[uucdigest]          Tuesday, March 14 2000          Volume 03 : Number 436



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] Auto Detail
       Re: [uuc] PTG E46 M3 pictures
       [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine 
       [uuc] Alternators 
       [uuc] Fans and Door Locks
       Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One? ????
       [uuc] Re: Cargo nets
       [uuc] E46/E36 16x7 wheels F/S $800 Irvine CA
       Re: [uuc] 5 series body style
       [uuc] Seen on the BMW newsgroup..
       RE: [uuc] Alternators 
       Re: [uuc] <WOB> Future of Cars
       [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One???
       [uuc] Test
       [uuc] radar detectors

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:21:27 -0600
From: Darling Christopher AMC/CEOP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Auto Detail

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good auto detailing shop in the St
Louis, MO/O' Fallon, IL area??  (Private response is best.)

TIA,

______end

Cod
Capt Chris Darling
HQ AMC/CEOP
DSN 576-5930, Comm (618)256-5930

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:25:09 -0500
From: "James Sheridan-Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] PTG E46 M3 pictures

> This car looks awesome!!!
> 
> Do the link and at the end of the text are some great pictures.
> 
> http://www.fastdetails.com/sebring2k/race/sebday2.htm

Damn, that's a pretty car!  I'll take two, please. ;)

- --
James Sheridan-Peters
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
'98 323is National Capital Chapter
'85 SCCA Spec RX-7 #00

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:28:52 -0800 (PST)
From: kjk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine 

The only thing I don't like about my V1 is that I have
it mounted just right of the mirror. When my wife is
with me she always wants to use the vanity mirror on
the visor and 1) she complains about it interfering
with her handiwork and 2) when she has the visor down
it blocks my rear protection. I still haven't fixed
the little light switch that is supposed to activate
when you open the mirror (it comes on intermittently)
because it is too amusing to watch Donna get mad at
it.

Other than that, even my wife tells me to get the V1
out of the M5 when we are using another car for a long
trip.  

Question for the women on the Digest, what make up do
you not put on in the house that needs to be put on in
the car? Donna just ignores me when I ask her
(probably still mad about the mirror. The one on my
side works fine by the way. I use it to discourage
tailgating high-beamers).

Kevin J. Kelly
91 M5
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:01:37 -0800
From: "Kevin Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Alternators 

Henry Caldwell wrote:

>My '92 original alternator was 80 amp. When I
>replaced it I had the option of going with 80,
>105 or 120. All were used on the e36. I installed
>the 120 amp.

Remember if you don't "need" a bigger alternator (extra
lights, big stereo etc.) a bigger alternator will just be a
drain on the engine and you will have slightly less power
and use slightly more gas (something to think about with gas
in SF at $2.15/gal).

I learned the basics of auto math (volts x amps = watts)
after spending the night on the side of the road in Mexico.
I had a few close calls with cows at night driving to surf
spots south of Ensanada (there are not a lot of fences in
rural Mexico).  I put 6 lights on top of my Toyota 4x4 (KC
Daylighters, KC Pencil Beams and a Cbie' Super Oscars) so I
could see for over a mile down the road.  It didn't take
long with over 1000 watts of lights (I also had square Hella
H-4 headlights with 100W high beams) to drain my battery
with an 80 amp alternator (12 volts x 80 amps = only 960
watts).

Kevin Kelly
BMW CCA 50039

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:44:07 -0800
From: "Kevin Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Fans and Door Locks

Craig Meuchel wrote:

> I would also like to replace mine and save some
> horsepower.  Living in Montana, I do not need the
>fan in the winter time anyhow.

I have driven a Range Rover without the fan for short
periods of time (between water crossings) and I would be
surprised if the power gain even shows up on a dyno (I did
not feel any more power at all).

I don't think it is worth the risk to remove the engine
driven fan since a hot Range Rover can warp a head so
easily.

>On another subject, I have two door locks with problems.
>One only goes up, one only goes down.  Has anyone had
>success fixing these, or is replacement the only way to go
>on this problem?  Where is the best place to get
>replacement parts?

I have had a note to myself to write up an article on Range
Rover power door locks for John Brabyn's web site, but I
have been real busy (work, volunteer work, and now trying to
get my 1999 taxes done).  I see that John has been able to
find the time to work on his site and even has a new URL:
http://www.rangerovers.net
So I will make an effort to get something done soon.

I just ordered a few more lock actuators from Parts Express
and the price went down! they were under $6 each  (vs. over
$100 at the dealer).  If a door lock will only lock or
unlock it is on its way out and you need to replace it (it
is impossible to take the OEM actuators apart).  It is often
possible to adjust the worn actuators (if they are still
moving both ways) so they will lock and unlock.  The
actuators are screwed to a plate with four oval holes
designed for adjustment.  You can make the holes bigger with
a rat tail file if you need to adjust them more.

Kevin Kelly

P.S. if I don't post that I have a full lock write up sent
to John for his site in a week remind me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:40:08 -0500
From: "Dorffer, Rich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One? ????

Benjamin,

I just need to feel a little peace of mind by agreeing with Rob that the V1
is the best (who is obviously much quicker on the keyboard today than I).
This topic has often been discussed and this may be the one subject almost
everyone on the list agrees with.

I have also owned a Uniden RD-9XL and a Bel 745STi.  Both are now collecting
dust in my basement (maybe I should try to pawn them at Ebay..everyone else
does).

Needless to say, I would not spend fifty dollars on the next best radar
detector.  The V1 is that much better than the rest.  C&D's review of the V1
(roughly six years ago and again two years ago) were the best reviews they
may have ever done.  My truck and car are both hardwired for my V1 which I
move between the two.  I do not even bother using my Uniden RD-9XL or Bel
745STi in the lesser vehicle as I just think they are inadequate.  I would
rather move the V1 around (although hard wiring and an additional suction
mount, mine always sticks by the way, aid in this continual transfer between
vehicles.  I have often thought of hardwiring my bike for my V1 as well.

YMMV but I like the V1.  Anything else is a distant second.  The cost of a
V1 is more than offset by one speeding ticket and potential insurance rate
increases until you hair goes gray (or bald). 

FYI, I believe you can get a V1 for $350 if it is used or refurbished from
Valentine.

Best regards,

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:43:25 -0500
From: "Tim Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets

>>I was in a friends garage a couple years ago and I spotted a
>>big box with about 50 cargo nets in it.  I asked him where
>>he got them all and he said that he travels a couple times a
>>month and finds them in the trunks of the GM cars he rents.
>>I dug through the box and found a double sided one for the
>>Range Rover tailgate and a couple regular ones for the Range
>>Rover load area and the M5 trunk.

I don't want to get all moralistic and stuff, but how is this any different
than walking into your local stealer, opening the trunk of a car on the
showroom and taking the net?

Tim T

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:10:30 -0800
From: "Brian Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] E46/E36 16x7 wheels F/S $800 Irvine CA

E46 non-sport, premium wheels in excellent condition. They should have
new 205/55-16 tires on them (I still have to go retrieve them from the
dealer). I don't think there is a single mark on the wheels.

I would prefer to sell them to someone local, but I will ship them for
actual charges from a place similar to Mailboxes Etc.

You are responsible for knowing what they will fit. However, I have 18x8
TSW Imola's mounted on my E46 and they were originally mounted on an
E36.

Brian
Irvine CA

___________________________________________________________________
To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:43:13 -0500
From: "Bill Matthews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] 5 series body style

From: Binder, Larry - Paoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hello all,
> I am starting to like the 5 series BMW body style, allot.
<snip>
 Only the 540i is available in a 6 speed right?
> 

And the 550i ;^))))

Bill matthews
Hockessin DE
00 MGeeze (550i)
3 Volvos

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:31:15 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Seen on the BMW newsgroup..

No knowledge of this - just passing it along (seems a certain young
lady was looking for):

>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: CD Changer for sale
>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:22:21 GMT
>Organization: Prodigy Internet http://www.prodigy.com
>
>
>Pioneer 6 Disc Changer works on 96-2000/328, 97-2000/528 only 5 weeks
>old, (traded-in car and kept changer). Asking $290.00  email if
>interested

Doesn't sound like a bad price at all..


...................................................................
Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa
...................................................................

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:51:25 -0800
From: "John Coffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Alternators 

I disagree.  Alts load on an engine is related to the load the regulator puts
on the alt.  The load on the engine with a 120A alt is similar to a 80A alt at
the same electrical load.  The drawbacks are weight and size.

- -John

- -----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Kevin Kelly
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 9:02 AM
To: List UUC
Subject: [uuc] Alternators


Henry Caldwell wrote:

>My '92 original alternator was 80 amp. When I
>replaced it I had the option of going with 80,
>105 or 120. All were used on the e36. I installed
>the 120 amp.

Remember if you don't "need" a bigger alternator (extra
lights, big stereo etc.) a bigger alternator will just be a
drain on the engine and you will have slightly less power
and use slightly more gas (something to think about with gas
in SF at $2.15/gal).

I learned the basics of auto math (volts x amps = watts)
after spending the night on the side of the road in Mexico.
I had a few close calls with cows at night driving to surf
spots south of Ensanada (there are not a lot of fences in
rural Mexico).  I put 6 lights on top of my Toyota 4x4 (KC
Daylighters, KC Pencil Beams and a Cbie' Super Oscars) so I
could see for over a mile down the road.  It didn't take
long with over 1000 watts of lights (I also had square Hella
H-4 headlights with 100W high beams) to drain my battery
with an 80 amp alternator (12 volts x 80 amps = only 960
watts).

Kevin Kelly
BMW CCA 50039

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:58:45 -1000
From: Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] <WOB> Future of Cars

>         Toyota Echo
>         Honda Insight
>         Ford Focus
>
> All three of these cars could have just as easily come out of the same
> design team....UGLY.
>

first off, thanx for those who make the digest possible...i've been lurking a
little after the digest got started and have gained a lot of info...anywayz,
there's a story to the echo...a friend of mine whose family owns the local
toyota dealerships, said that everyone gawked at the design at first...but when
it was time for everyone to give thier opinions, someone said, "Remember, this
car was designed by one of the sons of "so-n-so" (cant remember the name)."
so-n-so is one of the top toyota engineers, and therefore the opinions changed
and the car was produced...OBMWC: my M3 loses to the toyota echo...in terms of
headroom :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:59:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Dinah G DeRoller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One???

> Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:01:03 -0400
> From: Steven Schlossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One?????

>> At 1:32 AM -0500 3/14/2000, Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks wrote:

>> The expression "penny wise and pound foolish" springs to mind, which would
>> describe me for the years I did not use the V1.  This is one very expensive
>> product that is worth the money *regardless* of your actual budget... if you
>> can't afford a V1, you can't afford to speed.

> And chicks dig it. ;)

> ..steven

Yes, we do ;)

Rob is 100% correct. I was helping a girlfriend get an x-mas gift for her
fiance...he wanted a V1, and she was convinced he would be happy with a 
much lesser detector. I told her if she wasn't going to get him a V1, then
don't get him any, because there is NO substitute.

- -Dinah

'97 M3, V1 equipped

   

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:01:25 -0600
From: Dog-n-Hog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Test

Sorry for the WOB.
Norm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:03:35 -0600
From: "Mendez, Andrew D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] radar detectors

V1 is the best, no question. However, Car & Driver did a test a while back
on the old (mid 1980s vintage) Escorts compared to detectors now available.
Guess what? They detected X and K bands (probably 90% of all speed-measuring
equipment out there) almost as well as the V1, and BETTER than all other
detectors. The new detectors do not focus on bread & butter X&K band so that
they can cover superwide band (which only a handful of jurisdictions have
ever used) and laser. No detector, even V1, is worth a damn vs. laser. So
you are 90% as covered with an ancient Escort. I would sell you the one I
had but some @#*# stole it a few years back along with my stereo, amp, and
basketball. 

Andy '95 M3 hard-wired V1 

PS how good is the V1? Mine went off this weekend a few hundred feet from a
cop car which was measuring traffic going the opposite direction. When the
radar is facing your way, the V1 picks it up a mile away. YMMV

- ------------------------------
This communication is from a law firm and may be privileged and
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this communication.

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #436
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to