[uucdigest]          Tuesday, March 14 2000          Volume 03 : Number 435



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] cd changer
       [uuc] Status of S52 Engine in M Coupe
       [uuc] <misc>RE: Radar Detector
       Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo Nets
       [uuc] 5 series body style
       Re: [uuc] Status of S52 Engine in M Coupe
       [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks!
       [uuc] <e28> Bilstein install
       [uuc] <wob> Can't let this one go by...
       [uuc] PTG E46 M3 pictures
       [uuc] <WOB> Future of Cars
       [uuc] <E30> Shocking Suspension Questions
       [uuc] Breaking into an E36
       Re: [uuc] Breaking into an E36
       RE>[uuc] Re: Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?
       [uuc] Antique radar detectors

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:07:29 -0500
From: "tim ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] cd changer

The changer you have will only work with the BMW radio with the infar red
slider control for bass/treble/balance... the radio has a pyrimad shape
button for controling seek/scan/ff/rev... If you don't have this radio, your
changer won't work.

>ate: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:00:40 -0500
>rom: "Kevin Rowley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [uuc] Another CD changer question

>Can anyone tell me which (if any) CD changer works in an '89 535i?  I think
>I have the right one, but would like to verify if anyone has such a beast.
>The changer I have is made by Alpine (but branded BMW), kind of gray in
>color, and has a black DIN cable, a yellow wire with fuse holder and a
black
>wire coming out of the back.

>If this is the correct one, I am assuming that I will need to wire the car,
>since I am sure the thing is not pre-wired.  I will also need to acquire
>bracketry, since none is in the car or attached to the changer.  So, anyone
>been here before me?  Any advice you'd like to share?  Thanks!

>- -Kevin Rowley

- ------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:12:20 +0000
From: Don Trieu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Status of S52 Engine in M Coupe

What is BMW's plans for the S52 engine in the M Coupe & Roadster?
Will
the M Coupe and Roadster get the new M3 engine.


TIA
Don

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:16:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Ron Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <misc>RE: Radar Detector

Gotta agree with Rob, et al.  I too had a BEL for
years.  Sure it worked.  Open highway, with nothing to
false...worked fine. Never hardly used the thing
around town, as the falsing was too annoying.  And the
little rice-grain buttons drove me nuts.  I've had a
V1 for about 4 months. HALLELULAH! PRAISE THA LAWD! 
The Valentine is like no other..Let me relay a
real-life experience..

"Someone I know" (wink wink) is driving a 2000 LS at
about 90mph on the DC Capital Beltway one evening.
Left lane, light traffic, maybe moving 10mph faster
than other traffic.  "He" approaches the vicinity of
the Jack Kent Cooke stadium/US Air Arena.  V1 starts
to go off.  Weak X band, as opposed to the highly
suspicious K band MD state cops tend to use
religiously.  V1 indicates its off to the side.
Ahh..must be a false.  No need to slow down.  But
wait...V1 gives off a "new alert" tone, and a "2" is
now indicated in the bogey counter!  Whats that?
another "X" warning?  This time the arrows are showing
one on the side, and one on the rear, quickly
switching to both in the rear.  No problem...obvious
falses, increase speed to 110mph.  Within seconds, the
V1 has fallen silent...Beautiful!

Now, the moral of the story?  With a lesser detector,
the driver of that said 2000 LS would have probably
slowed down, as the multi occurrences of radar
detection would have had the detector going off like
Pablo Escobar's beeper.  Was the source ahead, lying
in wait?  No way to tell, so the "driver" would have
been forced to do the unthinkable and slow down for no
good reason, possibly setting off a chain reaction
crash behind him.  But with the V1, it allowed "him"
to continue cruising at his safely established pace!

(On behalf of the "driver") Thanx V1!!!!

Ron Browne
Bowie, MD

PS..also, the V1 in (at leastfull-logic mode) GREATLY
reduces false signals many other detectors pick up
routinely.  
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:18:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Moe Drippins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo Nets

> I was in a friends garage a couple years ago and I spotted a
> big box with about 50 cargo nets in it.  I asked him where
> he got them all and he said that he travels a couple times a
> month and finds them in the trunks of the GM cars he rents.

So you mean he steals them.


- -- 
Just Moe
'95 540 6 speed, BL/SS
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:23:22 -0500
From: "Binder, Larry - Paoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] 5 series body style

Hello all,
I am starting to like the 5 series BMW body style, allot.  Does anyone know
if BMW plans on changing this body style anytime soon?  I've seen pictures
of the next 7 series but I'm not sure where the current 5's are in body
styles. I think the current style started in 96(?)
I've been looking at some 97 528i cars.  Is there anything in particular
that I should know about these cars.  What should I watch out for?  Should I
bother getting a certified preowned one?  What options/packages should I
look for on this car. Only the 540i is available in a 6 speed right?

Larry
97 318i (for now)

Mech. Designer/Draftsman
Synthes Spine

*************************************************************************
The opinions and statements expressed above are mine, and do not reflect
that of my employer.
*************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:34:44 -0500
From: ben keyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Status of S52 Engine in M Coupe

Don Trieu wrote:

> What is BMW's plans for the S52 engine in the M Coupe & Roadster?
> Will the M Coupe and Roadster get the new M3 engine.

SOP (start of production) is supposed to be September of this year for
M coupe & roadster.  engine may be slightly different power rating due
to tuning.

numbers will likely be limited due to engine supply going to M3
production. predictions are that sticker will increase $4-5k in the
US, which is not a bad trade-off considering the additional 100bhp
we'll be getting.

no official word as of yet on it though.

another rumour (tho not from anyone I trust) is that there will be no
'01 M coupe/roadster & a '02 will be released in early calender '01.


There is as yet no word on the status of the new 3.0l non-M engine for
the Z3 coupe.  it is apparently going in the Z3 roadster sometime this
year.

cost of EPA certification of the unique drivetrain combination in the
Z3 coupe balanced against the extremely low sales (less than 1000
units) was cited as the reason that the '00 2.8l Z3 was killed for the
US market.  demand (or lack thereof) will dictate whether the 3.0l
makes it into the US Z3 coupe.



Ben Keyes
'99 M coupe
'88 M5

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:44:46 -0600
From: Michael Weishaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks!

Man oh man, this web page has kept me entertained all morning.

http://rinkworks.com/dialect/

It can dialectize whatever you type in, and will do it in Redneck (my
favorite), jive, cockney, Elmer Fudd, Swedish chef, moron, and pig
latin.

OR, what is really hilarious, is to put in a web URL and have it
translate an entire web page.  I did www.uucmotorwerks.com into redneck,
and can't stop laughing.

Michael
88 M3

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:37:49 -0600
From: Scott Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <e28> Bilstein install

Howdy, guys.

Over the weekend I started the install on a set of 4 new Bilstein HD's
(Many thanks to Erick Baumeister for his help in this project.)  The rubber
bumpers on the rear struts had disintegrated into nothing and the dealer
can't get the new bumpers until Friday, so the Black Bomber is resting
comfortably on jack stands right now.  Oh well, this gives me a good
opportunity to change out the thrust arm bushings, replace the front window
trim, and do a brake service while I wait for my parts to come in.

When I took the front strut assemblies apart, I found (surprise!) that it
already had Bilsteins installed.  The struts were about two inches shorter
when extended, and an inch and a half shorter when compressed than the new
ones, and they compressed much more easily.  "Aha," I guessed, "These must
be worn out Sport struts!  

Wrong.

I called the 1-800 number on the strut box, and the nice folks at Bilstein
told me that what I had on my hands was a pair of old Comfort struts.  Huh.
 They said that they were supposed to be shorter than HD's, but they
couldn't tell me why.  Does anyone out there want to hazard a guess?   HD's
are a bolt-in replacement for Comforts, despite the difference in length,
right?  I don't think the suspension on the car has been lowered, since it
seems to be riding at the same height as most other e28's I see (although I
have yet to whip out a tape measure and confirm this on another e28 at a
stoplight...)

So whaddya think?  Did they tell me right?  Will I be okay installing the
longer HD struts?   Any insights would be appreciated.

Scott
1985 535i: 5 speed, Sharked, and not even as fast as an Isetta when it's on
jacks :-(

186,282 miles per second:

It isn't just a good idea, it's the law!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:51:40 -0800
From: tabe johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <wob> Can't let this one go by...

Discussion about radar...


>Rob answers correctly, NONE are as good as V-1!!!!!  I've been using
>detectors since 1893, when I bought my first P-car, and put an Escort in it.
>(Mike Valentine designed it).  I've stuck with his products ever since.

I don't know what impresses me most:

1) You're at least 121 years old.
2) You had a radar detector in 1893.  That's caution!  They didn't have radar
     guns until about 70 years later!
3) You were driving a P-car then?  Wow....


- --tabe johnson
1898 352 si

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:05:05 -0500
From: John Sabatini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] PTG E46 M3 pictures

Early pictures from Sebring of the new PTG E46 M3 from an EXCELLENT website,
FastDetails.com.  Thank you Tim Crete!

