[uucdigest] Tuesday, March 14 2000 Volume 03 : Number 434 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe, | visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com | Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Complaints? Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must. | Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com | www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net" | Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards! | Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest: | http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm ����������������������������������������� In this BMW UUC Digest: [uuc] Re: Bell Sounds, another twist [uuc] How do I break into my E36? [uuc] Road Atlanta video and audio confessions Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One????? Re: [uuc] Road Atlanta video and audio confessions [uuc] RE: what detectors are as good as Valentine 1? Re: [uuc] RE: what detectors are as good as Valentine 1? [uuc] Re: E34 ///M Key [uuc] Dunlop SP8000 vs. Toyo Proxes RA-1 [uuc] <E30> 87 325is value (?) [uuc] <E34> M30B35 Auxiliary Fan Temp. Switch R&R RE: [uuc] <E30> Where's the central locking unit? [uuc] RE: Valentine One????? [uuc] BMW Books [uuc] Blue M6 on 77 Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?? Re: [uuc] Blue M6 on 77 [uuc] Re: Cargo Nets [uuc] E36 M3 Springs////M Key Blanks Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo Nets ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:43:50 -0800 From: Erick Baumeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Re: Bell Sounds, another twist Yeah, OK, I really spoiled that one. I should have read the damn post again before sending it out. When mine went "bong" crazy I had only had the 535 for a few weeks, it was on it's first long trip, and the bonging coincided with: 1) turning off the car after spirited driving for a few hours. 2) clouds of smoke filling the interior and around the car from a previously unknown oil leak that found its way to the top of the catalytic convertor. I thought I had an in-car Smoke detector! So if you missed it, check out the link to Rob's encounter with this gremlin...... Erick Baumeister "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >Oh, man - ya ruined the punch line! http://www.bubbaclub.com/rob/stories/bong.htm - - - Rob ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:37:58 -0500 From: "VITOLO_JONA"@LNMTA.bentley.edu Subject: [uuc] How do I break into my E36? I remember last week someone was posting about how to break into E36's. I was playing around on my car tonight and I got as far as popping the hood and getting to the fusebox. What would they do next? Obviously the car would be locked. Wouldnt pulling the fuse make the system inoperable? Which fuse is it_i saw 7, 36, and 43. What do you do from that point? Thanks in advance Jonathan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:59:06 -0500 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: [uuc] Road Atlanta video and audio confessions I was holding my Mavica in my right hand, driving with my left. I have a camera mount for Stella, but didn't bring it to the track, not thinking that I would want to video parade laps. Heck, even at 'parade lap' speeds, turn 10b, 11, and 12 give you the creeps. What music was I listening to? I grew up in Melbourne, FL - for some reason alot of rock bands are there - and every year a local studio puts out a CD called 'We Live Here'. Just local hard rock-and-roll. I'm a light jazz fan but when Stella us on the track, she likes that kind of music. Hey - Stella, Road Atlanta, CD player loaded with rock music turned way up.....can it get any better than that? Steve Jones 1990 750iL 'Stella' BMWCCA Peachtree, GA Chapter #164681 pics at http://conundrumcomputing.com/bimmer.htm ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:01:03 -0400 From: Steven Schlossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One????? At 1:32 AM -0500 3/14/2000, Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks wrote: >The expression "penny wise and pound foolish" springs to mind, which would >describe me for the years I did not use the V1. This is one very expensive >product that is worth the money *regardless* of your actual budget... if you >can't afford a V1, you can't afford to speed. And chicks dig it. ;) ..steven V1 and a stock alternator. My wife has not complained of either. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:22:55 -0500 From: "Pat Donahue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Road Atlanta video and audio confessions Many years ago, before I was doing a lot of track time, I used to go with a friend to P-car events. They had one at Summit Point that he took his 928 out to (Euro '77 with later upgrades). When they did parade laps at lunch he said he wanted to get a video of his car from behind driving the line. Since his girlfriend was there I sorta envisioned her riding with me in my full sized Bronco holding the camera. Nope. He wanted her riding with him and of course he can't be boring. I followed them around with one eye stuck to the camera (no fancy little flip out screens back then) and one eye on the road. The Bronco was a slushbox by the way. It's funny how your perception changes like that. I thought I was going really fast but convinced myself I wasn't until I drifted through turn 5. The corner workers were in stiches as I followed this 928 driving fairly hard with a camcorder stuck to my face. The video came out pretty good! Geeeze '88 325is SCCA ITS #88 '91 Honda Gold Wing - ----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > I was holding my Mavica in my right hand, driving with my left. I have a > camera mount for Stella, but didn't bring it to the track, not thinking > that I would want to video parade laps. Heck, even at 'parade lap' speeds, > turn 10b, 11, and 12 give you the creeps. