battery and 12V switched power supplies to the back connectors.  I
see the red LED blinking, but nothing else.  How do I disable the anti-theft
radio code?  I have the code, but just don't know how to input it.

Thanks,
Chester

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:55:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NEVER MIND...Re: [uuc] Anti theft radio code

Duh...I didn't see that there were 3 power connections.  Once I connected that,
it worked like a charm.

Thanks,
Chester

- --- Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey guys.  So I'm dusting off my stock head unit to do some testing.  I
> connect
> ground, 12V battery and 12V switched power supplies to the back connectors. 
> I
> see the red LED blinking, but nothing else.  How do I disable the anti-theft
> radio code?  I have the code, but just don't know how to input it.


=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:32:45 -0500
From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?????

Having owned and used a few high-end "regular" detectors over the years
(Uniden RD-9, RD-9XL, Bel 745STi), I recently acquired a V1.  I still have
the Bel in my other car.

I used to think the same way you do - a slightly cheaper model has to be as
good as the V1, right?

Wrong.

It feels like the same difference between listening to music on a hand-held
mono AM radio speaker and a Dolby 5.1 Surround system using Magnaplanar
speakers.

That $150 you save now will cost you at least as much in your first ticket.

The expression "penny wise and pound foolish" springs to mind, which would
describe me for the years I did not use the V1.  This is one very expensive
product that is worth the money *regardless* of your actual budget... if you
can't afford a V1, you can't afford to speed.

- - Rob Levinson
(Yeah, I jsut use it for safety. Uh-huh, sure)

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Benjamin R. MacRae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?????
> Valentine One is out of my budget.  No way, cant justify spending $400 on
a
> detector.  Not saying that I speed, just would like one for piece of mind;
> yeah, that's it.....<grin>.
> Well, isnt there something else for cheaper, around $100-150 that would
> work *pretty* well?
> I live in a rural area, very few people, so a fair amount of highway
> driving, polive generally arent using multiple-car traps or anything
fancy,
> just an occasional trap set up on the side of the road coming over a hill
> or around a curve, blasting every car that comes by....or the patrol car
> driving along blasting oncoming traffic.  Dont think there is any laser in
> use around here....
>
> Maybe I'm just not understanding the whole thing here......if it's
> instant-on, you're gone, or at least you'd better have a heckuv a detector
> that picks out the cop when he instant-ons the guy ahead of you 3 miles up
> the road.  If he's sitting there with the radar just a runnin' away, then
> while a cheapo detector wont pick him up as soon as a super sensitive V1,
> it would pick him up at some point, right??? (hopefully before you are
past
> him/her).
> Any comments appreciated, please email privately to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Ben
> Not speeing, just wanting a detector for piece of mind, and, uhhh, to add
> to the electronic gear already in my vehicle:>)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:33:39 -0500
From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Alternator size

Chicks dig a big alternator.  That's the difference.

- - Rob

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> What's the difference between Compact and AT-Compact?  Also, are there any
> negatives associated with installing bigger alternators other than an
increased
> drag load?
>
> TIA,
> Chester

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #433
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to