This car looks awesome!!!

Do the link and at the end of the text are some great pictures.

http://www.fastdetails.com/sebring2k/race/sebday2.htm

Tim's comment on the new E46 M3 from the text...

"And then there's the exciting new BMW E46, ably thrown about by Hans Stuck
in the early session. This is an extremely attractive machine, looking a bit
like a giant version of the Z3 (from the front, anyway). The new PTG
contender looks every bit the German Touring Car-style, with huge fender
flares and skirts, with louvers in the hood, a large NACA duct on the roof,
and a shapely air dam. For the morning sessions the team had not yet applied
any graphics, which let the shapes of the car stand out. Its speed in race
trim is still unknown of course, but it should be very interesting to watch
qualifying between this car and the Porsches, which look like road cars by
comparison to the new E46. Well done PTG/BMW."

Also check out Speedvision.com for another great picture and article.

http://www.speedvision.com/pub/articles/racing/06road/000313d.html

See ya at the races!

John Sabatini

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:07:55 -0500
From: "Dorffer, Rich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <WOB> Future of Cars

I just got back from lunch.  During the short five minute walk, I saw a
brand new:

        Toyota Echo
        Honda Insight
        Ford Focus

All three of these cars could have just as easily come out of the same
design team....UGLY.

If this is the future of cars to come, I will keep my E36 M3 thank you very
much.  One of the best looking cars I have ever seen in my humble opinion.
Yes, I know, comparing an M3 to the likes of these cars is like comparing
avocados to kiwis (or something like that).

Best regards,

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:05:48 -0800
From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E30> Shocking Suspension Questions

I must say, I thought I knew pretty much all I need to know about E30
suspensions, to the point where I was giving advice on a regular basis.  Now I'm
not so sure, so I take back all the advice and instead I'll ask my questions.

I am contemplating upgrading the springs and shocks on my 1990 325i.  A fellow
club member (only 3 miles from my house, no less!) offered to sell me his used
E30 M3 stock springs at a price I cannot refuse.  Of course, I need
shocks/struts to match.  I've been happy with Bilstein Sports in the past (E24,
E28), so I thought that is the way I'd go.  The car currently has 325is springs
(stiffer, not shorter than 325i springs) and Bilstein HDs from my previous car,
a 1987 325is (R.I.P.).

Conventional wisdom (often being neither conventional nor wise) says that the
HDs are for cars that are at or very near stock ride height, while the Sports
are for cars that have been lowered, oh, say more than 3/4 of an inch.  Thus my
assumption was that the Sports would be the way to go.

But this morning I opened the BMP catalog (just trying to get an idea on prices,
not necessarily to buy from them) and I find that they list the same shocks for
both the 325i and the M3.  In other words, the part numbers for Sports is the
same for both models.

Now, the M3 comes from the factory sitting about an inch lower than the 325i,
more or less, so it seems to me that it should have different shocks.  So what's
up with that?

Anyway, if you've done anything like this on your car, please relate your
experiences, good or bad, I'd love to hear them.  I also might be interested in
a set of used Bilstein Sports, assuming that that is really the shock that I
need.

TIA and all that,

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/isH about to become a 325i/is/M3H?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:08:57 -0500
From: "Lee Leslie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Breaking into an E36

If anyone actually knows how to do this.. please do not post it to the
internet... as we all know the digest is forever posted to the World.... I'd
just assume not give thieves more knowledge of how my car works...

Thanks & please kill this thread

Lee
97' M3/4 24K

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:13:52 -0500
From: "Dean Boucouras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Breaking into an E36

I agree with Lee on this one.  I don't think that we need to post how to
break into our cars.

Dean

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:17:41 -0800
From: "Chao, Harvey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE>[uuc] Re: Combustion Chamber Deposits Cleaning.  Water?

A few folks have mentioned chemical treatments that are allowed to sit, and
then upon restarting generate large volumes of smoke.  That can get you in
trouble out here in CA if someone sees it and complains or if a cop sees it.
Don't ask how I know.

Harvey
 - I live with fear, death, and evil...but I used to be able to turn it off
and use a Mac. "  Author Unknown  
 - Dragged over to the "Dark Side" under duress  This day, Thursday, 9/16/99
- - A dark day indeed!
 - Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.
          -- Ferenc Mantfeld

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:20:16 -0500
From: "Kathy Lyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Antique radar detectors

Bill Mitchell wrote:

>  I've been using
> detectors since 1893, when I bought my first P-car, 

Wow Bill, you are old!
- -- 
Lyle & Associates CPA
Financial AccountAbility
http://www.lylecpa.com

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #435
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to