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:24:55 -0800 From: "BILL MITCHELL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] RE: what detectors are as good as Valentine 1? The subject poses the question,<What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?????> Rob answers correctly, NONE are as good as V-1!!!!! I've been using detectors since 1893, when I bought my first P-car, and put an Escort in it. (Mike Valentine designed it). I've stuck with his products ever since. They are, simply, THE BEST. Others may save you a ticket once in a while, but the V-1 will tell you where the radar is coming from, how many are tracking you, and how close(relatively) they are to you. This doesn't mean you have an "invisible shield" surrounding you and you're totally protected. You have to use your brain as well, and a cop who pops over a hill and zaps you instantly will have you dead to rights even with a V-1 unless he's been zapping others down the road and you've gotten the warning from them.( And you thought it wasn't working, right? All those "false alarms) weren't really false!) Valentine takes credit cards, and you can pay for it over time if you must, but the money you save will probably go out the window(literally) the first time you are stopped. Valentine also offers units for sale that have been returned under their 30 day money-back program, at a reduced price. Call them and ask about one. You may have to wait a few weeks for it but you'll save a few bucks, and this is the ONLY way to get one cheaper, unless you deal with the midnight auto parts group,or have a rich uncle. Bill Mitchell '95 540i/6(V-1 equipped) '97 740iL(v-1 equipped) '90 325is(no detector, yet) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:53:11 -0500 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [uuc] RE: what detectors are as good as Valentine 1? Bill Mitchell wrote: >Rob answers correctly, NONE are as good as V-1!!!!! I've been using >detectors since 1893 Man, you're one old dude! Didn't know detectors were used back in the 1890's. - -Carlos 91 M3 no V1, recommends a Bel as 2nd best. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:08:51 EST From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: [uuc] Re: E34 ///M Key In a message dated 03/13/2000 5:46:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: > The key that came with the E34 M5 is like a standard BMW key > with a black roundel button to turn on the light, but it has > the ///M logo on the back. Any idea where to buy another > one of these? If you want the light by itself it's PN# 51-21-2-252-682. Stephen ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:33:34 -0800 (PST) From: Arslan Akhtar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Dunlop SP8000 vs. Toyo Proxes RA-1 I have the SP Sport 9000's on my GTI and they are simply amazing in both the dry and wet. Can't comment on the Toyo as I've no experience with them. Alpina22 '00 X5 '00 528i '94 325is (just sold) '98 GTI VR6 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:45:19 -0500 From: neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] <E30> 87 325is value (?) Hello all, My wife found a 325is at a used car lot here in town, and I'm trying to figure out if their asking price is good, bad, or indifferent. O.K. the truth is that what I'm really trying to get is the rock-bottom price that I'm going to offer for it, because I'm cheap I have only looked at it once, at night, but here are the known particulars (that aren't on all of them) so far: 1987 Bronzitbeige/tan leather (cracked, etc, as you would expect for a 13 year old car), 5 speed, power sun roof, premium sound with a f*&^ed up "magic fingers" radio. (the don't-touch-me alarm keeps beeping), 102k, no apparent rust, no dents, integrated phone. They have $6600 on it, and have a printout from the Kelly Blue book web page taped to the window, listing retail value as $6679. I can't run Edmunds or NADA on this car as they only go back as far as 1990. Could anyone help me find some printable document that might help me get the price down to....say $5500(or even $5k)? Or any online resource that goes back to 1987 (other than classified ads)? Thanks in advance! Of course, I know that 102k is not bad for a BMW, but I'm counting on THEM not knowing that I know, so I plan to use that as a lever. The trouble is that our 91 has 96k, and my '85 has 150k, and they'll look at so either one that I drive, and see that I know. But, do they know that I know that they know...?.... - -- Do Svedanya! Neil Hitze http://www.hitze.com/~neil "..the underdog will eventually survive...." --Colin James Hay "This is not a step." --Heywood Banks Star Trek stuff for sale: http://www.hitze.com/~neil/startrek/startrekforsale.htm ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:57:12 -0800 (PST) From: Andy Peavy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] <E34> M30B35 Auxiliary Fan Temp. Switch R&R Does anybody have any tips for installing a new auxiliary fan temperature switch? Andy Peavy 91 535i email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:58:03 -0500 From: "John Van Houten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: RE: [uuc] <E30> Where's the central locking unit? >The central locking doesn't do anything at all, can't see any blown fuses. Where >is the control module? Abover the glovebox? Any common probs on E30 c/l? On my 87 325is, the central locking module was located below the speaker in the drivers kick panel. As far as common problems, the lock cylinders often go bad. hth John ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:13:31 -0500 From: "George, Zachariah (CICG Development)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] RE: Valentine One????? Also heard of the Valentine 1: "if you can't afford it, save up and buy one." (!) ...it's THAT good. Zach > ------------------------------ > > Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:32:45 -0500 > From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Subject: Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than > Valentine One????? > > describe me for the years I did not use the V1. This is one > very expensive > product that is worth the money *regardless* of your actual > budget... if you > can't afford a V1, you can't afford to speed. > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:17:25 -0500 From: "Lee Leslie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] BMW Books Well, I finally broke down & bought the Bentley for my E36 M3... if you have not tried this site... Check it out... the Bentley is $47! http://www.bestbookbuys.com/cgi-bin/bbb.cgi?ISBN=0837603269 Also if anyone is interested I have the E28 Bentley (for 5's/6's) that I no longer use as I regretfully sold my 635 last fall.... E-mail me privately... PS: Did anyone pick up a Grey 87' 635 157K in Charlotte last September? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:20:05 -0500 From: "Lee Leslie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Blue M6 on 77 By chance is the gentleman that was driving his immaculate blue M6 yesterday about 5pm in Charlotte on I77 on the list? How fast were you going? 120 or 130? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:20:31 -0500 (EST) From: Vincent Mathew Malfa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?? Steven Schlossman wrote: > And chicks dig it. ;) > If only you were kidding! It seems the same type of woman who gets caught up in the image of a BMW driver is also willing to melt in your passenger seat upon seeing the V1's very trick concealed display. I've really gotta stop volunteering to drive girls home from parties... <g> - -Matt M. stock alternator ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:20:33 -0800 From: "Jonathan Reiser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Blue M6 on 77 Being able to hit 120-130 on an interstate @ 5pm only happens in ones dreams here in Ca.... - ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Leslie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "bmwuucdigest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "E24" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 7:20 AM Subject: [uuc] Blue M6 on 77 > By chance is the gentleman that was driving his immaculate blue M6 yesterday > about 5pm in Charlotte on I77 on the list? How fast were you going? 120 or 130? > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:29:35 -0800 From: "Kevin Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Re: Cargo Nets Gleb Arshinov wrote: > your friendly BMW dealer will have a rather nice net > that fits very well. It is $80 or something ridiculous > like that. I was in a friends garage a couple years ago and I spotted a big box with about 50 cargo nets in it. I asked him where he got them all and he said that he travels a couple times a month and finds them in the trunks of the GM cars he rents. I dug through the box and found a double sided one for the Range Rover tailgate and a couple regular ones for the Range Rover load area and the M5 trunk. Kevin Kelly BMW CCA 50039 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:30:08 -0800 From: "Kevin Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] E36 M3 Springs////M Key Blanks A friend just bought an E36 325i and was talking about replacing the stock springs with the stock springs from an E36 M3. Can you just pop in the new springs or is there other things you need to change (I know it would be a good idea to change the shocks)? Kevin Kelly BMW CCA 50039 P.S. I wanted to ask again if anyone knows of a source for the BMW factory key blank with the ///M logo on the back. I got six responses, but they were all from people who are also looking for the same blank. It sounds like it was used on the E34 M5 and the early E36 M3 (before the EWS keys were used) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:38:37 -0800 From: Jerry Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo Nets Kevin Kelly wrote: > I was in a friends garage a couple years ago and I spotted a > big box with about 50 cargo nets in it. I asked him where > he got them all and he said that he travels a couple times a > month and finds them in the trunks of the GM cars he rents. [...] Gee, I travel and rent cars too, but the cargo nets I "find" in the rental cars *stay* there! There's a word for your friend's behavior, I think.... :^) - -jerry ------------------------------ End of [uucdigest] V3 #434 ************************** _________________________________________ | Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers: | (listed alphabetically) | Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com | Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Curry's Auto Service . http://www.currysauto.com | Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com | Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com | Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer! | The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com | UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com | Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com ����������������������������������������
